Photo

Victoria Times Colonist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
746 replies to this topic

#41 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Is it just me or is the headline of this article a little out of wack?

http://www.timescolo...o-days-1.115285

I think they meant suspendered.

#42 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

And no, VV is no replacement for a real newspaper.

I disagree. I think this site IS a replacement when it comes to current events. We have seen time and time again that people who contibute here post all kinds of pics and vids while stuff is happening. Dont have to wait until tomorrow monring for what by then wil be old news.

Craigslist ,used Vic and kijiji have replaced the classifieds in the paper. Remember when the D section of the paper had reams of classified ads? No more. the biggest section of the classifed now are a few columns of Obituaries. At best the classifides may have 2 1/2 pages. No one sells cars in the paper anymore. No one posts rental accomodations any longer except for a few odd ball real eatate agencies who deal with rentals.

We are way past the time when there were 2 editions of the paper . No more morning and afternoon edition.

I still enjoy sitting down for a coffee and a newspaper in the coffee shop but I would never buy a paper again.

Why would I with free ones at the coffee shop or the unlimited FREE news available online.

#43 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

I think forums like VV are "Newspapers 2 dot oh" or whatever it is.

No longer is news a one-way street. Articles transform from read-once bits of information to platforms of discussion with readers becoming contributors.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#44 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

I disagree. I think this site IS a replacement when it comes to current events.

But there's a lot more to newspapers than current events. Yes we can read things like "there was a car crash" on VV, but that's just an observation, not reporting. You're not going to get interviews or statements from people on VV for the most part.

Why would I with free ones at the coffee shop or the unlimited FREE news available online.

That's the thing, a lot of the FREE online news sources are moving to non-FREE models. Eventually to get quality reporting you will be paying for it again.

#45 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

I think forums like VV are "Newspapers 2 dot oh" or whatever it is.

That would be "2.0" when written.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#46 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thanks ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

The mainstream media have profited from the ownership of the news since the dawn of newspapers. What social media has done is eviscerate the top-down approach to the dissemination of news and has created equity in how consumers of news access what they themselves consider news. Whether a newspaper actually contains news, as in investigated factually correct and unbiased timely information (IMO that is news), is more an issue of perception and dependent entirely on an individual's definition of news.

Knowing what I know now the majority of content reported by the local mainstream media is dependent on sources that today are largely releasing news themselves directly to the consumer: safety services; municipal governments; governmental departments; private companies; public organizations; etc. Ten years ago consumers of news did not have a means to access these news makers directly and to the consumer an article or a story about a governmental initiative really was news, not a re-write of a press release taken at face value.

Today many consumers know better and expect more. Unfortunately traditional news sources are struggling to give consumers more and this is where social media is far outpacing the stalwarts. Yes, what is published or aired on tv or the radio may contain quotes and may be a little more meatier than a press release or a statement by a news maker, but it rarely challenges those quotes and often fails to provide any material of substance that can be used by the consumer to make a definitive judgement. In short we take information presented by a news source at face value, be it correct or only partially so because the traditional news gives us no other choice.

I was the subject of a news story well over a decade ago and when the piece aired I was shocked, absolutely shocked at the number of inaccuracies. The "facts" were wrong or misleading, and anyone who saw the story would have consumed a completely inaccurate rendition of events, but as far as the news consumer was concerned, it was news because a reporter said so. My experience, sadly, has been echoed by countless others who cringe at the published facts behind the news they themselves helped create. Perhaps some of you have experienced something similar.

We as modern consumers of news seek the news we want, not the news someone else wants us to consume, and we seek it from individuals or sources that have an interest in or experience with a given topic (take Alex G. Tsakumis; he runs circles around the majority of political reporters in BC). Alex and others like him are, to me, the news, and the traditional media genuinely struggles to play catch-up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Bloggers like Alex T. don't provide "news", they provide "opinion".

I think that it will be a very sad day when all we have left is opinion and all you get to read or here is what the authors and their agendas want you to.

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

You must be mistaking him with somebody else. Alex reports what he calls "Exclusive Breaking News" days before the mainstream media latches onto it. Have a look through his articles and you'll see what I mean.

He has his feelers absolutely everywhere and while never shying away from opinion he is the unadulterated, most timely source of political news for British Columbians and not merely someone who has tasked him self with editorializing current events.

If we had an Alex for all of the major news topics we'd be in good hands.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Never heard of the guy but from what I can see he has an obnoxiously narcissistic site (autoplaying music, a slideshow of solely pictures of himself? My god) and writes mostly attack pieces about Christy Clark. You're saying this is a replacement for news?
That kind of dreck doesn't lead to a more enlightened population, it only leads to a more divided one.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Christy Clark is the news. The mainstream media report on press releases and run soundbites from the opposition. That, to the MSM, is the news, and if that's your interpretation of news, then by all means stick with what you feel comfortable with and believe to be all encompassing reporting.

For those who want real insight into the going-ons in the legislature without tongue-tied spin turn to Alex. I would encourage you to spend several days reading his articles and not judge a book by its cover.

Remember that right now political parties are spending hard cash advertising wherever they can. Out of fear of losing advertising dollars or access to politicians in a timely manner the mainstream media shy away from pointing too many fingers are throwing too much mud around. And this isn't just some crackpot theory, it's the nature of the business.

Know it all.

#52 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Christy Clark is the news. The mainstream media report on press releases and run soundbites from the opposition. That, to the MSM, is the news, and if that's your interpretation of news, then by all means stick with what you feel comfortable with and believe to be all encompassing reporting.

For those who want real insight into the going-ons in the legislature without tongue-tied spin turn to Alex. I would encourage you to spend several days reading his articles and not judge a book by its cover.

Remember that right now political parties are spending hard cash advertising wherever they can. Out of fear of losing advertising dollars or access to politicians in a timely manner the mainstream media shy away from pointing too many fingers are throwing too much mud around. And this isn't just some crackpot theory, it's the nature of the business.

Christy is the news to you because all Alex ever does is bash her on his site. The guy is no different than Rush or Glenn Beck. He uses a polarizing view of the world and a personal agenda to spin the facts to support his own opinion.

Sorry but I will take Canada AM over him.

#53 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

For opinion, I'll take Les Leyne or Keith Baldrey over Alex's hyperventilating any time. Yes, Alex is entertaining but that's really all his blog is. And opinion is different than news. Alex never uses the phrase "on the other hand..."
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#54 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

There has been a lot of research on these types of blogs. People seek them out because they support a particular opinion that they have (ie I hate the Liberals). The blogs reinforce that opinion and enhance it by continually providing the same myopic view on the world. The opinions then become more and more entrenched and radicalized as the feedback loop continues.

All of the talking heads on TV are referring to this situation these days as they comment on the Boston bombings and the radicalization of Muslim youth.

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

All of the talking heads on TV are referring to this situation these days as they comment on the Boston bombings and the radicalization of Muslim youth.

Are you suggesting Muslim youth today, living in North America, or more radical than they were 20 years ago? I don't think so.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#56 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Are you suggesting Muslim youth today, living in North America, or more radical than they were 20 years ago? I don't think so.

What I am saying is that he talking heads are claiming that Muslim youth read the blogs and become radicalized by what they read and believe to be true.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

What I am saying is that he talking heads are claiming that Muslim youth read the blogs and become radicalized by what they read and believe to be true.

And I'm saying I don't believe that. Muslim youth have access to much more information than ever in history, so they don't need to be indoctrinated by other radicals, they can see others ways of the world, on their own. I don't think movies like Silence of the Lambs have created more serial killers than there were in the 50's. And I don't think blogs are so mezmorizing.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#58 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Well here's the first story on his site:
http://alexgtsakumis...lanced-budgets/

I don't see a single thing in there that could be characterized as news. I don't care for Cristy Clark, but this is just opinion and not even backed up by anything.
If someone posted a comment like that on VV they would likely get moderated.

"It takes a particular kind of idiot to pretend they know finances."

"She hasn’t the first clue what she’s saying"

" It’s impossible to listen to without that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. Not unlike watching a car crash with multiple fatalities."

"She’s really clueless"

"Clark showed an appalling inability to comprehend even basic issues."

Thing is, if he had backed up his opinion with facts, such as "Here's a quote from the show and here is why it is provably wrong" then that would be news, or at least useful opinion. But he didn't do that, so it's just a rant with no value whatsoever.

So maybe the top story on his site isn't the best example of his normal writing, but clearly if someone is so radically biased, then any other information he publishes is put into question. Spanky's comparison to the far right in the US is a good one. The emphasis is on firing up his fan base, not on accuracy or balance.

#59 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

And I'm saying I don't believe that. Muslim youth have access to much more information than ever in history, so they don't need to be indoctrinated by other radicals, they can see others ways of the world, on their own. I don't think movies like Silence of the Lambs have created more serial killers than there were in the 50's. And I don't think blogs are so mezmorizing.

Didn't say that I agree with the talking heads!

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Didn't say that I agree with the talking heads!

I know.

I'd rather the talking heads say, "wow, it's quite amazing that in a country with 300 million people, we only get the very odd wacko doing things like the Boston bombing. In countries like Mexico, they have a full-blown gang-wars with mass-killings and beheadings every week, and even 'civilized' countries like South Africaa have extraordinarily high murder rates compared to the US."

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users