Photo

Where to get the best freshest eggs in Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ashpool

ashpool
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of an egg fanatic. I have been getting my eggs from Costco (the 2 pack of omega3 enriched ones with really orangey yokes). However, I don't think they are all that great and was wondering if there are places where I can get farm fresh eggs?

Thanks!

#2 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Take a Sunday drive out the Peninsula - Oldfield etc... Can't get much fresher than that.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

There is a house a couple of houses down from mine. Just pop into their backyard.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

I assume that the new public market in the Hudson starting up in June will have lots of farm fresh, free range eggs.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5 ashpool

ashpool
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Where do you live lol? I am looking for a place up near Sidney as I enjoy the drive.... if anyoneh as a specific location, please let me know :)

#6 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

The best eggs come from a friend, or a neighbour, or a neighbour's friend's neighbour.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Take a Sunday drive out the Peninsula - Oldfield etc... Can't get much fresher than that.

Exactly, take any rural back road and you will see eggs for sale every mile.

Some people think that there needs to be a rooster in the hen house so to speak, to get the best eggs, I have no idea of the validity of that.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Look for places with actual chickens visible. I have heard some folks buy eggs at the store and sell them roadside so that they can claim farm status for their property taxes.

#9 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Look for places with actual chickens visible. I have heard some folks buy eggs at the store and sell them roadside so that they can claim farm status for their property taxes.

I doubt this happens to any significant extent. Would be almost impossible to hit the income requirements.

"Minimum income requirements are calculated as follows:

a) $10,000 on land less than .8 hectares (2 acres);
b) $2,500 on land between .8 hectares (2 acres) and 4 hectares (10 acres);
c) on land larger than 4 hectares (10 acres), you must earn $2,500 plus five per cent of the actual value of any farm land in excess of 4 hectares;
d) $10,000, in order to qualify unused land where the area in production by the owner makes up at least 25 per cent of the portion of the parcel outside the ALR."

http://www.bcassessm... Farm Land.aspx

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

My boss knows someone that has chickens. I'm lucky that I can take eggs back home from work, no driving around required. Normally $3.75 a dozen, but lately the eggs have been small so they're only $2 a dozen. Put the word out because undoubtedly you have a friend of a friend that knows someone that can put you in contact with someone who can set you up. Almost as easy as buying pot.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'm not sure if you can get Ostrich eggs from the farm in Saanichton?

#12 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I doubt this happens to any significant extent. Would be almost impossible to hit the income requirements.

"Minimum income requirements are calculated as follows:

a) $10,000 on land less than .8 hectares (2 acres);
b) $2,500 on land between .8 hectares (2 acres) and 4 hectares (10 acres);
c) on land larger than 4 hectares (10 acres), you must earn $2,500 plus five per cent of the actual value of any farm land in excess of 4 hectares;
d) $10,000, in order to qualify unused land where the area in production by the owner makes up at least 25 per cent of the portion of the parcel outside the ALR."

http://www.bcassessm... Farm Land.aspx

I don't think that they actually hit the required totals necessarily. Just makes it look plausible that they could.

#13 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

I will have chickens again shortly and should have an egg surplus my about mid May - my six chickens will produce about three dozen eggs a week, more than we can eat without getting creative

#14 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

We have 7 chickens at our place, and sell the eggs as part of our farm status. We use just over 2 acres for various products so that our threshold is $2500. They eat 16% organic lay mash and have a pen around 10x10m. The eggs are $4/doz. 4 of our chickens unfortunately are young and lazy and dont lay any legs yet, so our current output is spoken for. Maybe ill post here if we start accumulating excess. We live by elk lake.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

4 of our chickens unfortunately are young and lazy and dont lay any legs yet

They have to be older and motivated to lay eggs?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#16 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

They have to be older and motivated to lay eggs?

They have to be older, apparently. I bought them off a guy who resells chickens on UsedVic, and after complaining, he guessed the that chickens weren't as old as her thought they were when he first got them. He gave me a free chicken as a sorry, which I was happy with. I did some message board reading online, and the date in which a Rhode Island Red will lay its first egg can be anywhere from 20 to 30 weeks of age.

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:39 AM

The numbers show that eggs are probably a bigger part of your diet now than they were a few years ago.
On average, Canadians are eating about three dozen more eggs each year compared to 2007, according to the federal agriculture department.
Indeed, per capita egg demand, which troughed in the mid-1990s at 17 dozen a year, is now approaching levels not seen since the early 1980s when annual consumption was nearly 22 dozen per capita.
 "We feel like we're in a bit of a sweet spot for the demand for eggs for the foreseeable future," says Tim Lambert, head of the Egg Farmers of Canada. more; http://www.cbc.ca/ne...3032173?cmp=rss

#18 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

Yeah, friend of a friend always has the best eggs.  There's a lady at my wife's office that has chickens and sells to everyone there.  You just sign up on a sheet and she brings in eggs a few times a week.  Charges less than what you'd pay at the supermarket too.   Sometimes the eggs need a slight wash but otherwise they are wonderful.  People's pet chickens generally have pretty good lives too, selling their eggs is generally just something to do with all the damn eggs rather than a money-making venture. 

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, friend of a friend always has the best eggs.  There's a lady at my wife's office that has chickens and sells to everyone there.  You just sign up on a sheet and she brings in eggs a few times a week.  Charges less than what you'd pay at the supermarket too.   Sometimes the eggs need a slight wash but otherwise they are wonderful.  People's pet chickens generally have pretty good lives too, selling their eggs is generally just something to do with all the damn eggs rather than a money-making venture.

"a slight wash" they are in the shell aren't they?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

4 of our chickens unfortunately are young and lazy and dont lay any legs yet, so our current output is spoken for.

Aren't the younger ones more likely to lay the double-yolk eggs though?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users