BUILT
The Argus
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 615-635 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 4
The Argus is a four storey mixed-use office and commercial building in the 600-block of Fort Street.

The bu... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Argus on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Argus | Office, commercial | 4-storeys; 17m | Built - completed in 2014

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Seriously though, won't this building be the first of its type in Victoria? I'm trying to remember if there's another faux-heritage commercial block that was built from scratch. There's the big reno job on the 700-block of Yates, but that was an actual historic building that they gutted and transformed. I think the only commercial building that comes close would be the faux-heritage hotel wing at the corner of Johnson and Broad? Are there any others?

Wasn't the 50's faux heritage wing of the Customs Building on Gov't at Wharf built from scratch? I dunno...

And I guess you could call the Sussex faux somewhat-art deco.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

Wharf/Government wasn't built as faux-heritage. It had an awful modern facade originally and then it was renovated into faux-heritage a few decades later. You're right, the Sussex tower is probably the best example of what I was talking about. I forgot all about it. I suppose you could also claim parts of the Eaton's Centre, too, but I'm inclined to exclude the centre from such discussions because I really don't think of it as a faux-heritage building. I think of it as a modern building that happens to be partially covered in faux-heritage wrapping.

#103 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

That is the most defeatest attitude I have ever heard. It's no wonder we end up with 4-storey boxes if locals can't have more imagination than this.

You are free to go down to the bank and take out a $50 million loan and build your own tower, it is a free country after all.  Or you can take our your nomination papers at the next elections if you really want to change things so bad

Or you can stand on the sidewalk and complain which does nothing - a bigger defeatest attitude in my opinon

#104 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

Or I can try and encourage discussion on a community forum such as Vibrant Victoria as to why Victorians often seem to set their goals so low.

#105 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

^and how far has that gotten you?

#106 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

I would say on the whole the impact of the discussions on Vibrant Victoria have been positive in shifting the idea that Victoria was unanimous in its objection to change to a more nuanced position that quality is more important than whether a building meets arbitrary density and height limits.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

Absolutely. The efforts of members of this website shifted the idea of what is appropriate development significantly from that of the 70's-90's. There is still a great deal of work to be done but where we are and where we came from are a world apart.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

Local city councilors know VV exists. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them read the construction forums for feedback and insight. We know at least one has posted here in the past (Isitt).

#109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

The entire JSB thread, the original not the one for the new bridge, was archived by the City of Victoria as a record of public discourse during the decision process. I can't say that all councillors follow the debate here but several of them do for sure. From across the region councillors do.
  • Mixed365 likes this

Know it all.

#110 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

All due respect, a few words on a forum is not going to convince me as a developer to increase the heights of my buildings

I will admit if Argus was mine, I would have gone for more floors, perhaps 6-8 given the location.  On the other hand, there is not a lot of demand for office and retail space right now

#111 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

It would be difficult to incorporate parking into this building. That could be a reason for not going taller.

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

And another reason is the developer had a single tenant in mind that wanted the entire space. It's easier just to build what is requires rather than incorporate extra capacity that may not be filled while wasting a great deal of time on the civic process (and wasting money waiting for a temant), time the current tenant did not have.

This is how Boardwalk went ahead, pre-leased. Midtown Court on the other hand will likely sit mostly empty and shed money for a while.

Know it all.

#113 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

Walking by this today I was thinking of how much those employees in the west-side of the Yarrow building must be sick of the construction next door over the last number of years with the Sovereign and now the Argus. However, given that they are mostly medical and service based businesses maybe the construction crews and tenants are making it all worthwhile. In any case, I'm sure they are eagerly awaiting this building's completion.

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

Windows are now being installed. They're really huffing it on this project.

Know it all.

#115 Candarius

Candarius
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

Windows are now being installed. They're really huffing it on this project.

Well, the For lease sign has gone up  on the current Auditor General building so I think there is a definite timeline in play! I have also heard that the Argus building is expected to be at lock up stage by the end of August

#116 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

I've heard a move in date of mid October and that's why they are rushing

#117 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

Well, the For lease sign has gone up  on the current Auditor General building so I think there is a definite timeline in play!

I wonder who will move in here. This building could really use an refresh - I've heard stories about things like a terrible HVAC system, single-pane windows and rodent problems. With a bit of work this could generate premium rent with it's location and views of the harbour (and its parking lots).

#118 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Windows are being installed. Interior framing ongoing. Be interesting to see if that mid-October date is realistic.

#119 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

Looking good.  :thumbsup:

15229934955_a9f16d5ddc_h.jpg

• gumgum and D.L. like this

#120 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

Will have to see it in person but looks a little too faux heritage and not as modern as the renderings.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users