Photo

The Victoria emergency (fire/ambulance) services thread

• Please log in to reply
2560 replies to this topic

#381 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:15 AM

Or maybe they used a preconceived notion about the driver ie. young and female, and decided to take it easy on her.

Reminds me of the young and very attractive but hammered drunk driving chick I saw let off with a warning a few years ago downtown by a male VicPD officer who couldn't have been much older than 25.

#382 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

Isn't a "charge" for criminal activity (whether or not it was an accident), and a "ticket" is for breaking the rules of the road but you're not necessarily criminally negligent?

You can be charged and ticketed at the same time but the two are mutually exclusive in the eyes of the law, no?

A ticket is a "charge". A charge isn't just for criminal activity, but can be for a contravention of the motor vehicle act.

I agree that if you're driving with a drink in your hand and crash, then you should be charged with driving without due care.

But perhaps in this case the injuries to her friends and the damage to her car were more punishing than a ticket would be. 

If I'm drinking something with a straw, I'll occasionally take a sip while moving if there's little or no traffic around or I'm stopped at a light.

Cup of coffee which requires me to tilt my head back to drink?  Only when stopped. 

There's a difference between someone who is focused on the road, analyzes what's going on around them and concludes it's safe to take a sip of a drink vs. someone who is distracted by several friends in the car dancing and singing to 90's dance music cranked up to speaker-distorting levels. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#383 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

I tilt the cup when I drink from it not my head
  • jonny likes this

#384 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the clarification, sebberry. I think the police did the right thing here. She's got enough on her mind and luckily no bystanders were hurt or other vehicles involved.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#385 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

I remember an accident here about 20 or 30  years ago.

It went something like this.

A guy driving his car veered off the road and killed a pedestrian

He was charged with criminal negligence or dangerous driving causing death;. He was charged  and went to court.

His defense was that he sneezed and could not see for a split second and did nothing willing to cause his car to hit the pedestrian.

He had told the cops this but they decided he should be charged any way

The court found him not guilty because expert medical testimony confirmed that it is impossible to keep ones eyes open when sneezing and therefore he was not negligent.

In case like the spilled coffee drink I agree that the lesson learned is valuable enough that the woman will be aware of the consequences in the future

I dont always agree with cops or crown counsel because when charging or trying someone in court they only see the black and white nothing else.

Judges are in place to see the gray areas and that is a good thing.

Charging this girl would have been a huge waste of money

#386 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Some guy fell off a balcony at Parkside early this morning (2:30am) and died.  He's from Quebec.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#387 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

Is Parkside the one at Humbolt /Quadra

#388 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

A Hotel or Timeshare Hotel?

#389 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

A Hotel or Timeshare Hotel?

Ya, that's the one.  It's both.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#390 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

A ticket is a "charge". A charge isn't just for criminal activity, but can be for a contravention of the motor vehicle act.

Correct.  If I recall right (but I ain't a lawyer) there are two types of offenses in B.C.  They are "summary" and "criminal".  The former are the less serious ones and are commonly (but not always) dealt with by issuing a ticket.

#391 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

A ticket is a charge no matter what way you look at it.

If you read a ticket is has an ALLEGED Offence and it has Info on it as how to fight the Alleged offence same as a criminal charge

#392 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:22 PM

Exactly its not like Oak Bay is lacking in Funds especially for something as important as life saving equipment for their emergency responders.

Why should the public need to subsidize [jaws of life]

Oak Bay News [Victoria, B.C] 03 July 2008

The Jaws of Life were needed to pull a 26-year-old man from his vehicle following an early morning collision Wednesday.

The man, who was taken to hospital with serious, but non-life threatening injuries, was travelling east in the 2000 block of Oak Bay Avenue at about 2:20 a.m. when his Chrysler New Yorker crossed the centre line and hit three unoccupied parked vehicles on the opposite side of the road.

Sounds like that guy was literally crossing the Victoria/Oak Bay border at Foul Bay Rd. when he lost control.

If drunks could be so kind as to keep their mayhem outside Oak Bay's borders they wouldn't need expensive equipment.

Edited by Holden West, 02 October 2014 - 12:24 PM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#393 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like that guy was literally crossing the Victoria/Oak Bay border at Foul Bay Rd. when he lost control.

Maybe his vehicle wheels got caught up in the tweed curtain?

• sebberry likes this

#394 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

I'm fairly certain he lost control upon colliding with a Tinto Rock.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#395 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

Chrysler New Yorker, wow, I haven't seen one of those around for years. But then I don't go to Oak Bay that often.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#396 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:21 AM

There is a structure fire at Vancouver / Fort anyone know whats going on and what is on fire?

#397 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:45 AM

There is a structure fire at Vancouver / Fort anyone know whats going on and what is on fire?

CFAX says they see smoke, but fire department can find no fire.  This might disprove an long-standing idiom.  

#398 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:54 AM

Thats where i heard it   CFAX " breaking news there is a structure fire at Fort/ Vancouver."

Maybe its all smoke and mirrors

#399 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:57 AM

What if there was a blaze at a mirror store?  Firefighters describe the scene as "all smoke, fire and mirrors".

#400 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

Looks to have been a fairly significant electrical fire brewing behind one of the walls....

http://www.timescolo...blaze-1.1425263

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users