Photo

Smoken Bones Cookshack | Victoria | The Hudson Building on Douglas (Closed in 2014)

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 snaptee

snaptee
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

The sandwiches are the way to go. I've had them all and the pulled pork is best I think. The chicken one isn't half bad if you're not into the other white meat. The macaroni and chesse isn't so great and neither is the cornbread as others have said. Fries are good and they load them on.

#22 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:56 AM

I did have a problem there recently where I ordered a pulled pork for take away, and when I finally got to the sandwich at home it was beef brisket. Still very tasty, but they have the pulled pork down pat. Lots of meat on the sandwich and the sauce is so good. It's better than the Pig BBQ Joint, but a bit more expensive for a bigger sandwich.

#23 cluseau

cluseau
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

I'm gonna disagree that the pork ribs are incredible. Mine seemed over-brined (if that's possible) and missing complexity in the flavour of the sauce.

I never would order beef short ribs, but had theirs on the sample platter, and they were VERY good- I would in fact order them over the pork ribs if I go back. I just need a reason to go back to Langford...

Now the pulled pork IS amazing.

#24 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:33 PM

I was taken there last week, and due to time constraints we had to get takeout. Having a bite of the pulled pork sandwich made me feel it was totally worth it to be late. Plus, there are good surprises in store for those who like salmon.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#25 teddygram

teddygram
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

Went for lunch the other day, disgusting! Corn fritters were so dry and flavorless, and the sauce in my pulled pork sandwich tasted like it came off the shelf from Superstore. My Dad's salmon was tasteless too, thank god there was some black pepper on the table!
This place and wok box... not sure which I dislike more.

#26 masiyou

masiyou
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

I hear they're opening a restaurant in the Hudson. Is their Langford business still good?

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

I hear they're opening a restaurant in the Hudson...

An actual tenant in the Hudson? This seems pretty far-fetched to me. ;)

#28 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

i heard that as well, from a pretty good source.
they will have both locations.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Great.

Funny thing is I was just musing with Dylan about the inevitability of competition taking on Pigs reign in downtown.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

By all the reviews I've read and the word of mouth around Langford that I've heard, these people do not have a good reputation for their food or customer service. I've been there once and that was enough for me. It's nowhere near as good as the Pig and nothing like southern BBQ. If they open another location at the Hudson it'll only be a matter of time before the business will crash and burn and both locations will disappear. The rent alone at the Hudson should be enough to doom them. I, for one, will not miss them.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

Something must have happened over the last year to garner such negative reviews. I recall the food being nothing short of spectacular when I dined there on two separate occasions about two years ago.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

I went there once, last year. I ordered their sampler dinner for two. What little bit of food it contained was truely unremarkable. They slathered BBQ sauce over everything so you couldn't tell the difference in taste between the beef ribs, pulled pork etc. If it had been half the price I would still have been disappointed in the value, let alone the taste.
Have no intention of returning.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#33 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

Mrs Sparky and I went there once.

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

With a name like "cookshack" I get a mental image of Cletus cooking up roadkill in the garden shed.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#35 GuyConcordia

GuyConcordia
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:12 AM

I have no doubt. I never eat at home. It was the only meal I had that day besides a booster juice in the AM.

I got the worst food poisoning of my life after a day of eating only food prepared at home and Booster Juice. I think it might actually have been the Booster Juice.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

Ken Hueston of Smoken Bones has contacted VV to confirm that the new location will open in December!

Ken also updated us VIHA's visit relating to a food poisoning complaint mentioned on the forum. VIHA declared that the restaurant was not conducting its operations in a way that could have led to a food handling error leading to food poisoning.

Know it all.

#37 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

Well, it sure could've been the booster juice. Could've been a virus too. My gut told me it was the restaurant. There's just no way of knowing for sure.

Given viha's inspection, i'm inclined to give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt. If the mods want to remove the accusations I made, that's fine with me. I'd hate for a restaurant to be judged on its perhaps-sketchy foodsafety practices than on its definitely mediocre food. :P

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

I peered into the new Hudson location and the interior appears quite far from being finished. The website states that the new opening is now on January 12 (originally pegged for December), but they'll be hard-pressed to get everything in order by then. Or perhaps it just seems that way?

Anyhow, the Langford location is CLOSED and has been replaced with a Floyd's Diner.

Know it all.

#39 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

I checked earlier this week and it didn't look like any work was being done on the new location. perhaps it is just because it is a slow week but it seems to me odd that they closed the Langford location before the new one was ready.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

It may just be an issue of the lease expiring with another tenant lined up to immediately take possession (Floyd's) and delays at the new location. I would personally rather close one restaurant than split my resources between the locations if my intention was to close the original, but it looks like that's how it worked out for these folks after all.

I wonder if Smoken Bones has a large following outside of the western communities?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users