Photo

Smoken Bones Cookshack | Victoria | The Hudson Building on Douglas (Closed in 2014)

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

I wonder if Smoken Bones has a large following outside of the western communities?

It has a very Langford-esque name, doesn't it?

I can see people driving into Victoria from Westcomm for a good restaurant meal, but not the other way around.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:44 PM

It does, and with the original restaurant having closed Smoken Bones might even have to reinvent itself "in the city."

But there we have it, not all businesses that shuffle between municipalities are leaving downtown for the western communities! In fact a Langford icon has opted to uproot itself from the west comms altogether and go upscale downtown.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

I am not sure how you think they would build the new one while they kept the old one open, because they needed to move all their equipment and furnishings.

I understand the kitchen equipment and tables and chairs have all been moved now, so it's probably just finishing and installation.

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:22 AM

This thread mentioned originally that both locations were being kept which is why I made my comment. I find it unusual that a new restaurant would use furniture and fixtures from an old location but perhaps the layout is the same and everything is still in good condition.

I would have thought that the location in Langford had far less competition then downtown.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:34 AM

That's right, when news broke of the downtown location there was no word that the Langford location would be closing. I think this caught a lot of people by surprise.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:31 AM

Oh, I missed that part. I don't think it's strange at all that he would choose to keep his kitchen equipment, that stuff can be expensive!

Matt.

#47 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

It has a very Langford-esque name, doesn't it?

Yes, perhaps it should have chosen a more civilised and dignified Victoria name like say......Pig?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

LJ's Langford is showing ;)

Come on now, Smoken' Bones Cookshack smells of the Ozarks like nothing, and now Victorian's will have that treasure of a name to call their own :)

Know it all.

#49 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

And all those good ol boys are moving into the Hudson.

You're welcome!:D
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#50 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

^Can't be any worse than some of the other recent tenants of the Hudson.

Yes, perhaps it should have chosen a more civilised and dignified Victoria name like say......Pig?

LOL!
In chains by Keynes

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

This is open and looks amazing!!!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

TC article from a few days ago:
http://www.timescolo...0459/story.html

#53 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

The industrial look with the exposed concrete is interesting. I hope it's a success. It's great to finally see life in the ground floor for the first time in what--almost a decade?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#54 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Got some poutine for takeout from here earlier this week. A deceptively filling portion in a larger-than-adequate box, it was quite decent. My only quip is that they used potato wedges instead of fries. Hope they work out the kinks in the computer system too, as it took about 10 minutes and a few tries to pay through debit.

#55 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

Big fan of the good old Pulled Pork Sandy and that was my first lunch from SB just this week, and their Pulled Pork Sandy ROCKED!! It was huge and it was messy, epic!! Personally, I like the thick cut fries!!

I think that location will do them well considering there are 4 office buildings within a half block of their front door. It is evil the way they vent out the side of the Hudson, I step out of my office door and all I can smell is great southern bbq cooking!!

Trying to lobby them to come out with a punch card so every 11th sandy might be free!! Help with the cause!!

Carl

Carl I. Jensen
Central Saanich Councillor

Twitter - @carloncouncil
E - carl.jensen@csaanich.ca
T - 250.858.6532
Facebook - http://facebook.com/carlforcouncil

#56 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

Got exotic today at SB and sampled the special, the Badass Braised Shortrib with Brie and Onion Strings sandwich. It was EPIC!!! And here I thought their pulled pork was as good as things can get, well, there's a new sandwich on the block that is awesome!! Give it a shot if you get a chance!

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#57 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

I think that location will do them well considering there are 4 office buildings within a half block of their front door.

Not if they take over an hour to get your lunch, which is what happened to us on Thursday. You should be able to turn your tables over 1.5x to twice per hour between 12-2. No one could understand how slapping already cooked meat onto a bun took so long - and the place wasn't even all that full.

As for the food itself, everyone agreed that the food was kind if mediocre. Someone had chicken wings, which were soggy and tiny. I had the beef brisket sandwich and I was shocked with how tough the meat was. Hhonestly, Pig has absolutely nothing to worry about.

#58 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Our book club (now just a dinner club) went last night, and every single one of us was 'meh' about our meals. Our appetizers were oddly assembled and hard to eat in their tiny containers (on plates! not in baskets!). One of us ordered the friend pickles, expecting crispy but instead got soggy. Ick. Our mains were meh, although the one person that ordered the ribs complained they were not good, sinewy and some inedible parts. My chicken/bacon stack sandwich was dry and hard to choke back until I asked for some bbq sauce and swamp sauce to apply to it. The best part? Dessert. Not exactly what a Cook Shack should be excelling at, the dessert.

Won't be back anytime soon unless my gluten-sensitive friends insist. There are simply better options available to us in town.

Wondering how they are doing in general... I suppose time will tell, once everyone has had their 'one try' and whether there are repeat customers. Not me, obviously.

#59 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Not if they take over an hour to get your lunch, which is what happened to us on Thursday. You should be able to turn your tables over 1.5x to twice per hour between 12-2. No one could understand how slapping already cooked meat onto a bun took so long - and the place wasn't even all that full.

As for the food itself, everyone agreed that the food was kind if mediocre. Someone had chicken wings, which were soggy and tiny. I had the beef brisket sandwich and I was shocked with how tough the meat was. Hhonestly, Pig has absolutely nothing to worry about.

@ Bob - You are correct in that the timing will be critical during that lunch rush when people are dealing with an hour, or even less time for lunch. For the group of us yesterday we were there for just under an hour.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

I went today for the first time ever. Never went to the old location.

I can only give it a 3.14159265 out of 5.

I arrived at about 2:06pm. I think signage on the exterior is lacking, and it sure is lacking on the main entry doors. As soon as you enter you are in some kind of huge void, but it's not hard to know where to go to get in. Still, it seems funny. I like how you walk into Moxies or the old Earl's, right away you are face-to-face with what is usually an attractive young lady (girl in the case of the new Earl's*).

I was seen right away at the hostess station, and seated right away. My waitress was as good as she needed to be. I thought the menu was alright, no complaints. Actually one complaint. I think it's unclear on the menu that a side comes with the mains, because on the sides list, they say $5.00, and up at the top of the mains, they say "additional sides $2.50". So, sides are FREE with a entree, and $2.50 if you have an additional side with your entree, and $5.00 if you have one with no entree.

Here's the menu, if you want to see what I mean.

Anyway, I ordered a Smoke Shack Stack for $11, with fries. Ya, the fries were wedges, but I thought they were quite good, but I could have maybe used a bit more. The sandwich was OK, no complaints really.

Oh, the food arrived pretty promptly, but there was only two other tables of people, and two guys at the bar.

OK, so here are my complaints.

I think the server girls looked sloppy. They were OK looking, but they both wore jeans, and honestly, I don't know why any restaurant, smokeshack or not, has that in their suitable dress-code. One of the two had a cell-phone in her back pocket. Lame. Maybe a small coffee shop that'd be ok. But seriously, it just says to me they don't really care what their staff wears, and the staff wears what's easy and comfortable too.

I think the place looks a little unfinished. I know, it's supposed to look industrial or whatever, but so is Brown's and this place doesn't look as cool as Browns. The wide, open hallway to the kitchen should be enclosed by doors, it looks odd. The installed wood beams look dumb to me, and they aren't structural, they are faux-structural.

Tims-Colonist, November 26th:

Delays in obtaining building permits will push back the opening of Smoken Bones Cookshack in the Hudson Building until at least late December, says the restaurant owner.

Ken Hueston, who had anticipating opening by Dec. 1, now expects to open his doors after Christmas, possibly early in the new year. "That's what I'm praying for - right now it's like a drawing that hasn't been coloured," he said.

Times-Colonist, January 23rd:

The vaulted ceiling is open, revealing vents and wiring. And there are notable highlights, like modern lighting fixtures and thick Douglas fir beams that replicate the burners and grills of a barbecue.

They replicate burners and grills? What? I never saw that connection.

The 24-foot-long bar — where local Philips beer is poured and hand-shaken margaritas are served in canning jars — was cut and milled from a single tree on the Hueston's family property in Metchosin. Father Tom and bar manager Jaye Lee cut the wood, fit and finished it together.

Now I feel a bit badly for them, because I think the bar doesn't work. It's too big, and too high. Not inviting.

And I have issues with how some of their various supplies are being stored. They have an entire area of ketchup bottles, and I think candles, both in places staring right out at the main room. Also some extra trays, and while I was there, a case of empty beer bottles and a 5-gallon bucket of something also stored right amidst the customer area. That crap should be hidden.

And my final issue is the drink prices. I don't drink, but I know prices. Nothing stood out as a good deal on the whole drink menu. Indeed, their special mixed drinks (cocktails and margaritas) were $8 (before tax), and didn't indicate that they were doubles, but maybe they were. If they were, they should indicate that.

Beers by the bottle are $5.25 and $6.25 imported. Now, there may have been some specials, but I didn't see any, and none were described to me. So nothing about the drinks wowed me.

Oh, and there was something funny I thought about the tables. They were all covered with a foam-backed pvc cover that appeared to be stretched loosely over each table and stapled on underneath. It kept me wondering what the finish on the tables was that they needed or wanted to cover them.

Oh, and I'm not sure if there was any music playing. I didn't think about that much until I walked by Cactus after, and the music was happening, and so was the place.

That's all. Again, there's nothing there to make me choose it over Cactus, Browns or the Stickey Wicket.

* Earl's, from Rate My Employer:

The best part of working here was the co-workers. The people I worked with are now some of my closest friends, it's a very fun place to work. As for the dress code of employees, I think every Earls girl understands that if your willing to put up with the drooling men, you will make awesome money...

if you like having horny old men hit on you all night, cause of the clothes they make you wear?....awful place no value of employees just managers using T & A to get men into the place, some of the kids are 16-17 and made to look like sluts!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users