Photo

Interactivity Board Game Cafe | Victoria | 700-block Yates St.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Hmm, ok I guess they don't serve beer. I thought they did :(

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

Facebook post says they're taking over the meat and bread space, and will try and get a liquor licence for it.  Expansion, they're staying in the old spot too.

• Mike K., aastra, Nparker and 4 others like this

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

Very cool. Thanks for the heads-up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

Must be doing all right if they are expanding and going for a liquor license also.

#45 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

It's been the go-to board game shop in town for a long time (used to be next to the Papery).  Excellent idea to charge $5 to play any game as long as you want in a cafe setting, and Nanaimo has one similar now as well.  I wish I could take part but my entire clique has entered the reproduction stage.  I go to IBG Cafe to see what games look fun but easy enough for kids and then either get them there or keep my eye on Used Vic, Varagesale or Craigslist for them.  Have gotten a ton of games this way.  5 year old has mastered Carcassonne and I cannot seem to be able to beat her anymore.  I don't let my kids win games, so when they win (and they do fairly often) it's pretty cool for everyone.

• zoomer, Bernard and Ismo07 like this

#46 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

Awesome! Was walking down that block a couple of weeks ago with the lady and mentioned how they would be smart to takeover the Meat & Bread space. Even after 4 years, they are just as packed now as they were when it first opened. And they'll only get busier with more and more people moving downtown. Good on 'em...a real local business success story  :thumbsup:

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#47 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

I don't let my kids win games, so when they win (and they do fairly often) it's pretty cool for everyone.

Eventually you'll never be able to win at anything even if you cheat and your typical family game night will conclude with you sweeping the game off the table in a raging fit.

• nagel likes this

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

But in the end it's the togetherness that matters, so it's all good.

#49 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

It's been the go-to board game shop in town for a long time (used to be next to the Papery).  Excellent idea to charge $5 to play any game as long as you want in a cafe setting, and Nanaimo has one similar now as well.  I wish I could take part but my entire clique has entered the reproduction stage.  I go to IBG Cafe to see what games look fun but easy enough for kids and then either get them there or keep my eye on Used Vic, Varagesale or Craigslist for them.  Have gotten a ton of games this way.  5 year old has mastered Carcassonne and I cannot seem to be able to beat her anymore.  I don't let my kids win games, so when they win (and they do fairly often) it's pretty cool for everyone.

List some of those games please... :).

#50 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

There are so many. Too many. Sushi Go isn't a bad place to start. 10 Days in Africa (the original). King of Tokyo.

• Bernard and lanforod like this

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

FYI, the store's suggestions were always good for us. I honestly don't know if they ever steered us wrong.

• VicHockeyFan and thundergun like this

#52 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

The same folks as Interactive Games -really?  That place was closed for quite some time before the café opened up, that was my jigsaw puzzle hotspot.

#53 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Qwirkle, sushi go, sushi go party, ticket to ride, forbidden island, splendor, monopoly deal. Catan is ok for older kids. Haven't tried Bananagrams or Dixit yet but I've found them used too.
  • lanforod likes this

#54 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Also found Power Grid for $30 but that's for when they are older.
  • lanforod likes this

#55 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Oh and for 2 player games Jaipur, patchwork and Morels. 7 wonders duel looks good but for older kids for sure.
  • lanforod likes this

#56 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

The same folks as Interactive Games -really? That place was closed for quite some time before the café opened up, that was my jigsaw puzzle hotspot.

Yup same older short guy runs it. I used to get puzzles there too. Got a 5K one took me 2 months on a full sheet of plywood to finish it. Now I can only do 300 pieces max. Gotta clean it up each day or the little guy will decimate it and lose pieces. No way to roll up one bigger than 2K I tried.

Always wanted to try a monster one but now I'll have to wait until I'm an old man.
  • Mike K. likes this

#57 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

FB post says they are applying for a liquor license for their new space only.

Matt.

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

...I'll have to wait until I'm an old man.

It's actually a popular misconception that this is a prerequisite for VV membership. You hear it all the time at the front desk.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#59 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

We just tried Dixit it was hilarious. Easy to learn for my 5 year old too.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

FB post says they are applying for a liquor license for their new space only.

Matt.

It's unclear to me if they got it, but it was before council last month or so.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users