Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

Tea Party sunrise.

• johnk likes this

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Is it just me or was this event not advertised as much as in previous years?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

I didnt near about it till this photo so maybe commoners are not invited this year.

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Nice photo, Bingo!

Mike: I don't know. I didn't realize it was this weekend until the carnie trucks drove by on Thursday.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

It was hardly advertised, my son works at the tea party every year and even he thought it was next weekend until I reminded him to get in touch with them last Wednesday.

Even the Friday opening wasn't advertised. My son said there were no crowds or lineups for the rides.

Oak Bay could have done a better job advertising it.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

I heard on Friday night that for the first time it was opening on Friday night.

I always thought it was odd that it only ran for a couple of days. I think the Friday night opening was a good idea. Now if only people knew about it.

When I lived in England I could see the lights on the ferris wheel from my bedroom. I think that fair was a week long event.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

I am hereby plugging Buccaneers Day next weekend in Esquimalt. Mark it down, people! Clearly whoever is doing the marketing for the Tea Party is at the helm on this side of town as well ;)

Speaking of poor publicity, did anyone know that there was/still is a Bastion Square Grand Prix bicycle race? Seriously, how do these events get so little publicity in a day and age where information flows freely and getting the word out takes relatively little effort and money?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

The bike race was advertised on Cfax and Q they talked about the road closures and the mo parking signs went up on Friday letting people know about the event

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Seriously, how do these events get so little publicity in a day and age where information flows freely and getting the word out takes relatively little effort and money?

Information overload. We're constantly being bombarded by bits of information from all over the place and I think things just get missed in all the action.

I'm amazed at some of the things I didn't know were happening considering how much time I spend (waste?) online and watching the news most nights on TV.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

The bike race was advertised on Cfax and Q they talked about the road closures and the mo parking signs went up on Friday letting people know about the event

So only the 45-90 year old demographic was targeted. Brilliant :)

I mean seriously, all it takes for the organizers of these events is to reach out to several social media folk like ourselves and I Heart and half the town will at least be aware of the event. Few things slip through our fingers as it is (good work, sleuths!) but for something major like this to slip right on by you really have to wonder if the promoters shouldn't be out promoting a bit more.

Know it all.

#11 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

I am hereby plugging Buccaneers Day next weekend in Esquimalt. Mark it down, people! Clearly whoever is doing the marketing for the Tea Party is at the helm on this side of town as well ;)

Speaking of poor publicity, did anyone know that there was/still is a Bastion Square Grand Prix bicycle race? Seriously, how do these events get so little publicity in a day and age where information flows freely and getting the word out takes relatively little effort and money?

I think events in this town do radio and then assume the rest is your job ;)

#12 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

So only the 45-90 year old demographic was targeted. Brilliant :)

I mean seriously, all it takes for the organizers of these events is to reach out to several social media folk like ourselves and I Heart and half the town will at least be aware of the event. Few things slip through our fingers as it is (good works, sleuths!) but for something major like this to slip right on by you really have to wonder if the promoters shouldn't be out promoting a bit more.

I'm glad that I "friended" the VicPD on Facebook so that I was pre-warned about some of the road closures today. (still don't know why Quadra is closed, though)
Pieta VanDyke

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'm glad that I "friended" the VicPD on Facebook so that I was pre-warned about some of the road closures today. (still don't know why Quadra is closed, though)

This was due to the parade that the Jewish community was putting on today to acknowledge the 150th anniversary of Emmanu-El, the oldest synagogue in Canada. Mrs ASE and I got caught up in the roadblocks just VicPD were breaking them down post the parade but d/t traffic was definitely impacted.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Indeed, light advertising. I heard about it on CFAX.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

The Oak Bay Tea Party is on Today and Tomorrow

So if you are looking for a good place to park that isn't signed "no parking", I found success on Lulie Street which is further to walk but the bonus is the great lemonade at the many stands.

However the price goes up the closer you get to Willows Park.

IMG_7900.jpg

on the beach there are ways to enjoy the warm day...

IMG_7897.jpg

or rent a kayak or paddleboard

IMG_7868.jpg

be entertained by the local musicians

IMG_7864.jpg

watch the baron of beef rotate to perfection

IMG_7870.jpg

get a piece of hot cob on the corn...yikes, that lemonade is getting to me 

IMG_7872.jpg

then over at the midway I think I'll try this...

IMG_7891.jpg

I'm not doing that again...I feel a bit out of sorts, let's take a picture of that big drone that just crashed

IMG_7886_1.jpg

what's that windmill doing here?

IMG_7878.jpg

meanwhile back at the spit

IMG_7871.jpg

IMG_7893.jpg

unless you have a lock

IMG_7894.jpg

And don't forget to cheer on your local politicians in the big teacup race on Sunday

IMG_7892.jpg

• sebberry, Gary H and todd like this

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

Must have been a scorcher there today. Thanks for the pix Bingo.  :)

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

Here is what's happening tomorrow if you are not going today.

Hurry, Hurry, Hurry hard...for some hot Baron of Beef.

http://www.oakbaytea...m/entertainment

SUNDAY, JUNE 7, 2015:

ON THE STAGE, ON THE WATER & IN THE AIR:

12:00 noon     The Rig-a-Jig Band

1:00 p.m.         Bathtub Race and Coast Guard Helicopter static display

2:00 p.m.         Air Show with Skydivers

3:00 p.m.         Mayor's Challenge Floating Teacup Race

3:45 p.m.        "Jazzercise"

4:00 p.m.         Ladies’ Nail Driving Competition

4:30 p.m.         COMMODORES Big Band

5:15 p.m.         Citizenship Affirmation Ceremony

6:00 p.m.         Oak Bay Tea Party RAFFLE DRAW

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:30 PM

It appears that if you went to the Tea Party looking for the baron of beef or the corn on the cob.......

Among the hundreds of people who flocked to Willows Beach to bask in Sunday’s summer temperatures, one man needed a reminder that the Oak Bay beach is not, in fact, a nude beach. A woman walking her dog around 6 p.m. spotted the over-exposed sunbather who thought he picked a private spot behind a pile of rocks near Cattle Point, said Oak Bay police spokesman Const. Rick Anthony.

http://www.timescolo...-ride-1.1961561

#19 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:27 PM

They really need to bring back the fireworks, the last Oak Bay Tea Party fireworks show was funded generously in 2012 by the Oak Bay Beach Hotel. Hopefully somebody will sponsor it next year(if nobody else maybe the municipality Of Oak Bay).

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:54 AM

They really need to bring back the fireworks, the last Oak Bay Tea Party fireworks show was funded generously in 2012 by the Oak Bay Beach Hotel. Hopefully somebody will sponsor it next year(if nobody else maybe the municipality Of Oak Bay).

The best fireworks display was when they accidently set Jimmy Chicken Island by the Oak Bay Marina on fire.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users