Photo

Canadian Safeway's sold to Sobeys

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Looks like Safeway in Canada was just bought by Soebeys. Are they buying up everything?

http://finance.yahoo...-213453178.html

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hmmmm, subject to regulatory approval.

I wonder what percentage of Western Canada business they already have.

It won't be good for consumer prices here in Victoria, I'd think. But we are but a blip.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

There are two Safeways here?

#4 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

I count three plus the one in Sydney.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Tillicum Mall, University Heights, Fort/Foul Bay, Sidney...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hmmmm, subject to regulatory approval.

I wonder what percentage of Western Canada business they already have.

It won't be good for consumer prices here in Victoria, I'd think. But we are but a blip.

Apparently, Safeway was considered a "prize" acquisition and the number one player, Loblaw, was also interested. Regulatory approval may have been difficult if they were the purchaser. As number two, the Sobeys acquisition of Safeway will probably be viewed in a positive competitive light.

More interesting is the speculation that the losing bidders will now be out to acquire Overwaitea (owners of Save-On Foods among others). It is also interesting that Target is mentioned as a competitor, given their poor store launch here. Even juicier is that Sobeys is the food supplier to Target. What an industry!

http://business.fina...or-5-8-billion/

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm really looking forward for everything owned by 1-2 companies, will make choices so much easier and companies won't have to waste resources on the whole "competition" thing and they'll passing the savings onto us!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

I'm really looking forward for everything owned by 1-2 companies, will make choices so much easier and companies won't have to waste resources on the whole "competition" thing and they'll passing the savings onto us!

Exactly, me too. For example, the cell-phone companies spend so much on advertising, naming sports arenas/stadiums etc., imagine how low our bills will be when it's all Telus.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

For those not up to speed, esp. after the Marina/Songhees posts.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Thrifty Foods, Safeways, Target

Compliments?

So be...it

:muching_out::banana::muching_out::banana:

#11 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

For those not up to speed, esp. after the Marina/Songhees posts.

Love it!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#12 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Well at least we have QF moving into the market for "competition".

Hasn't Sobey's done enough damage after their purchase of Thrifty's?

#13 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Well at least we have QF moving into the market for "competition".

Hasn't Sobey's done enough damage after their purchase of Thrifty's?

How can they do damage to Safeway? It isn't like Safeway is what Thrifty's was...
"I know nothing"

#14 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Quality Foods is owned by Overwaitea I think.

Red Barn is starting to lose its shine and is more of a novelty than an alternative. A year ago groceries at our local chain were priced well below the big provincial or national players. Maybe prices caught up to Red Barn or the owners just decided that they have no real incentive not to raise prices now that the brand has a following.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Thrifty's has really gone down hill since the purchase. The meat has suffered the most.

#16 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

How can they do damage to Safeway? It isn't like Safeway is what Thrifty's was...

So are you trying to say they will make Safeway better. The point of my comment had nothing to do with how good Safeway is or was but what they did to Thrifty's to make it worse then Safeway (ie- enough damage)

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Quality Foods is owned by Overwaitea I think.

I even used italics, an underline and the little quotey things to show sarcasm to the word competition and it still didn't work! {sigh}

#18 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

So are you trying to say they will make Safeway better. The point of my comment had nothing to do with how good Safeway is or was but what they did to Thrifty's to make it worse then Safeway (ie- enough damage)

My comment was not that they'll make Safeway better, but that Thrifty's was better than safeway before sobeys bought it and has gone downhill
"I know nothing"

#19 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

this will push more people to shop at Oxford foods for competitive prices.

#20 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

Nothing could ever make me go to Oxford Foods! NO sarcasm!!!!!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users