The Province of Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

Vancouver Island Party lays out its declaration of independence from BC - Victoria News

What the province of Vancouver Island would want from Canada as the terms for it joining confederation is spelled out in the party’s statement of guiding principles:

• A bridge connecting the Island to the mainland

• 12 MPs and 10 senators

• free or reduced-rate ferries

• payment of the Island’s share of the B.C. debt

• seawall and dike infrastructure to protect against climate change

• a commitment to maintaining the existing military bases

• New light-rail systems for greater Victoria, the Nanaimo area, and the Comox Valley, plus reinvestment in the E&N, including an up-Island extension

• A highway connecting the Alberni/Bamfield area to the south Island via Cowichan Lake

• A Port Alberni shipping hub

You know what, if this was spearheaded by a leftie rather than a conservative, this might even have legs.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

The positions of the party are off the wall.   Making a new province is not that bad idea.   I would argue there is a good case to split BC into four provinces, but this guy wants Canada to offer a deal to Vancouver Island that is politically from the moon.

10 senators?    No chance, 6 would be it

12 MPs?  The current formula would give the Island 7, maybe 8 if it was stretched

Feds take over our portion of the provincial debt?    Why would they offer to do that?

Fixed link?   The cost of that would be off the wall expensive, no fed govt would pay for it

Free or cheap ferries?   Why would the feds pay for this?

And then a new highway, a new shipping terminal in Port Alberni, which makes no economic sense, multiple light rail systems, and an upgrade and expansion of the E&N

He is asking from something like $150,000,000,000 from the feds.   I assume the new highway, Port Alberni shipping terminal etc would all be paid from by the Vancouver Island government.   Another $4 to $8 billion?

I have had some communications with the guy so I believe he is serious, but his approach makes it look like some sort of prank and not a serious idea

• John M. likes this

#43 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

The moment I saw "bridge to the mainland" I knew the people invovled in this had no idea what they were talking about.  Might as well ask for a space elevator to make port alberni an asteroid mining hub.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:46 PM

The moment I saw "bridge to the mainland" I knew the people invovled in this had no idea what they were talking about.  Might as well ask for a space elevator to make port alberni an asteroid mining hub.

Ya, the majority of voters here do not want a bridge.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:54 PM

If the ferries ran between two provinces we'd be eligible for federal subsidies.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

^ but is ease of leaving the province to spend money in the adjacent province a good reason to go out on our own?

This guy's logic seems faulty.

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:16 PM

This would kill Victoria.
  • jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

This would kill Victoria.

Yes, we sometimes do not realize how many provincial government employees we have here.

#49 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

Yes, we sometimes do not realize how many provincial government employees we have here.

Victoria would still be a capital and have a civil service on the order of Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.   It will likely be smaller but not dramatically so.   Given the housing problems in Victoria, the loss of 20-30% of the civil servants would drive house prices down

• tedward likes this

#50 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:12 PM

The positions of the party are off the wall.   Making a new province is not that bad idea.   I would argue there is a good case to split BC into four provinces, but this guy wants Canada to offer a deal to Vancouver Island that is politically from the moon.

10 senators?    No chance, 6 would be it

12 MPs?  The current formula would give the Island 7, maybe 8 if it was stretched

Feds take over our portion of the provincial debt?    Why would they offer to do that?

Fixed link?   The cost of that would be off the wall expensive, no fed govt would pay for it

Free or cheap ferries?   Why would the feds pay for this?

And then a new highway, a new shipping terminal in Port Alberni, which makes no economic sense, multiple light rail systems, and an upgrade and expansion of the E&N

He is asking from something like $150,000,000,000 from the feds.   I assume the new highway, Port Alberni shipping terminal etc would all be paid from by the Vancouver Island government.   Another $4 to $8 billion?

I have had some communications with the guy so I believe he is serious, but his approach makes it look like some sort of prank and not a serious idea

It's all about negotiation. You don't start out asking for nothing, you ask for the moon and settle for some star dust.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#51 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

We should offer to become a state if the Americans will build a fixed link.

#52 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:55 PM

We should offer to become a state if the Americans will build a fixed link.

It'd be easier to build a link to the US, I think. Much shorter.

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:55 PM

And the guns, think of the guns.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#54 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:26 PM

My recollection here is vague and may be faulty because its been years since I read an engineering report on the subject, but I thought - whatever VI residents think or want completely aside - more recent engineering studies concluded building a fixed link would be virtually technically impossible due to the open water currents, the depth of the Georgia Str - er, "Salish Sea" - the composition of the sea floor, not to mention the need to build any structure to be able to withstand the Big One etc......

#55 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:40 PM

My recollection here is vague and may be faulty because its been years since I read an engineering report on the subject, but I thought - whatever VI residents think or want completely aside - more recent engineering studies concluded building a fixed link would be virtually technically impossible due to the open water currents, the depth of the Georgia Str - er, "Salish Sea" - the composition of the sea floor, not to mention the need to build any structure to be able to withstand the Big One etc......

you are talking the most expensive bridge ever, but those studies said was ;possible

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

Jack Knox has his take on the new party in todays TC

While listening to Victoria’s Robin Richardson talk about his new political party, a thought springs to mind: How many separatist movements does Vancouver Island need?

There was the shadowy Sovereign State of Vancouver Island faction that emerged, briefly, in 2013 to demand that we get a divorce from the rest of Canada.

That was also the year the unrelated Vancouver Island Province group popped up with a petition calling for our Pacific paradise to become Canada’s 11th province.

Now we have a third organization, the Vancouver Island Party, officially unveiled today. It also seeks provincehood.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.5wXZSALf.dpuf

#57 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

Are there any other areas of Canada with similar politics (other than Quebec, of course?)

#58 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

I'm sure lots have them,  all similar non-entities that only get local press over how ridiculous they are.

• jonny likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#59 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

OK, the guy is on the air at CFAX and sounds less sane than what is on the website

• jonny likes this

#60 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:40 AM

you are talking the most expensive bridge ever, but those studies said was ;possible

Here's the 'latest' on the MoT website:

http://www2.gov.bc.c...land/fixed-link

What I take away from all of that is that while it might be technically possible, it's pushing the bounds of engineering (do we really want to spend billions on an unproven design? JSB, anyone?) and the costs might make taking the ferry appear very reasonable indeed...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users