The National Post

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

^No, it's probably newsworthy, as it could escalate further and an editor doesn't want to be caught flat-footed. You put yourself in the mind of the reader who wants to know what all the fuss is about without getting their hands dirty. Like I said, if anyone feels they must know the exact wording they can easily explore the sleazier areas of the Internet.

Is that how you want to treat your readers?  Dance around the actual subject matter of your story, and feel comfortable with them having to go do Google searches to find the meat of the story?  No, you ought to show them the subject matter, inside your article.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

The interesting aspect is who actually wrote it and whether it was an "official" TSN tweet. That's more a story on media communications and accountability than hockey.

I think it's been determined it was simply a viewer-submitted tweet, and somehow or other TSN failed to screen it, and then ended up, well, "screening" it, putting it on the TV screen.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

The Times Colonist, CNN, CBC, Vibrant Victoria, Jack Knox or whatever...we all go to our favourite news source if we have an appetite for what they are saying.

We are all different as to what we need to hear about, but if your favourite source becomes off kilter then you tune out. 

You have to give the viewers a reason to keep coming back, otherwise next season will be cancelled.  :badpc:

#44 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

I think it's been determined it was simply a viewer-submitted tweet, and somehow or other TSN failed to screen it, and then ended up, well, "screening" it, putting it on the TV screen.

The question in court might then be what level of responsibility has TSN for the tweet's appearance. Repeating a libellous quote is also considered libellous (which I believe is why the bona fide news outlets didn't specify the tweet's content).

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

The question in court might then be what level of responsibility has TSN for the tweet's appearance. Repeating a libellous quote is also considered libellous (which I believe is why the bona fide news outlets didn't specify the tweet's content).

“I want the leafs to keep lupul solely based upon the fact that he banged phaneuf's wife" is simply not libelous.

#46 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:36 AM

“I want the leafs to keep lupul solely based upon the fact that he banged phaneuf's wife" is simply not libelous.

It IS libelous if the statement is false, and not fact as the tweeter claims. You may claim that Cuthbert can't get more of a damaged reputation, but it could damage her marriage, and it certainly could damage Phaneuf and Lupul's reputations as well.

#47 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

^And if it's true, it could be considered "public disclosure of private fact".

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:28 AM

^And if it's true, it could be considered "public disclosure of private fact".

What does that mean, exactly?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

Shania must have picked up on that tweet:

I just really want to go out with a bang.

http://news.national...-farewell-tour/

#50 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

What does that mean, exactly?

Invasion of privacy, in a way. Here's a page about it from the Reporters Committee for a Free Press:

http://www.rcfp.org/...-and-embarrassi

Yes it's American, so here's one about an Ontario privacy case for comparison:

http://www.davis.ca/...h.N9D03RWp.dpuf

Edited by Benezet, 04 March 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

Sharks of BC...

Blue sharks and great white sharks have always ranged up into Alaskan waters. No climate change required.

• lanforod likes this

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

Invasion of privacy, in a way. Here's a page about it from the Reporters Committee for a Free Press:

http://www.rcfp.org/...-and-embarrassi

Yes it's American, so here's one about an Ontario privacy case for comparison:

http://www.davis.ca/...h.N9D03RWp.dpuf

I wonder often that's invoked.  I could see it being used when I report that Joe Namath has cancer.  But I can also see lawyers arguing that that is indeed very newsworthy, and point to the popularity of TMZ and magazines like US or People.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

Wasinger, 46, a computer programmer, and Reinholdt, 54, a nurse, hired a captain from Belize through a sailing website. They set sail from the Central American nation on March 27, en route to the Honduran island of Roatan

Loretta Reinholdt, 54, and Andy Wasinger, 46, of Calgary, are happy to be alive after they were held up on March 28, 2015, by pirates armed with guns and knives while on a sailing trip in Honduras, and stranded for four days in a jungle with nothing but peanut butter and cheese to eat and rain water to drink. This is with Ciro Vladimir Navarro Uma — who came with the boat that rescued them. “We were lucky they were our rescuers,” Reinholdt said. “We are so happy to be alive.”

Soon, police officers, the coast guard and fire department, even representatives from the mayor’s office greeted them and transported them to Tela, where they met the mayor and Honduras President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who happened to be in town, the couple said.

The president arranged for the couple to ride the presidential helicopter to the nearest airport to Mexico, and even covered the cost of their flight, they added.

Loretta Reinholdt, 54, and Andy Wasinger, 46, of Calgary, are happy to be alive after they were held up on March 28, 2015, by pirates armed with guns and knives while on a sailing trip in Honduras, and stranded for four days in a jungle with nothing but peanut butter and cheese to eat and rain water to drink.

This is aboard the president’s helicopter after their rescue. “We were treated like gold,” Wasinger said.

According to a spokesman with Foreign Affairs, Canadian consular officials are aware of the attack on the couple in Honduras.

“Canadian consular officials at the Embassy in Tegucigalpa are in touch with local authorities to gather additional information. Canadian consular officials stand ready to provide assistance,” said Nicolas Doire in an e-mailed statement.

http://news.national...honduras-739250

What a botch job.

• Jill likes this

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

How about this...  :)

Dion was just 12 when she met Angelil, 73, who soon became her manager and then husband in 1994. She says he was “the only boyfriend I’ve ever had,” and “the leader of the band all my life.”

http://news.national...-die-in-my-arms

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

http://news.national...-harper-mp-says

Liberals and NDP wasting resources by fighting each other instead of Harper, MP says

John Ivison: 'The only way Stephen Harper sleeps at night is the knowledge that we will beat the **** < < (but this word was not edited online - VHF) out of each other,' says NDP MP Pat Martin

Now I don't care, I think generally non-offensive words like F and Sh are sort of comical, compared to using works like the n-word for blacks.

But I'm almost sure this is the first time I have read this word in full on a large, mainstream news media website or in print.

#56 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

http://news.national...-harper-mp-says

But I'm almost sure this is the first time I have read this word in full on a large, mainstream news media website or in print.

F and Sh have been used a few dozen times over the years by all mainstream papers including the Globe and National Post. Earliest citation I could find for s*** is 1977 in the globe for example. National Post has said s*** 20 times.

Papers don't like doing it unless it is crucial to the quote (Premier Bourassa to Premier Wells: "If that's the way you feel, f*** you") or in the body of an artistic work like a book title.

#57 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:32 PM

Gee, whatever happened to "fuddle duddle"?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:42 PM

Here is some stuff on sh

https://stronglang.w...the-newspapers/

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

Yesterday, the NP ran a Mark Steyn article, probably the first time in 3 or 4 years.

Today they have a piece penned by Peter McKay:

http://news.national...answer-the-call

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:22 AM

pms-1.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=620

Anybody else find that "NP photo illustration"" just odd?

‘Back to normal’: Former prime ministers reflect on return to anonymous civilian life

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users