Photo
- - - - -

Tudor House Pub | Esquimalt (destroyed in 2013)

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:12 AM

When the BC Liquor Store closed Tudor House opened a private store.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:07 AM

^Actually they were opened across the street from each other for a number of years.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:22 AM

Oh, yeah you're right!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:40 AM

...The design for the replacement of Esquimalt's Tudor House Pub and liquor store at the nexus of Admirals and Esquimalt roads has been revealed...plans [are] to use extensive glass and angular design to create what is arguably the most unique, albeit unorthodox, liquor store retail environment on Vancouver Island...

I suppose what I am trying to say is that the best in contemporary architecture is part of a broader vision for a site. In the case of the plan for the new Esquimalt liquor store, while bold unto itself (for our region at least), it would be exponentially better if it was part of an exciting redevelopment of the entire space. I envision that expanse of asphalt looking much like that for decades now. There are certainly innumerable examples of the historic preservation of sacred black top in the region to support my hypothesis.

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:54 AM

I'm sure the entire property won't be left in its current state forever.

Know it all.

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

I'm sure the entire property won't be left in its current state forever.

I give you the parking lots below Wharf Street: they must be close to celebrating their centennial of underachievement.

• Bernard likes this

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:11 PM

Government vs. private though.

Know it all.

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

Government vs. private though.

Agreed, but then again Robbins Parking still seems to control a lot of privately owned downtown land,

Capture2.JPG

so I guess I will believe the redevelopment of the liquor store parking plaza when I see it.

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:36 PM

Robbins has the parking rights all over downtown, for sure, but I don't think the Esquimalt lot is a metered lot.

I have faith that if the owners are will to push boundaries to build a liquor store they'll make the effort to do something great with the rest of the lot when they're ready.

Know it all.

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:55 PM

...I have faith that if the owners are willing to push boundaries to build a liquor store they'll make the effort to do something great with the rest of the lot when they're ready.

Oh ye of too much faith.  ;)

#71 briggzee1

briggzee1
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:05 AM

Having worked at the liquor store I can tell you that when it was just the Tudor House and the Government store on the other corner it was one of the busiest private stores in BC. It was a really nice store, good selection etc...but once they started to pop everywhere in the area and the owner's were unwilling to drop the prices to be competitive business died off and people went elsewhere. Fancy store, wine tasting's and pairings are all good but people want good selection and good prices or it won't succeed.  To hear that a liquor store is in the works is a surprise to me. I thought it would be a condo development for sure.   

#72 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

... To hear that a liquor store is in the works is a surprise to me. I thought it would be a condo development for sure.   

It should have been both. Perhaps it still will be.

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:13 AM

I have no doubt it will be. They got insurance money from the pub and had to put it to good use. Might as well design something spectacular in a neighbourhood that is undergoing a massive transformation.

• Hotel Mike likes this

Know it all.

#74 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

Oh ye of too much faith.  ;)

oh ye of too little faith ;)

Construction of a new liquor store in Esquimalt could start this spring if the township approves a building permit for the former Tudor House Pub site.

Featuring a design of glass walls and wood framing, the building is among recent initiatives signalling a development revival in the township.

“We are very, very pleased,” Bill Lang, president of the Esquimalt Chamber of Commerce, said Tuesday.

*snip*

“They haven’t closed any doors in terms of what they might do with the rest of the property,” Desjardins said. Other permitted uses on that side include a pub, hotel or residential units in a building of up to 12 storeys.

“This is really going to increase the activity on that corner and I think it will be transformational along with the village project to have those kinds of services,” Desjardins said.

“It’s going to create a new vibrancy on that corner.”

http://www.timescolo...-site-1.2224792

Edited by amor de cosmos, 06 April 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:30 AM

“They haven’t closed any doors in terms of what they might do with the rest of the property,” Desjardins said. Other permitted uses on that side include a pub, hotel or residential units in a building of up to 12 storeys.

I'll believe any of this (especially the 12 storey residential building) when it actually gets built. Until then I remain sceptical.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#76 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:06 PM

The former Tudor House Pub site now has construction fencing all around it.

There are the typical "All visitors must report and wear safety equipment..." signs posted.

No other project info posted though.

All the various parked cars are gone too.

• Mike K. and Bernard like this

#77 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:06 PM

Excavator on site now at the old Tudor.

It was digging about a foot deep near the corner and the hedges that miraculously didn't burn in the fire are gone.

The company signs on the site trailer is Wales McLelland Construction.

A building design, construction company from Richmond.

Their site lists about 7-8 projects in Victoria;

Shoppers Drug Mart, Sooke.  Jordans Furniture, Douglas at Queens.  Esquimalt town hall/library.  Sysco Foods in Langford among others.

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

The Tudor House liquor store, which burned down back in 2013, has opened. It's quite the place and well worth a visit.

Staff say they are still working on fine-tuning their selection and will be making additions to their product line once the store becomes a little more established.

liquor store.jpeg

Know it all.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

Do you think they've gone a bit upscale - for Esquimalt?

There is a reason 7/Elevens mostly sell pop and chips.

I laugh a bit at the Rialto liquor store. They try to be upscale with nice window displays etc. But ask the workers there what sells, and I have. It's the cheap beer, the mickeys of Alberta vodka etc.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 July 2017 - 08:49 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

We focus too much on the strip of apartments along the main thoroughfare and forget that there's a lot of wealth in Esquimalt, plus it's got the military (thousands of men and women with top-end salaries who love their drink).

I think Esquimalt is tired of mediocrity. The municipality wants to finally break free of the stigma the media has forced upon it. And every city needs its "bad area," so folks from all over the region continue to visualize Esquimalt as a shady place.
  • sebberry and Mr.B like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users