BUILT
Dominion Rocket Residences
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 700-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Dominion Rocket Residences is a micro-unit rental building in the former Dominion Hotel at Yates and Blanshard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dominion Rocket Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

Victoria Rocket Residences at the Dominion (Dalton Hotel) | Renovated into rentals in 2015

Rental

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#21 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Jonny I imagine it would be low rent based on the very small room size as per VicHockeyFan's post above, the lack of in room laundry, likely the lack of a full modern kitchen, no balconies, and all the other issues that come with living in one of the oldest buildings in Victoria. Not to mention only 6 to 12 months of renos means no extensive changes or upgrades. I'm fine with more lower income rentals, definitely needed!

#22 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

I dug up the investment prospectus

rents $725-995
bachelors 160-240sf
1 bedrooms 390-410sf

Wow, thats small, I think I have closets bigger than that. Its sounds similar to the Janion proposal

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

I think the second floor is not currently being used and requires renovation, hence the smaller amount of hotel rooms. At least that was the case a little while ago.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

I think the second floor is not currently being used and requires renovation, hence the smaller amount of hotel rooms. At least that was the case a little while ago.

Correct, the previous owner gutted the floor, 67 out of 99 are in use.

Nothing will start on this project this year

#25 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

rents $725-995
bachelors 160-240sf
1 bedrooms 390-410sf

Wow, thats small, I think I have closets bigger than that. Its sounds similar to the Janion proposal

good god...the City of Van won't even let a Developer put in units that small unless its classified as a SRO... the smallest Apartment/Condo City of Van will approve is approx. 320sf and for that kinda of price? that's just ridiculous. The small units are smaller than my office.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

Why can't they make them any size they want? Nobody is making anyone live there. Why is it assumed that people can not live in a space the size of a hotel room? I could.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

160 square feet is possible although the space has to be crafted by a skilled architect and the apartment must have customized multi-purpose furniture. You can't just hand the renter an empty room and expect them to outfit it themselves. Every square inch has to be considered.

Here are a couple of lessons learned from an earlier 160 sq. ft. experiment:

• The ceiling should be 9-feet high.
• While a 10-feet wide room works, 11-feet is better.

http://www.apartment...partment-166911

Will the Dalton meet that requirement? I doubt it. The developers should scrap the 160 plan if they can't. Height and lots of light are essential for making small spaces livable.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

Dalton Hotel to be converted to rental suites
Published: September 25, 2013 3:00 PM
Updated: September 25, 2013 3:48 PM

Guests at B.C.’s oldest continuously operating hotel have been told to leave by Monday as the building is renovated and turned into mostly-bachelor suites over the next 18 months.

Work on the Dalton Hotel at 759 Yates St. will begin this fall on 81 bachelor and 12 one-bedroom units after a group of investors purchased the building, said Jordan Milne, president of GMC Projects.

“We’re in the process of determining the extent of what we want to do,” Milne said.

A permit will likely be required to replace the existing storefront entrance to the lobby and to expose original brick columns on the main floor, Milne said.

Retail tenants, including a liquor store and two restaurants, on the main floor of the building are expected to stay open during renovations.

A hotel has been located on the site since 1862, while the current three-storey masonry structure was constructed in 1890.

http://www.vicnews.c.../225264991.html

#29 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Jonny I imagine it would be low rent based on the very small room size as per VicHockeyFan's post above, the lack of in room laundry, likely the lack of a full modern kitchen, no balconies, and all the other issues that come with living in one of the oldest buildings in Victoria. Not to mention only 6 to 12 months of renos means no extensive changes or upgrades. I'm fine with more lower income rentals, definitely needed!

Point taken, I was equating "low rent" with the place being a dive. Small, relatively low cost units don't have to be holes (although $700-$1,000 for that small of a space seems like a rip off to me).

18 months of renos according to the TC. :cheers:

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

HERE ***pdf is the plan. You can get in on the ground floor with a $10,000 investment.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

at least the units will be bigger than these places. 9 square feet is big enough isn't it?

http://inhabitat.com...-shopping-cart/

http://inhabitat.com...for-one-person/

http://inhabitat.com...gal-micro-home/

#32 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

rents $725-995
bachelors 160-240sf
1 bedrooms 390-410sf

Yup. SRO small. Sounds like it's gonna be a classy joint.

#33 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

I am really surprised the city allows cooking kitchenettes (and the assumption of proper venting) in 200sq ft with the allowance of long term rental inhabitants.

#34 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

I understand that UVic has already signed an agreement to let 50 of them - I assume as a downtown overflow residence.

#35 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Why can't they make them any size they want? Nobody is making anyone live there. Why is it assumed that people can not live in a space the size of a hotel room? I could.

Because there is very little negotiation between equals in the rental market.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Huh?

#37 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Is this like what's happening at the former Queen Victoria Inn?
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#38 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

rents $725-995
bachelors 160-240sf
1 bedrooms 390-410sf

Shocking!! Those numbers just don't add up. Assuming the low rent of $725 at 160 sq ft, that's of course $4.53 per square foot per month. Now, equate that to a typical modern downtown condo of 750 sq ft with in suite laundry, yadda yadda, at $4.53, that would equal a monthly rent of $3,397.50 per month. Right... They'll be lucky to get $450 per month for the smaller suites, very lucky.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

Right... They'll be lucky to get $450 per month for the smaller suites, very lucky.

Oh, come on, nobody gets less than $700 for brand new suites. The current long-term tenants (that are moving out this weekend) are paying $600-$650 right now, for dreary hotel rooms with no housekeeping.

#40 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

That may be true, but one of the best ways to create more balance has to be the availability of more rental units.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users