Provincial NDP leadership race - 2014

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

John Horgan has declared today that he WILL NOT run for NDP leader.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,509 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hm, interesting. I always got the distinct impression Horgan would take a shot at the top slot. I wonder if Farnworth will re-consider now? I had heard in the past, anecdotally via folks connected to their caucus, that he was not interested which was too bad IMO. He is one of the very few in that mob that would actually cause me to pause and consider voting NDP, which I have never done in my life. Either way it should be very interesting now to see who does step up.

#3 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

John Horgan has declared today that he WILL NOT run for NDP leader.

Surprising in some ways, but not in others, especially when you consider he has already talked about stepping aside for this so-called "next generation" of leadership.

The problem with that argument is the next generation does not really exist in the BC NDP except as a shell of its former self, as it has been alienated by the provincial party's actions, current brass, and policies, leaving a vacuum that will, inevitably, be filled by another round of mediocre career politicians who have no idea how to connect with voters. The only difference will be that they're 30 years old instead of 50.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#4 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Nathan Cullen may be interested in throwing his hat in the ring. He was interviewed on Power and Politics a few weeks ago and said he would consider it.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

I think the most likely serious candidates are:

Mike Farnworth or Rob Fleming. If Mike Farnworth does not run I would expect Rob Fleming to run.
Cathy Corrigan or Derek Corrigan - she is an MLA he is mayor of Burnaby
Nathan Cullen
George Heyman
Lana Popham

Long shots that might enter the race to raise profile or make a point
Robin Austin if Nathan Cullen does not run to make an issue of rural BC
Harry Bains
Don Davies
David Eby
Peter Julian
Fin Donnelly - a green NDP MP of five years
Darrell Mussatto - mayor of North Vancouver
Jinny Sims
Charlie Wyse

#6 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

Fleming, Popham.............seriously?

The Lib machine will shred them both on their credentials!

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

I think the NDP are done, and Andrew Weaver and the Green's will be the new direction.

#8 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

I think the NDP are done, and Andrew Weaver and the Green's will be the new direction.

Agreed. They chose the wrong leader, and their pathetic performance during the campaign convinced me that they didn't really want to win. It's too easy being in opposition.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

New Democrat MLA Rob Fleming has officially announced he will not seek the leadership bid for the BC NDP.

The Victoria-Swan Lake MLA released a statement on Saturday, saying he had made the decision not to run. “The job of party leader is one that requires enormous personal sacrifices and I have tremendous respect for those who seek it,” he said, in the statement, adding that he is excited to work with the new leader and caucus to “advance a progressive vision for B.C.”

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz2wlZ2ly40

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

Does anyone have a list of caucus endorsements? I love when news articles say stuff like "15 MLAs today endorsed John Horgan" but don't actually tell you who they are.

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:31 AM

Does anyone have a list of caucus endorsements? I love when news articles say stuff like "15 MLAs today endorsed John Horgan" but don't actually tell you who they are.

You can find his supporters if you search around.

Supporting John Horgan:

Robin Austin, Harry Bains, Raj Chouhan, Judy Darcy, Kathy Corrigan, David Eby, Mable Elmore, Scott Fraser, Sue Hammell, Carole James, Maurine Karagianis, Michelle Mungall, Bill Routley, Jane Shin, Claire Trevena

http://thetyee.ca/Bl...ocraticSupport/

http://globalnews.ca...om-10-new-mlas/

http://www.bclocalne...tml?mobile=true

#12 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

So isn't this the equivalent of repositioning the chairs on the titanic?

I thought the NDP was all about minority equality? Where's the 1 legged, hermaphrodite that doesn't speak English to go up against the white male? :rtfm: (disclaimer, I have nothing against 1 legged hermaphrodites)

Of the 2 my money is on Horgan

#13 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

So isn't this the equivalent of repositioning the chairs on the titanic?

I thought the NDP was all about minority equality? Where's the 1 legged, hermaphrodite that doesn't speak English to go up against the white male? :rtfm: (disclaimer, I have nothing against 1 legged hermaphrodites)

Of the 2 my money is on Horgan

That's a good bet. Horgan is the establishment candidate. The leadership vote will be rigged to ensure he wins. :)

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

I'd be happy to see Horgan win, he'll make for a poor candidate against whoever in the next election. 

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#15 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

I'd be happy to see Horgan win, he'll make for a poor candidate against whoever in the next election. 

Horgan would mop the floor with anyone the Liberals put up. So would Farnworth. The problem for the NDP was that the Liberals' messaging is miles better than theirs, and actually coherent.

Really, let's face it, the NDP's messaging lost them the election -- it wasn't a referendum on Adrian Dix. They had terrible, brutal messaging. And they still will, because the same people are behind Horgan now who were behind Dix in 2011. That's why Horgan will win the leadership but the NDP will lose again in 2017.

#16 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

You can find his supporters if you search around.

Supporting John Horgan:

Robin Austin, Harry Bains, Raj Chouhan, Judy Darcy, Kathy Corrigan, David Eby, Mable Elmore, Scott Fraser, Sue Hammell, Carole James, Maurine Karagianis, Michelle Mungall, Bill Routley, Jane Shin, Claire Trevena

http://thetyee.ca/Bl...ocraticSupport/

http://globalnews.ca...om-10-new-mlas/

http://www.bclocalne...tml?mobile=true

Thanks. Though it seems like Horgan has more caucus support, I think Farnworth has been planning this for awhile. He most likely has the advantage when it comes to money and organization.

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

Well there goes my hunch that Harcourt would be a dark horse.

http://www.theglobea...rticle17751648/

#18 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

I think both Farnworth and Horgan can be considered establishment... I don't know if the NDP will do much better without a completely fresh face a la Trudeau coupled with multiple mistakes/scandals of the sitting Liberals. The last election, they had the ultimate establishment leader, and still lost in spite of all the mistakes the Liberals made.

#19 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

The NDP make great opposition. That's a really good place for them.

• Mike K. and rjag like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#20 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

The NDP make great opposition. That's a really good place for them.

Unless the opposition can form a government from time to time then we don't really have a democracy, do we?

• tedward likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users