BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#301 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

I didn't realize that people were already residing in and renting out the units in the heritage buildings on the site...

#302 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

One year since a good street-level photo? C'mon, shutterbugs!

• Nparker likes this

#303 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

Who needs a desk or bookcase when you've got a whole library downstairs! Big library is definitely in on the fix with these floorplans.

I though the library thing happened late in the planning process. If so it couldn't have seriously affected floor plans? In any case I have books and knicknacks of my own, DVDs etc that I need some shelf space for. Need a desk for my desktop PC, printer etc.

#304 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

The 2 bed + 2 bath + den/office would be nice!

The floorplate is an odd shape for the D2/3 layouts. The D1 layout could work for me, one bedroom for an office.

#305 iambach

iambach
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

I'm trying to figure out if I want to wait for this place or not. Does anyone know anything about the pricing of the condos or is willing to hazard a guess? I don't want to wait another year and a half just to find out I can't afford this place.

#306 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

Call concert properties and ask

#307 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

I'm trying to figure out if I want to wait for this place or not. Does anyone know anything about the pricing of the condos or is willing to hazard a guess? I don't want to wait another year and a half just to find out I can't afford this place.

Given the current market I don't think you'll see anything under $700 a square foot.  That gives you a bit of an idea.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#308 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

Correct. And it'll be concrete, so that should give us every indication it'll be at the higher end of the spectrum to begin with. The only comparable right now is The Wade if concrete is what you're after, then there's Lyra out in Saanich. Otherwise it's all highrises or woodframes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#309 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

986 Heywood will also be a concrete lowrise, though no prices have been released...

#310 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

One year since a good street-level photo? C'mon, shutterbugs!

Long-time lurker (i.e. admirer), first time poster, so hope these photos come through.

Here are some shots from the past two weeks or so.  

Starting off from the south side (Michigan St) mid-block,looking north, and a walk around the site counter-clockwise.

So Michigan (yet-to-be-built residential condo/townhouses, but with heritage houses already relocated to Michigan and being rented out).

Menzies (corner where Red Barn Market is going to be), with rental on Menzies above retail.

Superior (corner is entrance to future library branch), with government offices all along Superior.

Public square (with views from back of the legislature).  Next to the Queen's Printer the old office buildings will be demolished for phase 2), which will be further government offices. 

Back around to Michigan St with it's 3 relocated heritage houses.

Attached Images

• eIMG_7556.jpg
  • IMG_7605.jpg
  • dIMG_7555.jpg
  • bIMG_7552.jpg
  • fIMG_7569.jpg
  • gIMG_7570.jpg
  • hIMG_7554.jpg
  • iIMG_7571.jpg
  • IMG_7573.jpg
  • IMG_7574.jpg
  • IMG_7575.jpg
  • IMG_7576.jpg
  • IMG_7577.jpg
  • IMG_7578.jpg
  • IMG_7579.jpg
  • IMG_7580.jpg
  • IMG_7581.jpg
  • IMG_7582.jpg
  • IMG_7583.jpg
  • IMG_7584.jpg
  • IMG_7585.jpg
  • IMG_7586.jpg
  • IMG_7587.jpg
  • IMG_7588.jpg
  • IMG_7589.jpg
  • IMG_7590.jpg
  • IMG_7591.jpg
  • IMG_7593.jpg
  • IMG_7594.jpg
  • IMG_7595.jpg
  • IMG_7596.jpg
  • IMG_7597.jpg
  • IMG_7598.jpg
  • IMG_7599.jpg
  • IMG_7600.jpg
  • IMG_7602.jpg
  • IMG_7603.jpg
  • IMG_7604.jpg
  • IMG_7606.jpg

• aastra, G-Man, Rob Randall and 2 others like this

#311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:02 PM

Smokes it right out of the park (get it, Capital Park?) right in the first post.

Welcome to VV!

Now I'll let myself out.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#312 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

986 Heywood will also be a concrete lowrise, though no prices have been released...

Correct, although I'm not sure if that's received final approvals just yet. I also suspect it will be one of the most expensive projects on the market when it hits.

Know it all.

#313 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

Now THIS is how you design and build a low-rise office building. It respects its historic environment without mimicking it. High quality finishing materials are used and just enough "additional scale" is introduced to make excellent use of its site. I am very excited to watch as this project moves along towards completion.

Edit: I almost forgot: Thank you Kungsberg for these most excellent photos. Your lurking has paid off.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Nparker, 29 April 2017 - 02:31 PM.

• Rob Randall and Kungsberg like this

#314 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

Yep, thanks KB!

Although I'll disagree with NParker, such a bleak, uninspired and ultimately disappointing building. I'm still hopeful in terms of the landscaping and outdoor public realm, although maybe I shouldn't be. :(

#315 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:44 PM

THIS is how you make a VV debut post!  Wow.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#316 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

... such a bleak, uninspired and ultimately disappointing building...

Not enough red brick cladding for you? Perhaps you were hoping the architects would have taken their inspiration from the fine river rock edifices of Langford.

• JoshV likes this

#317 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:48 PM

Red brick would make it even worse I'm afraid, let's not even mention river rock! ;). Come on NP, are those the only three possible styles you can think of!?

There's a reason no one is taking pics of this development, it's bland! Thank god Kungsburg finally gave us an update! As I've always said, and I think Aastra subscribes to this theory as well.. good buildings make you stop and look, think, admire and maybe even take a pic.

This is a massive office complex/mixed use development DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET FROM ARGUEABLY THE FINEST BUILDING EVER BUILT IN BC, and THAT is the best we can do?! It's a bland suburban office park, devastating..

We didn't have to break the bank to build something special either..

#318 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

I dunno, it's got that one angle thing going on.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#319 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

Would something like this had been so hard? 

01_2015_cgarchitects_medium.jpg

Definitely feels more urban and solid than what we have now.  Render from CGarchitect.com

Not quite, but this still is better from Archdaily.com:

Fornebuporten_Dark_Arkitekter_Hufton_Cro

another possibility:

MECANOO_MANCHESTER_V1-FINAL-V2.jpg?forma

#320 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:10 PM

....There's a reason no one is taking pics of this development, it's bland!...

Or perhaps because it's only about 25% complete. 

I stand by my assessment that this project, when complete, will be a good fit for its surroundings, both in scale and aesthetics. Keep in mind that this is Victoria and perhaps even more critical, this project is in James Bay, where there is zero chance of anything terribly innovative (in a contemporary architectural sense) being approved. The earlier, dead-on-arrival designs for the Crystal Court site

CC.JPG

and the Admiral's Inn pyramid proposal

AI pyramid.JPG

speak volumes as to what happens to non-traditional designs in this part of the city.

Since you (and apparently aastra) feel this project is too bland, perhaps you can supply some examples of what you would have liked to have seen here that would have made it past the scrutiny of both the James Bay NIMBY Association and Pam Madoff's style council.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users