BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#321 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:12 PM

Would something like this had been so hard? 

Come on zoomer, you know that none of those designs would ever have been approved for this location.

#322 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

I honestly think if you put any of those three proposals (same concept, materials but scaled down to 5-6 stories with plaza, etc.) and presented them against what is now being built, it would have gone through with flying colours. Tell the residents it's all green and sh*t, not tall, they get a library, grocery store, etc, they would peeing their pants in glee. Now they get the same massing in an uglier bulkier suburban form.  As I said, I still hope/think the landscaping/pedestrian zones will make it nice enough to hang out at and eat a Red Barn sandwich. 

#323 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

I honestly think if you put any of those three proposals (same concept, materials but scaled down to 5-6 stories with plaza, etc.) and presented them against what is now being built, it would have gone through with flying colours...

Really? In James Bay? Adjacent to the Legislative Buildings? A recent arrival to the City of Gardens are you?  ;)

#324 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

1984? I guess that's recent :)

Give em a sh*t sandwich or Italian Deli, see what they pick. Even then, they should never have a perceived veto. It's ironic how there is a vocal minority in James Bay that actually thinks it should be more like Qualicum Beach. Let's chip in for some bus tickets to fulfill their dreams.

#325 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:24 PM

Sorry for being so late to this party. I was at Emergency all night having other people's words removed from my mouth.

I'm not seeing a lot of personality in the main body of it. It looks very reserved. Inoffensive modern institutional building. But the corners add variation and it seem like they'll look -- and actually be -- more accessible, which is good. I still worry about the size of that main square.

Methinks a helping of Selkirk sauce would have worked well here. Maybe it will come yet. Then again, the grounds and the landscaping are going to be such a big part of this one, probably more so than any recent project. I'm inclined to wait & see how it all comes together.

post-3955-0-44368700-1493492806.jpg

#326 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

My biggest concern so far is the lack of commercial space on Superior Street at ground level. I am never a fan of offices at grade, but I appreciate this is not (currently) the most dynamic street for pedestrian activity. I am hopeful the Capital Part project will go a long way to bring vibrancy to this area.

#327 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

There used to be a bus stop (with a shelter) on Superior next to Menzies. No sign of a bus stop there currently, though I'm wondering if that will be restored at a later point. Seems like a good place for it.

#328 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

There used to be a bus stop (with a shelter) on Superior next to Menzies. No sign of a bus stop there currently, though I'm wondering if that will be restored at a later point...

Not if Superior is scheduled to have a bike lane. In the name of going green, bus stops are removed to accommodate single-passenger transportation. 

#329 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

^ Also, BC Transit is studying and surveying James Bay to come up with a new bus plan. That might affect the placement of any new stops in the vicinity of Capital Park.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#330 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Photos from May 4th

Attached Images

• IMG_7408.JPG
  • IMG_7411.JPG

• Nparker and RoadRunner like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#331 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:10 PM

Concert has now released rental information for “Capital Park Residences” (the rental component of the project, with rental apartments above ground-floor retail on Menzies St.).  They’re taking applications for October 1 move-in.

Cap Park 1.jpg

Cap Park 2.jpg

Floor plans:  

http://www.mylasso.c..._Floorplans.pdf

Features and amenities: 

http://mylasso.com/F...Information.pdf

CP3.jpg

In the image above, the rental component is in the middle of that block, with the library on the bottom left and Red Barn at the other end.

In the image below, Menzies St is on the left.

CP4.jpg

• tedward, jonny and thundergun like this

#332 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

Pricey, though the location is excellent and the list of features and amenities looks good.

#333 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

Walked by this building last night. That siding on it looks terrible.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#334 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

Walked by this building last night. That siding on it looks terrible.

The residential, not the office building, correct?

#335 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

Yes the rental building has hardi-plank siding. I am very disappointed.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#336 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

Yes the rental building has hardi-plank siding...

Uggh. Hardi-plank should never be used on any building more than 2 floors in height. It always looks cheap.

#337 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

We're not allowed to say that. Every Jawl building is perfect, right?

#338 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

An indication of potential occupation date. BCBid for moving services:

The Ministry of Technology, Innovation and Citizens' Services (MTICS) requires the services of a Contractor to provide move services for the Province. Approximately 780 staff of the Ministry of Children & Family Development (MCFD) and the Ministry of Environment (ENV) are moving to Capital Park, 525 Superior Street, Victoria. The staff currently resides at 765 and777 Broughton, 940 Blanshard, 395 Waterfront, 2975 Jutland and 4460 Chatterton Way, Victoria

The move is anticipated to begin on September 7, 2017 with completion on or before October 31, 2017.

• Kungsberg likes this

#339 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:10 PM

Approximately 780 staff of the Ministry of Children & Family Development (MCFD) and the Ministry of Environment (ENV) are moving to Capital Park, 525 Superior Street, Victoria. The staff currently resides at 765 and777 Broughton, 940 Blanshard, 395 Waterfront, 2975 Jutland and 4460 Chatterton Way, Victoria

Quite the consolidation there.

#340 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

The apartments will lease Oct 1 ...is there a sense of how many of the suites have been preleased?

The Red Barn Market opens next year.... 

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 10 July 2017 - 02:13 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users