BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#341 TransplantedEdmontonian

TransplantedEdmontonian
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:02 AM

The Red Barn Market opens next year.... 

The sign at Michigan and Menzies says late 2017, but perhaps it lies!

#342 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

The sign at Michigan and Menzies says late 2017, but perhaps it lies!

The January 2018 opening date is listed on their Facebook post, but that was a while back and so it might be possible that the opening has moved up by a month or so.

#343 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

Some photos from this past week - 

The 'retail pavilion' in the centre of the site is starting to take shape. It's supposed to have a café or restaurant of some sort, and has the walk-on-the-sloped-roof feature with views of the square and the back of the legislature.

There's progress on the Superior St sidewalk side......not sure if what I'm seeing is sidewalk, bike lane, and then bus stop pull-off and bus stop island (?), or perhaps no bus stuff at all and some of that is for trees & landscaping (as someone has mentioned BC Transit is re-configuring bus routes in the area and perhaps buses won't be on this block).

The view from the Michigan & Menzies Sts corner, into the site.  I'd imagine a lot of foot traffic through that particular site entry as a major way for pedestrians to get back & forth from James Bay (particularly Menzies St shops) and into downtown.

You can also see the concrete retaining walls for some of the raised landscaping that will take place in the interior of the site.  The retaining walls form part of an entry to the underground parking (there are two entries; this one is the entry off Menzies St mid-block).

Attached Images

• 1a.jpg
  • 1b.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4a.jpg
  • 4b.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 6b.jpg
  • 7 .jpg
  • 7b.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 13.jpg
  • 13b.jpg
  • 14.jpg
  • 15.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker, 2F2R and 4 others like this

#344 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

780 staff moving eh? That's pretty big.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#345 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

Any word on the construction start for phase two?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#346 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

The residential portion seems really lackluster.

• Nparker likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#347 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

Any word on the construction start for phase two?

I believe they're on track for Phase 2, with demolition of the remaining old office buildings on Superior slated for this Fall.  

Phase 1 was two years, and Phase 2 is supposed to be 2 years also.

• Mike K. likes this

#348 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

An indication of potential occupation date. BCBid for moving services:

The Ministry of Technology, Innovation and Citizens' Services (MTICS) requires the services of a Contractor to provide move services for the Province. Approximately 780 staff of the Ministry of Children & Family Development (MCFD) and the Ministry of Environment (ENV) are moving to Capital Park, 525 Superior Street, Victoria. The staff currently resides at 765 and777 Broughton, 940 Blanshard, 395 Waterfront, 2975 Jutland and 4460 Chatterton Way, Victoria

The move is anticipated to begin on September 7, 2017 with completion on or before October 31, 2017.

Does anyone know what is happening to the office spaces mentioned above that are getting freed up by this move?  Is it just more room for those left behind in those offices, or will there be any consolidation of remaining office space (whether owned or leased by the Province), or possibly an end to the leases there?

#349 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

Does anyone know what is happening to the office spaces mentioned above that are getting freed up by this move?..

I am not sure, but this link might help: http://www.accommoda.../Surplus_Space/

• Kungsberg likes this

#350 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

Robert Jawl updated the James Bay Neighbourhood Assn. meeting last week. He said that the move in and occupancy will be October 1. That also applies to the residences. At the same time they will start the demolition of the last two old buildings. He said that would be a bit slow, then excavation. And yes, I believe two years is what's estimated for phase 2. They wouldn't be pinned down on exactly when phase 3 would start, but it won't be long before the entire project is complete.

• Kungsberg likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#351 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

...it won't be long before the entire project is complete.

If by "it won't be long" you mean 3-4 years, then I suppose it's nearly complete.  ;)

#352 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

Phase two is the second office building, or more residences? I was always under the impression that this was a two phase project.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#353 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

If by "it won't be long" you mean 3-4 years, then I suppose it's nearly complete.  ;)

3-4 years is a breakneck pace for this size of development, by Victoria standards!

• Nparker and jonny like this

#354 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

3-4 years is a breakneck pace for this size of development, by Victoria standards!

3-4 years is a blink of an eye in the context of the Roundhouse, Dockside Green, Hudson Place and the Railyards!

#355 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Sad, but true.

Unless of course you are a pot shop, then in less than 2 years Victoria can go from zero to nearly 40.

#356 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

Sad, but true.

Unless of course you are a pot shop, then in less than 2 years Victoria can go from zero to nearly 40.

Hey, hey...you're getting some benefit out of this too Nparker. I think you're post count has nearly doubled in that time solely off of the back of anti-dispensary comments. Lisa Helps and Ben Isitt are doing you a huuuuge favour!

Edited by shoeflack, 18 July 2017 - 08:20 AM.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#357 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

To clarify, I didn't mean this is a fast-paced development, just that the Jawls are committed to completing the entire project. In reference to no exact date for phase 3, I mean to say that it won't be long before they start that too.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#358 Jjly83

Jjly83
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

Phase two is the second office building, or more residences? I was always under the impression that this was a two phase project.

According to this PDF phase 3 will be where most of the residential (strata) should be built.

http://www.victoria.... Guidelines.pdf

Edited by Jjly83, 19 July 2017 - 03:23 PM.

#359 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

Gotcha. Thank you!

Know it all.

#360 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

IMG_6333.JPG
IMG_6332.JPG
Taken today (21 July 2017)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users