BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#361 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

Looks cheap with what appears to be vinyl siding if thats what it is....thought vinyl siding went the way of waterbeds

#362 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

I have to agree with the opinion that the residential portion looks cheap. Perhaps it will improve when complete, but so far it's not exactly a knockout.

#363 LV

LV
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

(Been lurking for a while..first post!)

Dear God, that grey vertical striped whatever-that-is on the roof combined with the light horizontal striped siding.. my EYES!  

Admittedly, I know nothing about design, but even *I* can see that this is looking pretty unattractive.  Is this not the same developer that did Aria & Era..both of which are much nicer-looking than this?  I've been super excited about this project and frankly, any new development in James Bay but man.. I hope it somehow gets better.  Gonna go check it out next weekend and hope a miracle has occurred.  

#364 Jjly83

Jjly83
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:40 AM

(Been lurking for a while..first post!)

Dear God, that grey vertical striped whatever-that-is on the roof combined with the light horizontal striped siding.. my EYES!  

Admittedly, I know nothing about design, but even *I* can see that this is looking pretty unattractive.  Is this not the same developer that did Aria & Era..both of which are much nicer-looking than this?  I've been super excited about this project and frankly, any new development in James Bay but man.. I hope it somehow gets better.  Gonna go check it out next weekend and hope a miracle has occurred.  

I also think it's a weird choice to use such a design in a prime location like this but since it is a rental only I guess they can get away with keeping costs down. Side note, Aria was built by Alpha (who's doing Legato now). I am interested in purchasing once the condo phase starts but not if the designs mirror this building for style.

#365 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

...but since it is a rental only I guess they can get away with keeping costs down.

Not only that but sometimes the best strategy for satisfying the forces of eternal opposition is to give them something that looks totally out of place. Crazy but true. Do the apartments shown below look like James Bay?

post-77-0-61820400-1500684982.jpg

#366 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

...Do the apartments shown below look like James Bay?

Sadly, yes.  :(

• Mike K. likes this

#367 LV

LV
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

I was trying to think what it reminds me of... it has come to me.  

Looks like my long-term storage unit

I'm hoping the balconies are at least glass.

storage.JPG

#368 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

Yup...not exactly confidence-inspiring; very "1970's" looking.....

#369 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

I wonder if that is a design that the James Bay Neighbourhood Assn felt blended in. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#370 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

I wonder if that is a design that the James Bay Neighbourhood Assn felt blended in. 

Because that is what good architecture does, blend in.  :whyme:

#371 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

You may be right. That's what I was getting at when I said "...sometimes the best strategy for satisfying the forces of eternal opposition is to give them something that looks totally out of place."

Then again, maybe I should be happy that it doesn't have that grey/brown modern box look. It's frickin' everywhere now.

#372 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

...maybe I should be happy that it doesn't have that grey/brown modern box look. It's frickin' everywhere now.

That would be 1000 times better than the 1980s suburban tract house look that is being employed here.

#373 LV

LV
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

I took a few pics this morning, there isn't a *whole* lot different to the naked eye from the last set of pics someone posted.

- The ramp in the courtyard-greenspace area is taking shape.

- The roof of the first set of office buildings looks to be nearing completion.

- The latest on the residential building including the Red Barn area on the lower level at the Michigan & Menzies end.

I was hoping to see the balcony walls, I'm really hoping they'll be all glass (and not something solid) to redeem the aesthetic a bit.  

Attached Images

• IMG_9157b.jpg
  • IMG_9160.JPG
  • IMG_9168.JPG
  • IMG_9169.JPG
  • IMG_9171.JPG
  • IMG_9173.JPG
  • IMG_9174.JPG

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#374 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

Gosh, that whole thing just looks so ugly, lol.

#375 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

I disagree.  The steel on the mansard roof looks good, the brown siding is uninspiring, but mostly due to colour and style (the other contrasting colours are fine), but let's see what the ground floor and the balcony railings bring.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 July 2017 - 08:20 AM.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#376 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

The whole thing? I think the office/commercial components look very good.
  • Bingo likes this

#377 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:00 AM

It's far too reminiscent of many of the 4-storey apartments constructed in Victoria in the 1970s.

mansard.JPG

mansard2.JPG

mansard3.JPG

The metal "mansard" roof being one of the worst parts. They could have at least used traditional wooden shakes on this section. Truly dreadful.

• LV likes this

#378 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:03 AM

...I think the office/commercial components look very good.

That's the really sad part. They did do a very good job on the office/commercial section, but seem to have completely failed on the residential part. Let's hope they redeem themselves on the future portions of this development.

#379 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

I give it a 9.3 out of 10.  

• Bingo likes this

#380 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

I give it a 9.3 out of 10.  

Office section perhaps; residential portion 9.3/100.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users