BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#401 LV

LV
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

Exciting!  I'd love to see Fishhook set up shop in this development.  Imagine they'd do killer business during the lunch hour with all those government employees right next door.
-------
Fishhook operators set sights on new downtown eateries
"Operators involved in Victoria’s popular Fishhook seafood eatery are reportedly opening three additional locations in the city’s downtown core and James Bay, Citified has learned.

Sources tell Citified the concept for the three locations – reportedly eyed for the retail component of Jawl Properties’ nearly completed 1515 Douglas and 750 Pandora office development, a vacant retail space at the foot of Swift Street and an office complex nearing completion in James Bay – may not necessarily mirror Fishhook's Fort Street offerings, although there will likely be a seafood component to the menu."

#402 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Today I went to see what some have been labeling as uninspiring, tacky and disappointing.

IMG_7306.JPG

IMG_7303.JPG

IMG_7297.JPG

IMG_7300.JPG

IMG_7298.JPG

• Nparker likes this

#403 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

Today I went to see what some have been labeling as uninspiring, tacky and disappointing.

It's really only the residential portion that I find terribly underwhelming. I also wish there were street-level retail along Superior.

#404 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

It is very suburban office park though.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#405 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

I get more of a Selkirk Waterfront vibe. Is that a suburban office park?

Again, I think the office portion looks very good.
  • shoeflack likes this

#406 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

If the underdeveloped areas of James Bay magically transformed over night into something 75% as cool, trendy, modern and attractive as Selkirk, I would be ecstatic.
  • Bingo likes this

#407 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:43 PM

I get more of a Selkirk Waterfront vibe. Is that a suburban office park?

Again, I think the office portion looks very good.

I actually feel it is a suburban office park... yet shouldn't of been.

#408 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:45 PM

If the underdeveloped areas of James Bay magically transformed over night into something 75% as cool, trendy, modern and attractive as Selkirk, I would be ecstatic.

Say what? Selkirk is poorly designed and hardly trendy! They have Glo... and their barely Selkirk is barely known for that!

Edited by sdwright.vic, 09 August 2017 - 07:38 AM.

#409 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

It is very suburban office park though.

The whole thing is replacing what was government offices, so the buildings are office consideration first and retail second, not the other way around.

#410 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:06 PM

The whole thing is replacing what was government offices, so the buildings are office consideration first and retail second, not the other way around.

The days of designing office space at street level should be long over. It's the absolute worst for vibrancy. If retail isn't viable at grade then at least some sort of non-office use that creates activity after 5:00 PM and on weekends is a must.

• sdwright.vic and grantpalin like this

#411 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

Say what? Selkirk is poorly designed and hardly trendy! They have Glo... and their barely even known for that!

The office spaces are great. Places like Glo and Catalyst are very nice. The townhomes are really nice. I would much rather live at Selkirk than James Bay, Harris Green, North Park or downtown. Like we have discussed before, the area needs higher density, but it's hardly done growing.

If this isn't trendy, modern architecture, please provide some more apt examples in Victoria, because I can't think of a more modern neighbourhood in Greater Victoria. How is it poorly designed? Ingress and egress is simple. Parking is never a problem. The buildings look great.

Some pics from last week...

Yes, the interior of the sky bridge is still not finished, but man those townhomes look fantastic, and big.  There are only 4 on the waterfront but I don't remember if they extend to the street or if there's another set of 4 on that side?  Oh, and there's a totem pole in the new lobby.

17269631675_9b7f32e43c_h.jpg

17081868048_6f0a56e6b8_h.jpg

17243660246_5dab3b6a92_h.jpg

17083428719_86d29a7ffb_h.jpg

16647185094_2172f9bd0b_h.jpg

16649413563_471e36dccc_h.jpg

• shoeflack likes this

#412 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

It does little to engage as a neighborhood or the neighborhood around it. It could of been a buzzing environment at all times, not just office hours. It could of also engaged with Gorge Rd better a d added a commercial area. It was a good attempt at "trendy" office buildings yes, but failed delivery in other ways negates that.
  • Nparker likes this

#413 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

Selkirk is great, but it is the waterfront setting that is the draw and and helps with the pizazz. 

I think once Capital Park is finished it will have a much better feel, but I like what I see so far.

• jonny likes this

#414 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

It does little to engage as a neighborhood or the neighborhood around it. It could of been a buzzing environment at all times, not just office hours. It could of also engaged with Gorge Rd better a d added a commercial area. It was a good attempt at "trendy" office buildings yes, but failed delivery in other ways negates that.

The neighbourhood around it is largely a dump of cheap strip malls, industrial lots and worn out bargain brand motels. There's not much there to engage with or that's even worth engaging, IMO. I think they were right to cut the development off from Gorge Road, which has to be one of the least inviting major thoroughfares in Greater Victoria.

The important aspect is that it engages very well with the Gorge waterway. The area needs more residents to have that buzzing environment, but it's hardly the architect's fault that the surrounding area has a pathetic population density and that most of the surrounding properties have vast swaths of pavement. The nearby population of crushed cars dramatically surpasses the population of human beings.

Anyway, my point was to compare the architecture of the commercial buildings at Capital Park and Selkirk. I find both to be attractive. A community vibe is all about population and actual human beings. Capital Park should have more of a buzz and vibe than Selkirk as the area around it is not completely devoid of life and residents.

#415 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

Seriously, all the Selkirk needs to do is build on the parking lots in the middle and on the strip mall right beside. Two mini highrise apartment buildings and something like a London Drugs on the ground would work wonders.

• Nparker, jonny and grantpalin like this

#416 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

That's right, asstra.

Capital Park has a great head start as there are already thousands of residents in the direct vicinity of the development.

#417 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

That's right, asstra.

Capital Park has a great head start as there are already thousands of residents in the direct vicinity of the development.

Hmmm...I quess spell check corrected that when you weren't looking. :badpc:

#418 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

The odds of that happening must be asstronomical.

#419 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

Phase 2 demolition has started

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#420 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

The odds of that happening must be asstronomical.

A catsasstrophy.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users