BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#541 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

I heard from London Drugs they may start enforcing "if you walk of the lot" type of enforcement.

So those businesses PAY the premium of leasing in a location that provides free parking for customers and you tell your customers to take up their customers parking spots.

CLASSY.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#542 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

Welcome to the Capital Park-ing thread.

• Matt R. likes this

#543 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

Oh come on Marker... You have to agree that telling your customers to use the free parking that other businesses PAY a premium to.

I would rather take the screen shot I have of this conversation and send it to the building owner. I would rather everyone pay then have someone screw the system.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#544 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

There was a parking lot in White Rock in which people had to shop at the stores whose parking lot they were in. They had roving patrols that would actually follow you.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#545 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

^same at the Capital Iron lot. When it's busy they have folks standing at the entrance and exit asking you where you plan to go after ditching your car. Lots of folks stare at them without knowing what to say and they're asked to leave the lot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#546 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

Welcome to the world of managing a publicly accessible parking lot in the downtown core of a major centre, where if you offer it for free, folks will always try to game the system.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#547 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

So can someone give me a quick overview of this project?

Some ministry staff moved in?

Some rental residents moved in, or a move-in date released?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#548 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Residential move-ins start this month, no? And office move-ins were to have started already.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#549 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

Some but not all of the MCFD and MOE staff that are to move into the building are already there. More moving in the next weeks and months. Still some finishing work happening in basement/parking area and finishing/furnishing happening on the work floors during the night.

Lots of minor teething issues among workers in the building. Complaints of insufficient light and "excellent" sound transmission between offices that are supposed to be private are the main ones.

#550 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

The library is announcing the new James Bay branch in Capital Park as opening in early 2018.

https://www.gvpl.ca/...h-in-james-bay/

Attached Images

• libary 1.jpg
  • library 2.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker and Bingo like this

#551 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

Phase 2 will be Ministry of Forests and Agriculture, moving in a couple of years. That will free up a lot of B space downtown. 780, 1520, 727, Vic theatre, Davidson, etc.
  • Mike K. likes this
"I know nothing"

#552 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:55 AM

Phase 2 will be Ministry of Forests and Agriculture, moving in a couple of years. That will free up a lot of B space downtown. 780, 1520, 727, Vic theatre, Davidson, etc.

My 1984 high school work experience was at the Ministry of Agriculture in the Vic Theatre Building. I never saw a single computer the whole time I was there. We had to enter the information on papyrus using a reed pen.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and nerka like this

#553 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

My 1984 high school work experience was at the Ministry of Agriculture in the Vic Theatre Building...

The "Vic Theatre Building" aka Nootka Court, is terrible office space. I worked there in 2 different spaces and what a hodge-podge mess it was. This would be a good candidate for conversion to residential in the manner of 595 Pandora.

#554 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

The Vic is one of our favourite theatres.

#555 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

And you know what, as these office buildings start losing tenants to newer digs that's exactly what might start happening. Ministry of Forests left 595 Pandora for Selkirk, and now they're leaving Selkirk for Capital Park (not that Selkirk will be re-dev'd into residential).

Know it all.

#556 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

I remember somewhere in the Nootka Court building in 1984 there was this massive machine that seemed to take up an entire room. You typed in a client's address and it stamped out the data on a metal plate that would be later used to put their contact info on any document that was mailed to someone using the Ministry of Agriculture's services, presumably farmers, I guess. I also remember entire floors filled with filing cabinets. I can't imagine how many floors of the old ministries could fit on a flash drive today.

Edited by Rob Randall, 20 October 2017 - 09:16 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#557 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

Selkirk is great, but it is the waterfront setting that is the draw and and helps with the pizazz. 

I think once Capital Park is finished it will have a much better feel, but I like what I see so far.

Ministry of Forests left 595 Pandora for Selkirk, and now they're leaving Selkirk for Capital Park (not that Selkirk will be re-dev'd into residential).

#558 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:44 AM

^I have to wonder what all these government office moves is costing taxpayers.  There is no need for government offices to relocate every 5 to 10 years.  I know improvements to get the Federal Government to take 3 floors at 595 Pandora for 5 years was $1 million, then they just upped and left

#559 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

Government is remaining at Selkirk. Just the environment folks have moved. Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development will take some of this space along with moving into Capital Park.

#560 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

^I have to wonder what all these government office moves is costing taxpayers.  There is no need for government offices to relocate every 5 to 10 years...

The government offices at Nootka Court have been there much longer than 5-10 years. I first worked there in 1995 and the offices weren't new then.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users