Float House Victoria

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Do you remember the movie "Altered States"? :P

There is a Float House in Gastown and at least from reviews on Yelp, it seems to be a pretty cool experience - a lot of prep work though.

http://www.floathouse.ca/

http://www.yelp.ca/b...house-vancouver

I grabbed this photo of their soon to be opened location in the 600 block of Herald St.

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

Open winter 2013 - it's over six months late already

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

^ Winter is in May?

#4 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Open winter 2013 - it's over six months late already

Winter 2013 does not arrive until mid-December, a couple of months from now (we're still in Fall, hence the balmy weather).

jbw

#5 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Umm...ok. I will try anything once. What happens if you fall asleep?

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

If no one knows about a float tank the idea that is that it's supposed to block all external stimuli in order to induce you into a very relaxed and sometimes altered state. The chamber is pitch black and filled with just enough water to elevate your body so you're not touching the bottom. The water is comprised of ~800lbs of salt to keep you afloat and to keep the water clean. The temperature of the water is equal to the temperature of your skin so you're not supposed to feel the water at all.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Winter 2013 was January 2013 through March 2013.

These folks probably mean Winter 2014.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

this sounds like the sensory deprivation experiments I participated in at the University of Manitoba in the 60s. paid $35/session as I recall. rumour was that they were funded by the CIA.

#9 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

Winter 2013 was January 2013 through March 2013.

These folks probably mean Winter 2014.

I agree winters first full day is Dec 22 meaning there are less than 10 days of winter in Dec 2013 making it winter 2014

#10 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

But if June 21st is Midsummer Night's Eve, then doesn't that make Dec 21 Midwinter?

Never understood that?:confused:
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#11 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

It's great to see an innovative new business open in the north end of downtown

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

Winter 2013 does not arrive until mid-December, a couple of months from now (we're still in Fall, hence the balmy weather).

The first day of Winter 2013 was last January 1st. If you signed up for a few bonus days of Winter 2013, those will be available this coming December on the 21st. :redface:

#13 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

Ok everone is wong in regard to the first day of winter including me.
I looked into it and this is how it works.

It is not January first either as posted above.

The first day of winter is defined as winter solstice.
This is the day when the sun is the furthest south over the tropic of Capricorn.

In 2013 this happens on Dec 21 2013 at 5:04 am Pst

The sun is farther south on Dec 21 more south than on any January 1

SO the upcoming winter starts on Dec 21 2013 and is referred to as the Winter of 2013 last January 1 it was still the winter of 2012

The sign is therefore correct

Case Closed

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

^IYHO maybe.

Last winter was winter 2012/2013, this winter will be winter 2013/2014.

We have spring, summer, and fall occurring in a year, winter spans two different years.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hasn't this type of business come and gone in Victoria before? I believe so.

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Yes, it was the early eighties. I forget where it was located, but a friend went there regularly. He said he used to wear a condom.

#17 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

I didn't think it was that kind of place (though "couples" floatation sessions were available). Few germs can survive so high a salt concentration (it's close to 'saturated' to get the floating effect). Dilute warm saltwater rinsing is a proven antiseptic.

Victoria's earlier version was in Fairfield, with similar design chambers (unlike the 'room sized' variations seen in some places) but I don't think it lasted more than about three years at something like $15/visit back for up to an hour's session. The dollar was worth a lot more back in the eighties. Even pennies had value, now they're just useful to have at hand to make the most of the 'rounding' to the nearest nickel bit at merchants.

jbw

ps. Ventilation is limited inside the chambers, I'd wonder about a downtown location being quiet enough without substantial effort involved (at least out in a suburb like Fairfield you've less heavy truck and bus and construction street rumble to contend with). The first visit or two had the most impact when I tried it, the effect diminished with repeat visits (I'd wonder if that's the common experience of most users). An interesting albeit time/money costly alternative to sitting and meditating.

editted to add: On further reflection, I believe the earlier Fairfield one had two or three tanks, one was definitely 'couple' sized (might even make for an interesting 'first date' experience, I'd hope for better ventilation than the single units), and the rates were $24-$25/visit (per person) with discounts ranging up to 10/$125 or $150. I'm pretty sure I went only three or four times in total (stopped going because I was getting progressively less out of the experience).

#18 Float House Victoria

Float House Victoria
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hey Everyone! Thanks for taking interest in our new float centre. We will be open mid to late December 2013 ... hence the "Winter 2013". Sorry for the confusion. If you would like any more information on our facility or questions about floating in general - please don't hesitate to ask!!

EDIT: We wil have 6 cutting edge float tanks - which offer superior ventilation and soundproofing. We are also constructing our centre with complete sensory deprivation in mind ... solid walls and lots of sound proofing insulation - so you shouldn't hear any traffic or other noises!
Float House Victoria
Sensory Deprivation & Floatation
662 Herald St.
Victoria, BC
V8W 1S7
www.floathouse.ca

#19 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Welcome to the forum FHV.

#20 Float House Victoria

Float House Victoria
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

Welcome to the forum FHV.

Thanks Sparky!
Float House Victoria
Sensory Deprivation & Floatation
662 Herald St.
Victoria, BC
V8W 1S7
www.floathouse.ca

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users