2014 Municipal Elections general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1257 replies to this topic

#1 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

Anything going around about the next municipal election? Notables running for seats? Incumbents choosing to step down?

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria John M.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

It's still a little early to hear much in that regard, but I think the following are likely being mulled in some circles:

- will Frank Leonard face another round of competition?
- will a City of Victoria councillor run against Mayor Fortin?
- will the Amalgamation Yes folk garner enough support to force a question on amalgamation during the election?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for having me Sparky. Anyway, I've heard news going around that some are, how should I say it? "Advocating" for Lana Popham to run against Leonard. There's no doubt that would be strong competition, possibly even stronger the Cubberley was.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

I agree, Popham would pose the biggest threat to Leonard. Cubberley didn't stand a chance.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

I would like a "deer cull" referendum question on the ballot. Yes or no. No more studies or debate. Cull them as cheaply and quickly as possible.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

- will a City of Victoria councillor run against Mayor Fortin?

I don't think there will be a serious challenger because:

-The most electable candidates (Thornton-Joe, Madoff) are too closely aligned with Fortin to want to battle against him.

-Ben Isitt would love to sit in the mayor's chair but isn't anxious to risk his safe councillor's seat.

-I doubt anyone on Council wants to be mayor as the bridge and sewer construction projects get underway. I think everyone will be content to let Fortin take the heat for any problems and cost overruns. Right now people are reasonably satisfied with Fortin and that's not enough to topple an incumbent.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

Lana Popham had her eye on municipal politics before she changed her mind and threw her hat in the provincial ring.

I know of a person that contributed to her campaign fund to run for council. When she changed her course to sign on with the NDP, he asked for his money back.

#9 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

For this week's CoV GPC meeting, Councillor Alto has proposed that a non-binding amalgamation question "to reduce the number of municipalities in greater Victoria" be added to the ballot.

#10 AmalgamationYes

AmalgamationYes
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

The Municipal Election for Greater Victoria's 13 governments is 11 months and 16 days from today - Nov. 15, 2014.  We will elect 91 representatives for 13 municipalities to represent a population of 360,000 people.  Reduce governance, sign the petition - visit http://amalgamationyes.blogspot.ca/ or www.amalgamationyes.ca if you prefer to sign in person Amalgamation Yes info centre is open Wed. & Saturday afternoons 577 Pembroke St.  

@AmalgamationYes
Facebook
www.amalgamationyes.ca
amalgamateyes@gmail.com
Petition

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

Lana Popham had her eye on municipal politics before she changed her mind and threw her hat in the provincial ring.

I know of a person that contributed to her campaign fund to run for council. When she changed her course to sign on with the NDP, he asked for his money back.

She has to remain in Provincial office 2 more years before she can get her pension. 0% chance she gives up that to run against Leonard.

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

She has to remain in Provincial office 2 more years before she can get her pension. 0% chance she gives up that to run against Leonard.

:)

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

Councillor Lisa Helps has announced she will be running for Mayor of Victoria (geez, can you believe it's 2014 already?!)

Know it all.

#14 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Councillor Lisa Helps has announced she will be running for Mayor of Victoria (geez, can you believe it's 2014 already?!)

It's good to see there will be a strong contest this time around compared to 2011... I think that's healthy.

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

Here's the TC article on it:

http://www.timescolo...-s-job-1.776100

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#16 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

She's up against the Dean Team (aka the whole NDP machine with union funding) lets hope she can make local partisan politics a municipal issue. Interesting reading Deans year-end interview where he says downtown is doing very well....guess he hasn't taken a walk around and counted the number of empty storefronts....what else would he say after so many years of his 'leadership'? :whyme:

• Mixed365 likes this

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

That is too bad in some ways because if Helps doesn't win, we will be without her voice on Council. Same thing happened a number of years ago when Geoff Young ran.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

^ Agree...

I was pleased to see Fortin talking about the right topics in his interview, at least.  I'm not convinced downtown is exactly in terrible shape.  Sure there are some empty storefronts; there are also a bunch of new ones, many of them a lot more cosmopolitan than the ones that closed.  And he is correct that there is a lot of new building, and more in the pipe.  Beyond his bridge fiasco, which I am pretty bitter about, someone is going to have to step in who has some pretty solid ideas about where to take the city in order to beat Fortin.  

Lisa Helps seems reasonable, but micro lending and youth poet laureates don't strike me as quite the calibre initiatives we are after.  Unless I hear a lot more, I wouldn't vote for her over Fortin.   

#19 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

The bridge fiasco is a massive one. There are signs that this council seems to have finally clued in that the key to the continued revitalization of downtown is building up a larger base of downtown residents.

Still, I can’t help but feel that any progress or improvement downtown has been accomplished in the face of massive headwinds originating primarily from City Hall. There are still too many money wasting social experiment pet projects, not enough of a focus on minimizing tax increases and too much fear of change and growth.

• Nparker likes this

#20 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

Yes but who will lead the charge to reduce those headwinds? Not sure it'll be Helps. Her major complaint seems to be that council is inefficient and partisan. Not a very viable platform in my opinion.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users