1257 replies to this topic

#241 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Say what?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#242 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Generalizations tell you nothing about a politician. I agree that they have their place, but I won't vote for someone who tells me they will "Create a spirit on entrepreneurship" without giving me any idea as to how

True but you would definitely vote against someone who had a strong opinion on a policy you disagreed with. Every time a politician states a policy they start to carve off a part of their voter base. Make enough statements and you don't have anyone left. Like or it or not we have created an environment for ourselves in that "creating a spirit of entrepreurship" gets people elected.

#243 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

So why not describe in detail how you plan to achieve that and what the end result would look like?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#244 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

The Chamber says today they are not endorsing anyone.  Not even sure how this news story got started.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#245 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

So was there even an event last night?

#246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

The Chamber says today they are not endorsing anyone.  Not even sure how this news story got started.

http://www.cfax1070....andidates-for-m

GV Chamber of Commerce to endorse candidates for mayor and council

July 29, 2014 08:09 from Rob Freeman - CFAX

The Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce says it's going to endorse a slate of candidates for mayor and council in Victoria for the civic elections coming up this fall.

A launch event has been set up for Thursday night when the candidates will be unveiled.

No names have been confirmed but the popular rumour is former Liberal MLA and cabinet minister Ida Chong will be the mayoral candidate.

The Chamber also says this campaign will be run like a business with a 'laser focus on winning'.

Know it all.

#247 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Well, today's CFAX News story says the opposite.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#248 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

This is from an email I received earlier today from the GVCC in response to my question about the matter:

Municipal Elections-draft

The Chamber’s Our Vibrant Community initiative has a number of components including policy developing and encouraging involvement in the political process. The Chamber has been much more active this election cycle in encouraging involvement in the political process. There has been a lot of outreach to encourage people to get more involved.

The Chamber also sponsored the Manning Centre to conduct training. The training was attended by a number of interested folk some of who have indicated they will be seeking election in the fall. There many who would say that the candidates that attended represented the right, left, NDP, Liberal, Green party etc. The Chamber conducted this training and subsidized the cost on behalf of the community and as a non-Partisan organization is not concerned with the categorizations that are common place.

The Chamber will remain non-partisan and will not endorse candidates or a group of candidates. We will continue to work on policy issues and comment on the issues under discussion and work to promote issues we feel benefit the economic strength of the community.

The Chamber as an organization is non-partisan but this does not limit the individual members or directors from taking an active and potentially partisan role in the election. It has been common to say “Oh this person is working on this person’s campaign,” so that must be “The Chamber Candidate.” Such a statement would be incorrect. Chamber members and directors are active members of their community and are in involved in a wide variety of community activities including political campaigns. As of this date, we know that we have former or current board members working to support every one of the declared and rumoured mayoral candidates in the City of Victoria.

The Chamber will remain non-partisan and will continue to promote policies and positions to the benefit of our community.

#249 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

^ the Chamber needs grammar/spelling lessons.

#250 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

^^ Sounds like Ida said no and the business community is back to square one.
  • Nparker likes this

#251 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Is that just an assumption or has she actually declined?

Know it all.

#252 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Ha! Gentlemen, I present to you another shining example of the business community's unsinkable action plan!

So was this C-FAX's screw up? Or a Chamber member gone rogue? Sounds like one or more individuals associated with the Chamber were rounding up a slate and this was interpreted by reporter Rob Freeman as an official slate.

Square one? It's freaking August and they're scrambling to recruit a warm body when voting day is only four months away? A credible candidate has to have a campaign up and running by summer so they can be visible schmoozing at all the critical public events (Pride, Paint-In, Symphony Splash etc. etc.)

Ask Rob Reid what happens when you announce your candidacy late in mid September.

Edited by Holden West, 01 August 2014 - 03:37 PM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#253 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

She can't win anyway, the "business community" ought to be smarter than to drag out a Liberal in NDP Ground Zero territory.  We need a high-profile less partisan person.  Heck, the business community would be better off trying to convince Geoff Young to run for mayor, he scored the highest council vote total last election.

#254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

What the business community should do is convince Isitt to run for mayor.

Then, and only then, a guy like Young has a chance.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#255 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

She can't win anyway, the "business community" ought to be smarter than to drag out a Liberal in NDP Ground Zero territory.  We need a high-profile less partisan person.

Yeah, that this ever got traction baffled me. She wasn't liked nearly as much as former MLA Sheila Orr.

Heck, the business community would be better off trying to convince Geoff Young to run for mayor, he scored the highest council vote total last election.

Geoff quit his council seat to run for mayor and lost. I doubt he'll make that mistake again unless a huge door opened--like one or both of the current frontrunners suddenly dropping out.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#256 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

She can't win anyway, the "business community" ought to be smarter than to drag out a Liberal in NDP Ground Zero territory.  We need a high-profile less partisan person.  Heck, the business community would be better off trying to convince Geoff Young to run for mayor, he scored the highest council vote total last election.

The business community wants a Mayor who will do what he/she is told. I give enough credit to Geoff and Ben that they would see through that and stick to their own principles.

The business community has been trying to months to field a slate. The reason Rob ran in September was that he was like the 3rd attempt after the first two flaked out.

#257 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:14 AM

You really think the business community is some evil backroom consortium? Knowing some of this "business community" what they want is a balance of opinion not a puppet they can direct from the shadows. They have more important things to do than to micro manage someone.
  • Hotel Mike likes this

Know it all.

#258 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

I'm having trouble seeing how Fortin is different from a "business" candidate. On all the major issues he has had the same position as them. Ie the bridge and seage.

#259 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:47 AM

I think its the council they're after. Fortin is indeed pretty pragmatic.

I still think he should step down though over the bridge project. He's becoming so controversial over his incessant promises of a bridge "on time and on budget" that he'll lead to far more controversy over the next candidacy than necessary. Just let someone else in to fix the problem instead of backpedaling on broken promises.

From what I've heard this term will be Fortin's last if he gets reelected.

Know it all.

#260 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Has Shellie Gudgeon announced if she's running again, or has she dropped the speed bomb on us and is running away?  I know on the radio recently she said she hadn't made up her mind yet. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users