2014 Municipal Elections general discussion

• Please log in to reply
1257 replies to this topic

#321 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

http://www.mayorofesquimalt.com/

Scott Attrill, running for mayor of Esquimalt. He claims that his core values come from Buddha and Ayn Rand.

How is that even possible?

Edited by Nparker, 29 August 2014 - 02:14 PM.

• Holden West, AndrewReeve, John M. and 1 other like this

#322 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

To be fair, someone like this in Greater Victoria was bound to come along. If you read his policy sheets, values and such, he comes off as a Rob Ford/Stop the Gravy Train/Tea Party type.

#323 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

To be fair, someone like this in Greater Victoria was bound to come along. If you read his policy sheets, values and such, he comes off as a Rob Ford/Stop the Gravy Train/Tea Party type.

True. He'll be popular with Joe Lunchbucket. Desjardin is having a good year politically. It will be next to impossible to topple her.

Ayn Rand...brrr. Do adults still read her. She loudly protested the existence of Social Security...until she got old and needed it herself and applied.

• Nparker likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

You need to push a little deeper into Rand's reasoning behind taking social security. She took it because it was owed to her.

Her entire philosophy is about keeping what is yours and taking what is yours, not redistributing wealth because someone else feels it is only fair. So because she was forced to give, she then took when the opportunity presented itself. Fair? Fair.

As the saying goes, America provides you with the pursuit of happiness. ...but America doesn't guarantee your pursuit will ever bring you the pleasure and satisfaction you seek.

:)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#325 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

^Perhaps, but the important point is that Rand found herself in poor health and low on cash and had no-where else to turn. "Screw The Other Guy" isn't a valid moral "core value" for anyone, let alone someone running for mayor.

• Nparker likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#326 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

I consider myself fairly libertarian, but the Ayn Rand crowd is still a bit much for me 

#327 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

^Perhaps, but the important point is that Rand found herself in poor health and low on cash and had no-where else to turn. "Screw The Other Guy" isn't a valid moral "core value" for anyone, let alone someone running for mayor.

That's just an urban myth. In fact it's so pervasive, the myth that she had no money to live on and needed social security, that it's difficult to find sources that set the record straight.

Although she wasn't rich, she had more than enough money to live out her years without government subsidy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#328 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

My guess is, by not understanding what either one promoted.

• Nparker and John M. like this
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#329 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

That's just an urban myth. In fact it's so pervasive, the myth that she had no money to live on and needed social security, that it's difficult to find sources that set the record straight.

Although she wasn't rich, she had more than enough money to live out her years without government subsidy.

The consensus from those that knew Ayn Rand in her final years is that the people that cared for her became concerned as her income dropped and that she was a few big doctor bills away from being "wiped out" financially. After much persuasion Rand finally agreed to apply for Medicaid and SS. Testimony from her inner circle doesn't suggest she took the benefits symbolically or to prove any point. The only worthwhile point to take from all this is that the safety net was there to take care of her in a time of need. Of course this aspect is lost on Esquimalt's Attrill. 

In other news:

Victoria city council candidate Riga Godron is considering abandoning her campaign; her three-year-old’s school-based daycare has been cancelled, as has her two older children’s out-of-school care. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.xMwE5PpS.dpuf

#330 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

At the time of her death she was working on a screenplay deal for Atlas and had several hundred thousand dollars in her personal savings account not to mention her late husband may have left her quite a bit of cash.

Besides that, how many poor people have a foundation created in their name? She was doing alright, despite the entrenched myths. Occams razor, right? But considering how disliked her theories were it's no wonder the myths prevailed.

Know it all.

#331 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

Why is Victoria City Council lowering speed limits in the face of all evidence to the contrary and the Mayor's own statement that speeding "hasn't been an issue?" 

Here's my take on this bizarre situation:

Speeding “hasn't been an issue” in Victoria. That's what Mayor Dean Fortin admitted in August, as he tried to defend the expenditure of nearly $90,000 of our money, to combat a problem that doesn't exist.

As I detailed back in July, several months ago the paid professionals of our city staff concluded that there was “no technical data to support the reduction in speed limits.” Council decided to ignore the facts in spite of the scientific evidence, opposition from the Victoria Police Department, the recommendations of their employed experts, and overall common sense. While a majority of those members of the public who spoke at the July 17th council meeting appeared to be in favour of lowering speed limits, the amount of correspondence received by City Hall in opposition to the reduction far outweighed the proponents. Apparently the current council finds it far easier to ignore a stack of letters and emails than a few out-spoken advocates in council chambers, and this is precisely the problem. While some had expressed hesitance or opposition to the proposal beforehand, they all caved and voted in favour during the session. In short, the “City Hall Bubble” got to them.

Those who wrote to City Hall in great numbers were the average citizens, caught off guard by the likelihood that a backwards policy flying in the face of all evidence was going to pass in our municipality. These were Victorians with families and friends to be with on a beautiful summer evening, not sweating in the humid council chambers that particular Thursday night. It's not council's fault that three hour long July committee meetings are not particularly engaging to the general public. However, it is their fault when they fail to realize that those who do attend are not representative of your average Victorian. With most of our current council having served multiple terms, it is easy to see how the “City Hall Bubble” had them thinking that the majority of citizens are in favour of a reduction in speed limits. After all, they need only consider the many passionate complaints voiced at that very meeting to see there is general dissatisfaction, right? As any pollster worth his or her salt will tell you, those who regularly attend committee meetings are not a representative sample of the populace. Yet, our council seems to have forgotten this basic fact. Politics, not ignorance, is why they unanimously supported the motion over the facts. They believed that with such great support in the chamber right in front of them, going against it could cost them their jobs in the upcoming November election.

Edited by AndrewReeve, 08 September 2014 - 05:45 PM.

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#332 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

Why is Victoria City Council lowering speed limits in the face of all evidence to the contrary and the Mayor's own statement that speeding "hasn't been an issue?" 

Here's my take on this bizarre situation:

AndrewReeve - there is an entire thread for that discussion. Lets keep this thread for juicy gossip specifically related to November's election. 

http://vibrantvictor...l=+speed +limit

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#333 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

Thanks Mixed36, I appreciate you trying to keep this thread free of off-topic spam. However, the Speed Limit discussion you linked to is within the infrastructure subforum and my article directly pertains to the politics of the decision and uses it as an example for why our current city council has the wrong priorities.

I'd say it is far more relevant to the November elections here in Victoria than the lengthy discussion of Ayn Rand just above our most recent posts! 

• rjag and John M. like this

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#334 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:52 PM

Good read, Andrew. 

You're right, public hearings shouldn't be held on a Thursday night in the middle of July.  Unless of course all you want to hear from are the "community advocates". 

I watched that hearing. One gentleman stood up and explained how many of the people he knows are against the proposal but were unable to attend because they were either tied up with work, family or away.  It was also interesting to see that the only "social media" feedback the city used was its own Facebook and Twitter pages.  Nowhere to be found were the dozens, if not hundreds of comments on news and other social media sites opposing the motion. 

• AndrewReeve likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#335 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

This issue revolves around how we want to feel, not if it is right or wrong. I was not at the meeting, but we did a podcast the next day where Lisa Helps reported on the experience of having a full council chamber (doesn't happen often) and how the room changed how she felt about the vote. Her report was that the separate communities wanted people slowing down as they passed through their communities. As mentioned, there didn't seem to be any empirical evidence to suggest that 50 kph was safer, than 40, just a feeling.

This might be the problem with voted officials, they seem unable to tell someone to take a leap when need be. The local communities seemed to want to feel safer by slowing traffic down and they got what they wanted.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#336 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Just a feeling?

Politics shouldn't be about feelings, it should be about empirical data and pragmatism. Unfortunately these feelings just contribute to the high cost of living in this area which none of our elected officials seem to care about. Good grief, Victoria.

• sebberry and tedward like this

Know it all.

#337 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

In this example, about 60% of those who attended were in favor.  In various other news and media outlets, the feedback was far, far different.

Council chose to limit itself to consider the feedback from only those who attended that one public feedback session on a hot Thursday July night.  Furthermore, council had already made up their minds before the "public consultation" by voting unanimously in favor of the plan at every opportunity prior. 

With no further consultation from any other stakeholder or professional, council then made their decision that night.  I'm willing to bet Shellie Gudgeon's talking points and "research" were lifted straight from the CARS facebook page. 

But when you hold a certain position, it only takes a few people to agree with you before you feel the whole world has your back.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Outside of the CARS group and the public hearing NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY seems to be in favour of this nonsense. We can't afford to below $100k on frivolous things based on feelings.

This is ludicrous!

Know it all.

#339 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

The feeling thing is hard to grasp. I was part of a discussion a few days ago and there was an overwhelming desire to elect someone you could like. I was the odd man out as I would prefer a very competent person who is an ass, than a nice incompetent person. But on your doorstep, do you want to hear from a politician that your needs aren't important at the moment and what they need to do is fix 5 things and then get back to the community stuff later. I would love to hear that, but the other 25% of the population that votes may not have such thick skin.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#340 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

It's a difficult cycle to break.  Do you focus on infrastructure maintenance and economic development, or do you listen to small special interest groups and pander to them instead? 

Because the people begging you to lower speed limits probably have no idea that the water pipes supplying their roads are 100 years old. 

As a council member on my strata, I see the same stuff here in my building, just on a much smaller scale. 

• Nparker, AndrewReeve and John M. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users