Photo

Friends of Bears | Victoria | Douglas at Yates (Closed in 2015)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

"Lunch Kit" has been sold and the new owners have rejigged the place into Friends of Bears, a little eatery focusing on house-made food made from scratch.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Considering the connotation "bears" has in some segments of society, I am wondering if this establishment is prepared for the clientele who may have a different idea of what is being offered at this location? :P

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Considering the connotation "bears" has in some segments of society

Flying Beaver seems to do OK.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

What else could that possibly be other than a place for airplane pilots? :confused:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

Otter... Flying Otter! :)

Yes is does do quite well. Go there for lunch on Sundays a lot. Good food and cheap beer.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

http://www.urbanspoo...m/m/r/14/180639

They have a Beaver in Richmond.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

Not sure about the story behind the name but the branding ties into the Oddfellows organization across the street. The restaurant is like a little fraternity inside.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Is it geared toward's gay men of a certain size?, is it GLTB owned??

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

It's a husband-wife team I'm pretty sure.

It looks like someone from FOB has registered an account on VV as of this morning so perhaps we'll get the scoop pretty soon.

Know it all.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

The real question is how you took a shot of that window head on without being seen in the reflection. Perhaps you are a vampire.

#11 Friends of Bears

Friends of Bears
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Considering the connotation "bears" has in some segments of society, I am wondering if this establishment is prepared for the clientele who may have a different idea of what is being offered at this location? :P

Hi Nparker, we thought of that particular connotation shortly after we thought of our name and decided to go ahead with it. We're not gay but have no problems with any segment of society. The name came to me in the same way one writes music or lyrics or creates anything. We made a long list that became shorter and shorter until nothing stuck more than Friends of Bears. We're more than cool with the unintentional nod to a part of the gay community and don't anticipate any undue expectations of what is being offered at this location. But, thank you for being the first to bring this up! Please come by the cafe and introduce yourself. Your Lunch is on me! -Colin

#12 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

I love the name and the logo. I have no idea what food is made but there's something appealing about it all.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Welcome to the forum FOB/Colin!

#14 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

The Lunch Kit was fantastic. Is it the same ownership?

Matt.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

Hi Nparker, we thought of that particular connotation shortly after we thought of our name and decided to go ahead with it...thank you for being the first to bring this up! Please come by the cafe and introduce yourself. Your Lunch is on me! -Colin

Thank you Colin. I intended no mockery in your choice of name, in fact I find it rather intriguing. I will certainly stop in at some point to sample your menu even if I have to pay. :)

#16 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:34 AM

^ while I appreciate your apology... I found your comment slightly childish and insulting. Why does everything have to have a "gay" under current or meaning? For me having to have said that means you to have some type of issue. My feelings I know, but still.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#17 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

The real question is how you took a shot of that window head on without being seen in the reflection. Perhaps you are a vampire.

Seems unlikely, but still....

Suggestion: hang garlic around your windows and doors and neck. Carry a wooden stake (discreetly of course), some holy water and of course, a christian cross. Be especially careful when going out during a full moon but even more so when the moon's in full recession. You should be able to relax during sunny days.

jbw

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

Just guessing here, but if the connotation hadn't been brought up I'm pretty sure the majority of those on the forum wouldn't have known anything about it.

Well at least I didn't, my first thought was it was some eco minded/PETA sort of thing.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19 Friends of Bears

Friends of Bears
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

I love the name and the logo. I have no idea what food is made but there's something appealing about it all.

Quality homemade soups and sandwiches, in house roasted meats, gourmet protein salads and specialty coffee.

#20 Friends of Bears

Friends of Bears
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

The Lunch Kit was fantastic. Is it the same ownership?

Matt.

Yes, same ownership! You can get all of your lunch kit favorites plus some new menu items. Thanks for the props!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users