Photo

Friends of Bears | Victoria | Douglas at Yates (Closed in 2015)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Friends of Bears

Friends of Bears
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Thank you Colin. I intended no mockery in your choice of name, in fact I find it rather intriguing. I will certainly stop in at some point to sample your menu even if I have to pay. :)

Thanks Nparker, I truly appreciate the interest. My offer stands, see you whenever you get a chance to swing by. Cheers!

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

Just guessing here, but if the connotation hadn't been brought up I'm pretty sure the majority of those on the forum wouldn't have known anything about it.

Yup, I had to urban dictionary it, and I've been around.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Seriously? Didn't know what a gay bear was? I don't buy it.

Are you still doing catering? My wife has her shop catered from time to time, I hear they love it. I've been for lunch when I'm in town and love the hot roast beef sandwich.

Might have to stop in next time I'm over!

Matt.

#24 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Expensive but delicious! If everything was a few bucks cheaper I'd add it to my lunch routine but I try to keep it under 7 these days. Really good sandwich though!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#25 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

Not sure about the story behind the name but the branding ties into the Oddfellows organization across the street. The restaurant is like a little fraternity inside.

You've got me stumped here. Where do you see a brand link to the Oddfellows? The brand - i.e. logo - for the latter is three links of chain. I don't see the connection to bears.
Pieta VanDyke

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

The branding inside the space pays homage to fraternities. You'll see what I mean when you drop in.

Colin, I thought you purchased the business from the lunch kit folks earlier in the year?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Friends of Bears

Friends of Bears
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

Seriously? Didn't know what a gay bear was? I don't buy it.

Are you still doing catering? My wife has her shop catered from time to time, I hear they love it. I've been for lunch when I'm in town and love the hot roast beef sandwich.

Might have to stop in next time I'm over!

Matt.

Yes, we still do catering. Thanks for asking!

#28 Friends of Bears

Friends of Bears
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

The branding inside the space pays homage to fraternities. You'll see what I mean when you drop in.

Colin, I thought you purchased the business from the lunch kit folks earlier in the year?

That's right. We purchased it in May, added the espresso bar and a few new gourmet sandwiches as well as many new homemade soups. It wasn't until recently that we got a makeover and changed the name to Friends of Bears.

#29 Friends of Bears

Friends of Bears
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Expensive but delicious! If everything was a few bucks cheaper I'd add it to my lunch routine but I try to keep it under 7 these days. Really good sandwich though!

Hey Baro, you can get a quality bowl of soup with a parmesan crostini for 6.56!

• Baro likes this

#30 drt

drt
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I want to hate this place because of the goofy name and ridiculous "Brotherhood. Sisterhood. Neighborhood." wall-hang (sorry Friends of Bears, but it skews a little hippie/hipster for my taste. I prefer my restaurants to be closer to the Soup Nazi side of things), but the soups are pretty good. Sandwiches I could take or leave though. They always seem to have one ingredient too many.

#31 tylerforesthauser

tylerforesthauser
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ate here for the first time today and I am definitely impressed. Had the Roast Beef hot sandwich and roasted tomato soup... I'm still basking in the deliciousness. I will surely return and see what else they have to offer.

Is there a website, Facebook or Twitter?

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

Always suspicious of first posts like this^.
  • Matt R. and tylerforesthauser like this

#33 tylerforesthauser

tylerforesthauser
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

What's wrong with this post? I legitimately want to know if they have some sort of info anywhere. They don't even have hours posted on their windows.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

Ate here for the first time today and I am definitely impressed. Had the Roast Beef hot sandwich and roasted tomato soup... I'm still basking in the deliciousness. I will surely return and see what else they have to offer.

Is there a website, Facebook or Twitter?

https://www.facebook...cheeseburgesoup

• tylerforesthauser likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 tylerforesthauser

tylerforesthauser
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

https://www.facebook...cheeseburgesoup

Thank you very much!

#36 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

This restaurant's name reminds me of a small place on Johnson Street, between Broad and Government (I think), in the 1990s, that I swear was called Friends of Dorothy. Anybody else remember it?

#37 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

This restaurant's name reminds me of a small place on Johnson Street, between Broad and Government (I think), in the 1990s, that I swear was called Friends of Dorothy. Anybody else remember it?

It was where the "Skinnytato" Polish restaurant is now. Remember it but never went

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

OK, everyone, see ya there on Tuesday!

Yay so we've reached past 150 likes! Free soup day is this TUESDAY!! Bring your friends and family. We'll be giving away a free cup of homemade soup to every customer.  You must try the soup!! SO Delicious!! 'Like a warm blanket' on a miserable cold day! Hope to see you there!
Friends of Bears https://www.facebook...cheeseburgesoup

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:44 AM

As reported in the Food Services Comings and Goings thread, Friends of Bears has now closed. It's been replaced by an eatery called Mexi-Cali.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

A B.C. conservation officer is furious after being forced to euthanize nine bears in a week in the Revelstoke area, after warnings to reduce habituation have fallen on some residents' deaf ears — and he fears this could just be the beginning.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...illed-1.3731591

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users