Photo

Greater Victoria Waterfront Homes

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Flamesfan

Flamesfan
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

I'm new to victoria but can't understand why the Rock Bay Area isn't re-zoned, seems like it would help create water front homes in  the selkirk and boost home values in Vic West? Is there issues I'm not aware of in getting Lafarge and the car crushing place to move?

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm new to victoria but can't understand why the Rock Bay Area isn't re-zoned, seems like it would help create water front homes in  the selkirk and boost home values in Vic West? Is there issues I'm not aware of in getting Lafarge and the car crushing place to move?

Car crushing could be good for tourism if it were marketed properly. 

#23 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

That industry that needs to be on the waterfront because they use barges to move material in and out. There's already enough waterfront in the city that is residential in use anyways.

#24 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Ha HA, HAD TO DOUBLE-TAKE AT THAT PHOTO...

One of the problems with the upper-Gorge, or maybe the biggest problem is the reversing falls under the Tillicum bridge.  You can't take almost any boat through that except under exceptional high-tide circumstances.  I don't know why we don't we don't blow that thing out, or build the channel to portage to the other end into Esq. harbour.

I believe that has already been done, actually.  My recollection is that they blew up the rock in the river several decades ago and what was left behind was what we now call "reversing falls". 

Like the "refersing falls" in New Brunswick, which had the name first, it is a waterfall in name only and the best you could call it if you were constrained by the normal useage of the English langage, would be "reversing rapids", except at high tide it isn't even a "rapids". 

As it is caused by tidal drainage why don't we take care of the root problem and blow up the moon, which after all, is the main cause of tides on our planet?  We could make it into a nice Saturn like ring.

• Nparker likes this

#25 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

There was a rock blown up in the Gorge to make the passage under the bridge safer for boats.

You can actually go through in boats most of the time though not with large boats

#26 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

There was a rock blown up in the Gorge to make the passage under the bridge safer for boats.

I vaguely recall some media coverage at the time that referred to it as Victoria's own mini  Ripple rock.

This url shows a photo of the area as it was in the 1890's.  Rather different than it looks today.

https://www.flickr.c...157624266008972

#27 Flamesfan

Flamesfan
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

That industry that needs to be on the waterfront because they use barges to move material in and out. There's already enough waterfront in the city that is residential in use anyways.

Thanks Dylan, these type of industries do not require water front at all, they may utilize it but other major centers has them well away from water. There is nothing that can't be shipped by truck. The drive from blanchard to Vic West along Bay is a huge detraction, imagine the property value of those locations for town homes?!

#28 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

^ Welcome to vibrantvictoria Flamesfan.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thanks Dylan, these type of industries do not require water front at all, they may utilize it but other major centers has them well away from water. There is nothing that can't be shipped by truck. The drive from blanchard to Vic West along Bay is a huge detraction, imagine the property value of those locations for town homes?!

You also have to take into account the City of Victoria's tax base. Heavy industry pays a healthy sum to the city (much higher than residential taxes) and with waterfront access in/out the City of Victoria does not expend as high of an amount on maintaining industrial access roads as it would otherwise. Having industry on the water removes the need for thousands of heavy truck movements on a monthly basis.

If you're considering a property purchase somewhere along the industrial area of Bay Street hoping that it will convert to residential, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

You know, doing a scan of shoreline homes, it seems like almost every single house in View Royal on the water has a wharf.  But looking at all the brand new multi-million dollar homes on Hollywood Crescent, or Gordon Head, none have one.

I realize the calmness of the water is different.  But Oak Bay Beach Hotel has a wharf, why doesn't a nearby multi-million dollar home have one?  Seems poor to have a cool waterfront home, but not cool that you can't park your snazzy boat alongside, at least in summer.

Is there a difference in ownership of the shore area?  Or are water leases or whatever is required to have a wharf, different?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Don't know about the legal aspects, but there is *no way* I'd put a boat I care about alongside on the Hollywood Crescent waterfront.  The storms beat the cr*p out of the shoreline all winter and the afternoon westerlies in the summer are almost as bad.

Also, still with no knowledge of foreshore rights (beyond the knowledge that everything below the high tide line is public space), putting in a robust enough pier to survive those conditions and the tidal range would cost orders of magnitude more than plonking a little freshwater dock in, both materials and engineering costs.  Have a look at the docks on Piers Island next time you're heading for Tsawwassen.  They're built like fortresses because they have to be.

When I first moved here, with a lifetime of boating in the Great Lakes and the Caribbean, I was amazed at how unfriendly our waters are.  They're cold and will kill you quickly if you give them a chance.  It's much gentler in the inland lakes (and the Gorge).  But recreational users here have a much more cautious relationship with the sea than they do elsewhere.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

What about like a boat launch ramp?  Or some type of a chute to drop your boat down on nice days?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

That's starting to get incredibly expensive. Maintenance is also a major issue with docks. You gotta keep on it otherwise you'll run into trouble and a boat floating away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

Technically you need to lease the land below the high water mark from the Crown if you want to put in some sort of permanent structure. As far as I know enforcement is sparse, to say the least.

http://www.for.gov.b...rage/index.html

Everything below the high tide mark in BC is owned by the Crown (Province).

Technically you could hang out on the foreshore (land between high and low tide water marks ) adjacent to somebody's waterfront property and it wouldn't be trespassing because that land is Crown land.

Edited by jonny, 20 May 2014 - 12:42 PM.

• LocalMom likes this

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

That's starting to get incredibly expensive. Maintenance is also a major issue with docks. You gotta keep on it otherwise you'll run into trouble and a boat floating away.

But I'm talking about homes that are 3 or 4 or 10 times more expensive than the homes in View Royal, that all have wharfs.  Someting is funny here.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

Super calm waters in View Royal.

Know it all.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

For example, a four-lot subdivision application has been submitted for 1101 Beach Dr. in Oak Bay where a single-family house sits on 2.5 acres. The proposal is to keep the 1913 manor and build three additional houses on the waterfront property. It has not been approved.

The house was listed for sale at the same time. An offer for $6.2 million has been accepted and is due to close at the end of July, said listing agent Leslee Farrell, of Macdonald Realty. The sale price is the highest reported locally this year.

“Now under contract, the owners will wait to see what Oak Bay has to say. The new owner has no wish to subdivide anytime in the future,” Farrell said.

Oak Bay Mayor Nils Jensen said that last year, 23 houses were demolished or dismantled, and six were moved. The pace continues at a similar rate so far this year. “My concern is that we have a lot of well-built heritage houses. They add an ambience to our community that is unparalleled. I would certainly hate to see the loss of many of these homes.”

Jensen said one idea would be to permit additional density on a property in return for an owner agreeing to heritage designation on an original house.

Oak Bay has between 5,500 and 6,000 single-family houses, he said. Of those, 100 are on the heritage registry and another 29 are heritage-designated, which bestows a higher level of protection. Heritage properties are eligible for grants.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.FIE7MOzP.dpuf

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-03-31 12-13-41.jpg

#38 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

^ in that quote, that's the type of subdivision application that should be a no-brainer. Keep the original house, split 2.5 acres into 4, and build 3 more? Those are still huge lots of over half acre each!

#39 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

Want to have a look inside a couple of the nicest float homes at West Bay? Two three story float homes are included in the upcoming Art Gallery House Tour, coming up on Sept. 11. Six homes in total on this self guided tour. $35 tickets go on sale on August 20.
Pieta VanDyke

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

Thanks!

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users