Taxi / limo / car services

• Please log in to reply
472 replies to this topic

#341 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

The Uber question is one where I think we'll see a few court cases before things are completely settled. There are so many different scenarios, from the guy whose only job, 50 hours per week, is to drive people around using Uber to somebody else who does maybe 4 or 5 Uber rides a month to the airport just for a little bit of extra money.

And what about the guy that takes the car owner to work, when he drops his car off for service at the shop, at the beginning of the day.  Is he now taking a cab's job?  Hotel shuttle buses?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#342 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

Yes, the CRA cares deeply. Being self-employed or operating as a corporation can have / usually has significant tax advantages versus working as an employee.

If you are operating as a self-employed sole proprietor, you can deduct certain allowable business expenses which reduces your taxable income. There are almost no deductions for employees. If you are operating as a corporation, your tax rate will be much lower than employment income taxes, and of course you only pay taxes on your taxable income, after deducting expenses. Self-employed persons and of course corporations can also claim GST/HST input tax credits. Also, if you are self-employed, you may need to charge and remit GST.

Employees pay tax on all income above the basic personal exemption (11 G’s or so).

Not only that but there is generally no payment into CPP, EI or WCB by contractors or their employers.

#343 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

IIRC, self-employed persons need to pay the employer and employee portions of CPP.

#344 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

IIRC, self-employed persons need to pay the employer and employee portions of CPP.

And everyone does that!

#345 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

I am sure we have an Uber thread, but I couldn't find it. In any case, here's some news (that likely won't surprise anyone 2 months before an election)

Minister of Transportation Todd Stone along with Minister Responsible for Translink Peter Fassbender announced today in Vancouver that ride-sharing is now legal in British Columbia. This allows ride sharing applications such as Uber and Lyft to operate as an alternative to cab companies...The stipulation to this announcement is that the Liberal government must be re-elected to ensure that ride-sharing will come to the province.

http://www.cheknews....columbia-285509/

Edited by Nparker, 07 March 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#346 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

Only what, two years late?

#347 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

There should be a stipulation that the company needs to be profitable to get a license to operate.    Uber lost $2.8 billion dollars last year.   Not exactly fair for them to compete with companies that don't have billions of other people's money to burn through.   I'm all for innovation, but Uber is about as unethical of a company as they come.   

Edited by LeoVictoria, 07 March 2017 - 12:06 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#348 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

There should be a stipulation that the company needs to be profitable to get a license to operate.    Uber lost $2.8 billion dollars last year.   Not exactly fair for them to compete with companies that don't have billions of other people's money to burn through.   I'm all for innovation, but Uber is about as unethical of a company as they come.   

This would pretty much kill and new innovation/new business ideas though. Most new businesses are not immediately profitable.

• rjag and jonny like this

#349 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

This would pretty much kill and new innovation/new business ideas though. Most new businesses are not immediately profitable.

Sure, but still Uber is essentially a scam. Drivers earn starvation wages, the company bleeds money, and it puts taxi drivers out of business. Not sure what the solution is, likely to be a moot point since autonomous cars will shortly make both businesses obsolete

#350 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

This sounds like quite the nanny state...should the state should shut down coffee shops and bakeries that aren't currently turning a profit?

#351 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Not sure about a scam, been very pleased with my experiences

Competition is healthy, monopolies arent. Just look at the maple syrup cartel. Here we have a taxi cartel thats pi$$ed because theres a new kid on the block that can do it for less.

I've used Uber in a few cities in the US and taxis as well. The taxi drivers I've spoken with arent fussed as they maintained the rights to airport pickup, stands outside of major hotels, train stations etc. The uber cars I've used were way cleaner and better maintained than some of the cabs Ive been in. They rely on a rating system which forces them to keep their game up, cant say the same about cabs.

Anyway, not sure why leo is getting his knickers in a knot, as he says, its an industry about to disappear

Edited by rjag, 07 March 2017 - 04:17 PM.

• jonny likes this

#352 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

This sounds like quite the nanny state...should the state should shut down coffee shops and bakeries that aren't currently turning a profit?

perhaps teh state can control the number of coffee shops to ensure they are profitable, also maybe assign every citizen a ration book so that they dont overspend in one shop and have to use multiple in case one is better than the other....cant have a business do better than another business thats like white privilege...

• jonny likes this

#353 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

just listening to cknw and geogg meggs was expressing his outrage blah blah blah....then all the callers just dissing him about how out of touch he is and where was his concern about local bike shops when Vancouver was bringing in the bike rental program.

Other comments, this is like blockbuster and netflix, yellow pages and google etc.

Seems like not many folks are too happy at the government giving the taxi cartel 1 cent in subsidy, they should stand on their own, adapt or die......Darwinism at its best...

• sebberry likes this

#354 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

Sure, but still Uber is essentially a scam. Drivers earn starvation wages, the company bleeds money, and it puts taxi drivers out of business. Not sure what the solution is, likely to be a moot point since autonomous cars will shortly make both businesses obsolete

You know what's a scam?  People that ask their friends to pick them up at the ferry/airport.  That's how the vast majority of passengers without cars move to and away from those transport terminals.  I've NEVER paid my driver even a starvation wage to come get me or drop me off, in fact they have covered all the expense.  And I never worried about what might happen insurance/liability-wise if we got in an accident.  We have never been in one for my almost 50 years of existence.

Now, if a stranger with an Uber license, valid drivers license, insurance coverage and the app wants to come and get me and drive me home, at a rate of pay she knows well in advance, why should I, you, or the government care?

• Mike K., rjag, Matt R. and 2 others like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#355 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

Well i guess that according to Mayor Helps' and Robertsons' logic on pot shops being able to open since the Government is talking about regulating them, Uber and Lyft should immediately be allowed to open up shop here and in Vancouver!

It is very interesting that the NDP is siding with the cabbies here. The East Indian bloc brings an enormous amount of money and votes to the Liberal party in about a dozen ridings so the NDP must feel that they are close enough that this might swing the balance in their favour come election time.

#356 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

It is very interesting that the NDP is siding with the cabbies here. The East Indian bloc brings an enormous amount of money and votes to the Liberal party in about a dozen ridings so the NDP must feel that they are close enough that this might swing the balance in their favour come election time.

Indeed.  

Yes, the Liberals probably carefully calculated this through lots though.

#357 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

Ever heard of price dumping? Look it up.
  • http likes this

#358 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

Not sure about a scam, been very pleased with my experiences

Competition is healthy, monopolies arent. Just look at the maple syrup cartel. Here we have a taxi cartel thats pi$$ed because theres a new kid on the block that can do it for less.

[ snip ]

Anyway, not sure why leo is getting his knickers in a knot, as he says, its an industry about to disappear

[ snip ] Now, if a stranger with an Uber license, valid drivers license, insurance coverage and the app wants to come and get me and drive me home, at a rate of pay she knows well in advance, why should I, you, or the government care?

Sure, the taxi industry is likely to disappear. But in the meantime, Uber is absolutely anti freemarket. Its probable end game is to destroy the ability of anyone else to effectively enter the marketplace of what may replace it: https://medium.com/h...ic-8bd386e3d382

"These pseudo-market patterns also mask patterns of subsidy, like the fact that Uber’s current operations are subsidized by investors to the tune of $2 billion per year. That’s a cost that will be immediately passed along to consumers as soon as Uber succeeds in displacing conventional taxis."

Or this gem,

"But unlike competitive sellers on eBay, Uber drivers can’t set their prices. In fact, prices can be (and regularly have been) changed unilaterally by Uber."

VHF, you should care because imagine me setting the price on your work... actually, dont. I don't want you to have nightmares. I'm sorry.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#359 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

http, I'd be happy if a car - or a guy on a skateboard - pulled up outside the bar and flashed a I'll take you home for $10 sign.  Seems we have regulated the hell out of transportation for no real reason, other than because "we can".

• rjag and jonny like this

#360 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

Ever heard of price dumping? Look it up.

It's not predatory pricing simply because taxi fares are exorbitantly priced and Uber prices are substantially lower. That's called competition, which we absolutely don't have with taxi cartels.

Do you ever take taxis? The cost is crazy.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users