472 replies to this topic

#441 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

Another day, another sexual assault by a cabbie on his fare:

http://www.timescolo...ault-1.19945601

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#442 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

Downtown Parking Stands
The City of Victoria has a number of parking stands in the downtown core, specifically around the Inner Harbour, that are currently allocated to motor vehicle sightseeing vehicles. Council has agreed to amend the Vehicles for Hire Bylaw to allow human-powered sightseeing vehicles that are not pedicabs or rickshaws use these stands. In addition, Parking Stand 3 has been allocated for the use of The Rolling Barrel and Little Urban Vehicles, subject to proof of licensing.

Little Urban:

The LUV Electric Vehicles combine an emission-free and sustainable form of sightseeing. The strikingly designed vehicles travel at speeds between 35 and 45 km per hour powered by a electric motor. They are able to comfortably  carry four passengers and a small amount of luggage. Sightseeing tours will showcase Victoria BC. including Oak Bay, Downtown, Chinatown, Beacon Hill Park, James Bay and Fisherman’s Wharf and much more...

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#443 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

Can we assume the GreenDP is a major setback for Uber and other ride share businesses making an overdue appearance in BC?

#444 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

Can we assume the GreenDP is a major setback for Uber and other ride share businesses making an overdue appearance in BC?

Hey, but aren't the GreenDP super progressive? Left leaning Californians, New Yorkers and Washingtonians loooooove Uber.

#445 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:46 AM

The question is what will they prioritize. The taxi unions or progressive policies?

#446 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

The taxis don't have a union.  But they employ a certain ethnic demographic.

#447 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

The taxis have a large, vocal lobby.

#448 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

Ah, Uber... just another day in the life of a disruptive company.

https://www.buzzfeed...8EJ#.lbdaqwXMyg

"Sunday, the Wall Street Journal reported that Michael is set to resign, and Reuters reported [CEO] Kalanick will take a leave of absence ahead of what’s expected to be a deeply damning Holder report. (Kalanick is also coping with a family tragedy.)"

https://www.buzzfeed...JWP#.jpOy6blpqn

"Emil Michael, the Uber executive who once suggested the ride-hail giant should dig up dirt on its critics, has left the company, Uber confirmed."

#449 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

Ah, Uber... just another day in the life of a disruptive company.

https://www.buzzfeed...8EJ#.lbdaqwXMyg

"Sunday, the Wall Street Journal reported that Michael is set to resign, and Reuters reported [CEO] Kalanick will take a leave of absence ahead of what’s expected to be a deeply damning Holder report. (Kalanick is also coping with a family tragedy.)"

https://www.buzzfeed...JWP#.jpOy6blpqn

"Emil Michael, the Uber executive who once suggested the ride-hail giant should dig up dirt on its critics, has left the company, Uber confirmed."

Don't sob too much, I am sure that Emil left with his $1B in stock.

#450 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:14 AM

And Travis exits as well... https://www.theglobe...rticle35406873/

#451 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

^ With about $10B in stock which he can trade shortly after they IPO as he will no longer be an insider. 

#452 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

^ With about $10B in stock which he can trade shortly after they IPO as he will no longer be an insider. 

Assuming the venture capital doesn't dry up, and the Uber model survives once it can no longer subsidize its lower rates.

#453 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:36 AM

Hopped in a cab yesterday for the first time in a while. I misnamed our intended destination by accident and that gave the driver the idea that myself and my passenger were not from here.

Long story short the driver took us on a circuitous route and attempted to drive slow enough to hit red lights. I observed him for a while and eventually told him to smarten up. When he realized we were locals that put the fear of god in him and he attempted to explain away his driving with some nonsense rambling about congestion.

Unbelievable.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#454 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,142 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:04 AM

We just had 4 or 5 cab rides in Vancouver this weekend. Opposite experience. Shortcuts at full speed ahead Captain. Pant crapper rides.
  • Mattjvd likes this

#455 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

Took Uber a handful of times last week in Cali and it was wonderful. 

#456 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hopped in a cab yesterday for the first time in a while. I misnamed our intended destination by accident and that gave the driver the idea that myself and my passenger were not from here.

Long story short the driver took us on a circuitous route and attempted to drive slow enough to hit red lights. I observed him for a while and eventually told him to smarten up. When he realized we were locals that put the fear of god in him and he attempted to explain away his driving with some nonsense rambling about congestion.

Unbelievable.

Report it to consumer protection BC.

#457 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:18 PM

I didn't read the whole article but it appears the Federal Government is bringing out the heavy artillery in dealing with the taxi industry.

https://www.cheknews...nanaimo-472113/

• RFS and lanforod like this

#458 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

Victoria Taxi cabs are being stopped by VicPD tonight in downtown Victoria. Some folks are saying it’s Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement-related (CVSE) but that’s not confirmed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#459 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,878 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:27 AM

tc says a 15-car Tesla taxi fleet starts in victoria next week.

#460 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:32 AM

Same rates as gas powered fleets?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users