Photo

Saanich Inlet Bridge

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

A bridge across Saanich Inlet makes the most sense as an alternate to the Malahat and therefore will probably never happen.

True and True ... the needs of the few continue to out way the needs of the many when it comes to Victoria CMA politics. 

• Nparker, thundergun and Awaiting Juno like this

#122 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

Now Furstenau is talking about commuter buses over the Malahat.

Sigh... we already have them, they are far less expensive or stressful than operating a car, and they are wildly unpopular.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 July 2017 - 10:14 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#123 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

Discounting opposition/politics, I still think Salt Spring is a better overall route.

• Bingo likes this

#124 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

Discounting opposition/politics, I still think Salt Spring is a better overall route.

I just don't see the traffic demand. I lived in Cobble Hill for years, and I certainly would still take the Malahat vs driving to Crofton to take the bridge. The same will go for Shawnigan/Mill Bay. All that's really doing is making it easier to get to Nanaimo or the North Island, and that's not a lot of cars.

#125 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

I just don't see the traffic demand. I lived in Cobble Hill for years, and I certainly would still take the Malahat vs driving to Crofton to take the bridge. The same will go for Shawnigan/Mill Bay. All that's really doing is making it easier to get to Nanaimo or the North Island, and that's not a lot of cars.

Like all other procrastination projects in the area the demand will be there by the time all the the nit-picking is over.

• Nparker likes this

#126 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:09 PM

Saanich Inlet gondola might be the solution

As a Malahat alternative solution, we could build a gondola across the Saanich Inlet with a constant rotation of pods transporting people across the arm efficiently.

This would require plenty of space for a base station and parking lot on either side of the inlet. On the peninsula side, there’s an empty lot directly east of the airport on either side of Willingdon Road.

On the Mill Bay side, there is a large vacant lot alongside the Malahat just south of Frayne Road.

A base station next to the airport would be massively beneficial; people could gondola directly to the airport or take a simple transfer to reach the ferries. Transportation network improvements would be relatively minor as both stations are already along hearty infrastructure.

Gondolas exist all over the world, spanning impressive distances (up to 7.4 kilometres). The longest cable-free span is in Whistler (2.8 km). The support towers could be few and far between, resulting in a relatively low impact to the affected communities and to the inlet itself.

A gondola provides an excellent tourist attraction that could actually provide income to recoup project costs. Think about all the gorgeous views to take in whilst suspended over the ocean, or even a misty sunrise over Mount Baker during an early morning commute.

This tourism aspect would complement the Malahat Skywalk nicely and open a network for walk-on ferry passengers to easily make their way to the lookout.

I’m a prime example of a Malahat commuter. Living in Cobble Hill, I commute it six days a week. A bridge is expensive and high impact, a train is neat but infrequent, so is the ferry.

Buses are not a solution in an emergency or highway shutdown. The only thing that would get me out of my car to commute would be a reliable, timely, high frequency solution.

A constant rotation of pods transporting commuters across the inlet quickly and reliably would be a convenient solution to the Malahat woes.

Dorian Redden
Cobble Hill

https://www.timescol...g-youth-4841750

Park the car.  Take the gondola.  Then what, at the other side?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2021 - 12:09 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:28 PM

...I’m a prime example of a Malahat commuter. Living in Cobble Hill, I commute it six days a week....

But what about those folks who don't need to get from Cobble Hill to Willingdon Road? You know, the 99.9% of all current commuters who live north of the Malahat.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:30 PM

Indeed a Google search reveals the letter writer works on the Peninsula.  How convenient for them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2021 - 12:31 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#129 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:31 PM

Saanich Inlet gondola might be the solution

As a Malahat alternative solution, we could build a gondola across the Saanich Inlet with a constant rotation of pods transporting people across the arm efficiently.

This would require plenty of space for a base station and parking lot on either side of the inlet. On the peninsula side, there’s an empty lot directly east of the airport on either side of Willingdon Road.

On the Mill Bay side, there is a large vacant lot alongside the Malahat just south of Frayne Road.

A base station next to the airport would be massively beneficial; people could gondola directly to the airport or take a simple transfer to reach the ferries. Transportation network improvements would be relatively minor as both stations are already along hearty infrastructure.

Gondolas exist all over the world, spanning impressive distances (up to 7.4 kilometres). The longest cable-free span is in Whistler (2.8 km). The support towers could be few and far between, resulting in a relatively low impact to the affected communities and to the inlet itself.

A gondola provides an excellent tourist attraction that could actually provide income to recoup project costs. Think about all the gorgeous views to take in whilst suspended over the ocean, or even a misty sunrise over Mount Baker during an early morning commute.

This tourism aspect would complement the Malahat Skywalk nicely and open a network for walk-on ferry passengers to easily make their way to the lookout.

I’m a prime example of a Malahat commuter. Living in Cobble Hill, I commute it six days a week. A bridge is expensive and high impact, a train is neat but infrequent, so is the ferry.

Buses are not a solution in an emergency or highway shutdown. The only thing that would get me out of my car to commute would be a reliable, timely, high frequency solution.

A constant rotation of pods transporting commuters across the inlet quickly and reliably would be a convenient solution to the Malahat woes.

Dorian Redden
Cobble Hill

https://www.timescol...g-youth-4841750

Park the car.  Take the gondola.  Then what, at the other side?

What a terrible idea.

build a floating bridge or build a new road.

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:17 PM

We really are living in a twilight zone.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#131 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:32 PM

We really are living in a twilight zone.

A tourism gondola between first nations reserves would be quite spectacular, but it would need to come from the Malahat on that side.

#132 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 02:52 AM

P.E.I. premier asks Ottawa to drop Confederation Bridge toll to $20

Prince Edward Island Premier Dennis King is calling on the federal government to support reducing the toll on the Confederation Bridge by 60 per cent, so that it sits at $20 by September.

King spoke with federal officials about decreasing the amount it costs to cross the bridge to New Brunswick in November, and then sent a letter on Dec. 9 to Dominic LeBlanc, Canada's minister of infrastructure and a New Brunswick MP.

The current regular car toll of $50.25 on the bridge is not affordable for Islanders and Island businesses, said King. He would also like to see the cost of taking the ferry between P.E.I. and Nova Scotia drop to $20.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...quest-1.6713824

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 January 2023 - 02:53 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#133 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 11:05 AM

Would be nice if they could spruce it up a little too. Maybe some flower baskets and murals.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users