30 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

Victoria council sets its sights on restricting firearm sales

Victoria is looking at ways to regulate the sale of firearms and ammunition in the city.

After hearing that a pawnshop was buying and selling guns, Mayor Dean Fortin wanted a staff report on possibly “restricting” the sale of firearms in the downtown core. But councillors Thursday broadened the scope to include “regulating” the purchase and sale of firearms within city limits.

“Some of the local businesses have brought to my attention that one of the local pawnshops has got a licence to buy and sell guns in the downtown core,” Fortin said. “It obviously has sparked a concern in the sense of what risks are out there.”

[...]

http://www.timescolo...-sales-1.757880

Considering all the restrictions on purchasing and transporting guns and what I assume is a fairly lengthy, costly and complicated process for the store to obtain a licence to sell the guns, I doubt very much that this will evolve into a problem. 

I don't see the store selling guns to people without the proper paperwork and permits.

Councillors Charlayne Thornton-Joe and Shellie Gudgeon didn’t see any reason to limit the focus to downtown. “I don’t think we want to see this migrate to our neighbourhoods, which are thriving,” Gudgeon said.

She's speaking like the sale and purchase of a heavily regulated and restricted product will spread like wildfire if they don't put a stop to this immediately. 

Is this another non-issue the city is going after?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

Our neighbourhoods will continue to "thrive" so long as law abiding gun owners can only buy guns in Saanich. That's the gist of it, yes?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

Maybe they just don't want the urban deer to fight back.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

They get all the guns they need while passing through the Highlands.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

Is this another non-issue the city is going after?

In a word - yes. For the love of all that is just, I implore the voters to clean house come November 2014.

• rjag likes this

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

http://www.timescolo...-sales-1.757880

Considering all the restrictions on purchasing and transporting guns and what I assume is a fairly lengthy, costly and complicated process for the store to obtain a licence to sell the guns, I doubt very much that this will evolve into a problem. 

Gun regulations are only for the law abiding people. The bad guys already have their arsenal.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Gun regulations are only for the law abiding people. The bad guys already have their arsenal.

This.  I've said this before, I've never owned a gun, shot a gun, even touched a gun or got near a gun.  Personally, I'm not into guns.  But I think if you are a responsible and competent person, I'm OK with you having a gun.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

What about all the stores that sell knives and blunt objects? Are we going to clamp down on them too?

After all more people get stabbed in this city every year than shot with a firearm. And those that are shot aren't shot with registered weapons with serial numbers, if you catch my drift.

Know it all.

#9 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

^ is that true? Most gun deaths are from suicide, at least in the US. Many others are from domestic crimes and accident.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

^ is that true? Most gun deaths are from suicide, at least in the US. Many others are from domestic crimes and accident.

Yes, if you look at hospital admittance records from assaults, more than 10x are from other-than-gun injuries.

Even in the US, assault involving a firearm was only the eighth leading cause of non-fatal violence related injury in 2009.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

It all starts with our city's youth.  We give kids things they point at other kids and pull the trigger.  We need to ban Super soakers and water guns.  You know, to send a message.

#12 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

Sorry. I appreciate that there are more assaults w non firearms. I meant that most firearms deaths are probably wih registered weapons.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Sorry. I appreciate that there are more assaults w non firearms. I meant that most firearms deaths are probably wih registered weapons.

If you include suicides, perhaps.  If you take all the non-drug, non-inner-city, unknown-to-assailant gun deaths, the very vast majority would be unregistered.  You and I have little to fear in that regard.  We are far, far more likely to die in a car crash.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

My concern is not with whether there should be gun control or not. I do have serious issues however with a city council that is constantly over-stepping its mandate (IMHO) and wasting my local tax dollars on social engineering. These sorts of issues need to be left to the provincial and federal governments who have the legitimate authority to make changes to social policy. City of Victoria council: stick to keeping our infrastructure intact, our streets clean and ensuring that our municipal services are maintained as well as can be for the lowest tax level possible.

• Mike K., rjag and jonny like this

#15 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

^ true enough.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

My concern is not with whether there should be gun control or not. I do have serious issues however with a city council that is constantly over-stepping its mandate (IMHO) and wasting my local tax dollars on social engineering. These sorts of issues need to be left to the provincial and federal governments who have the legitimate authority to make changes to social policy. City of Victoria council: stick to keeping our infrastructure intact, our streets clean and ensuring that our municipal services are maintained as well as can be for the lowest tax level possible.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Do our elected officials need more things to occupy themselves or are they misusing their time in office? Clearly taking on additional projects and fretting over problems that the rest of the city does not believe exist is an indication of one of the two aforementioned possibilities.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Have they made Victoria a "nuclear free zone" like Vancouver yet?

What a waste of council time.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Have they made Victoria a "nuclear free zone" like Vancouver yet?

LJ, I've got a story for you. Victoria was declared a "nuclear free zone" back in the early 1980s. When Gretchen Brewin announced that she was running for mayor in 1985, I think it was, she was asked what her proudest accomplishment was after three two-year terms on City Council. Her answer? Having declared Victoria a nuclear free zone! And you wonder why we are lacking political leadership around here. It's sad.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

I know I sleep better at night with the knowledge that even as missiles fall around the earth I am prevented from harm due to Victoria's nuclear free zone. I assume it also prevents radioactive fallout from drifting or raining down on us as well. Sad for the folks in the rest of the CRD not to have had the political forethought of the City of Victoria's elected officials. This sort of comfort is worth every penny of my local tax dollars.  :whyme:

• sebberry likes this

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

I guess Esquimalt never got the message.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users