Victoria council sets its sights on restricting firearm sales

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

It would be an interesting topic to discuss when people thought Victoria last had an effective council....

#22 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

It would be an interesting topic to discuss when people thought Victoria last had an effective council....

I don't know how successful it would be, I'm not sure there is any one old enough to remember that can still participate in a forum discussion.

• Nparker, rjag and Bingo like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Is oak bay a nuclear free zone?  Can we build a power plant there?

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#24 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Is oak bay a nuclear free zone?  Can we build a power plant there?

Not sure about Victoria (just weapons or power plants too?) or Oak Bay, but Saanich has a bylaw in place regarding nuclear weapons. No mention of power plants: http://www.saanich.c...cleardisarm.pdf

Edited by lanforod, 16 December 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#25 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

I can sleep safer in my bed knowing that Frank Leonard is walking the ramparts protecting me from this....

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."

#26 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

What a joke...as NParker put it, this is just more social engineering from the CoV. City Council must have too much time on their hands.

#27 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

^ Well I guess they think that if they look busy everybody will think they are working hard, and if they get their name mentioned in the paper that's just gravy.

These are the sorts of people who walk around job sites with clipboards and a pen, producing nothing but in their mind they are very important to the operation.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

...and if they get their name mentioned in the paper that's just gravy.

I think this is one of the major problems when it comes to our civic elections. Due to a more-or-less disinterested electorate, a group of often incompetent candidates keeps getting re-elected simply because people recognize their names on the ballot. I really wish we had term limits so that at least every 6 years or so we'd be able to sweep away some of the deadwood (cough, Madoff - 20 years on Council!!!) and perhaps see some fresh blood elected. I know that doesn't always work (cough Gudgeon, cough Isitt), but it would at least offer some hope for change.

#29 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

^ You may very well disagree with Councilor Madoff, but I don't think its fair to call her "deadwood".  She seems to me to work hard and be very effective.

#30 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

When Victoria was incorporated in 1862 one of the powers it had was to regulate firearms, what it could not do was land zoning

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

^ You may very well disagree with Councilor Madoff, but I don't think its fair to call her "deadwood".  She seems to me to work hard and be very effective.

I agree.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users