What's Open on Christmas Day?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

I got stuck working today and I'm looking for some good food to soften the blow of being in the office. So far my search has yielded the following results:

Tim Hortons - closed

Boston Pizza - closed

Market on Yates - closed

Panago - closed

What's open downtown today?

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Sticky Wicket, for sure, all sections.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

Nautical Nellies opens at 3pm, with traditional Christmas dinner, as well as regular menu.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Empress Hotel, incl. Bengal Lounge.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

Starbucks at Douglas and Tolmie is open until 4PM. I'm not sure of other locations but I imagine many will be open.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Shoppers downtown is open, as is Tomley's Market on Johnson, until 6pm.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Merry Christmas

to all the moderators,

and the members and guests

that participate on VibrantVictoria 

• Mike K. and Dimitrios like this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Right back at you, Bingo!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thanks Bingo, same to you!

Honestly I'm a little surprised Starbucks is open, but I guess they're there to serve those who have to work today.

Then again I remember many years ago going to rent movies and video games on Christmas day. 

The one thing that stands out for me on Christmas morning is how quiet things are.  Hardly any cars and trucks driving past makes for the most relaxing sleep-in all year. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

Honestly I'm a little surprised Starbucks is open, but I guess they're there to serve those who have to work today.

Then again I remember many years ago going to rent movies and video games on Christmas day. 

The one thing that stands out for me on Christmas morning is how quiet things are.  Hardly any cars and trucks driving past makes for the most relaxing sleep-in all year. 

The foot-traffic downtown today is stronger than on a Tuesday at 9:30am.  Car traffic not nearly as high.

We could really use a little bit of "Christmas in Victoria" promotion done around here.  Right now, a tourist coming up Government St. will be met with every store, pub and restaurant closed - except for 7-11 and Burger King.

And in typical downtown fashion, stores are all over the place whether they are opening tomorrow.  Many that usually open on Sunday are choosing to stay closed tomorrow (tomorrow is one of the biggest shopping days of the year, certainly stronger than any day until May for downtown retailers).  No coordination at all. So you have The Gap opening at 7am, but stores all around it closed tomorrow.  Many stores are not indicating on their doors if/when they are open tomorrow.

Even trying to find out who is open today and/or tomorrow, hoping to find something on their Facebook, page, and ... blank.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

It just dawned on me that just about every hotel should theoretically have something open throughout the day and evening today. I can't imagine guests would be impressed if they had nowhere to dine and not everyone celebrates Christmas dinner on the 25th (some do on the 24th).

Know it all.

#12 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Starbucks in Cadboro Bay was open and very busy. The beach is a nice walk and it's nice to get a treat.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

Tomley's was the busiest I've ever seen it, period.  Literally a 15-person line-up at 4:40pm, and maybe 20 others in the store.   I've never been in line behind more than 2 before.

#14 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Went to a 12:30 movie today... almost sold out of you don't count the cheap seats in the lower deck.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

If you forgot your rum for the egg nog, you're in luck!

http://www.reddit.co...n_on_christmas/

I didn't even go outside today :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#16 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

Each individual Starbucks chooses to stay open based on the staff that want to work Christmas Day. If enough staff want to work they open, if not they close.

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'm glad it's up to the staff and not a management/corporate decision. 

#18 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

I was at the Starbucks in Cook Street. Busiest I've seen it there too. 20 person constant line and no seats in or out.

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Clearly not enough coffee makers were found wrapped under trees this year :P

#20 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

20 person constant line and no seats in or out

I'm going to buy me some SBUX stock.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users