• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

August 3, 2015

Prospect Lake Golf Course will close permanently on November 30, 2015.

After 41 years of family ownership, it is a bitter sweet decision to close the golf course and we hope that you will enjoy the golf course until the closing date.

We are currently in discussions with three separate groups interested in leasing the property starting in 2016. We will not sell the land nor develop the land. The groups are looking to use the property potentially for summer day camps and for various lake-based activities and other recreational activities.

A final decision about the lease partner will be announced by October 31, 2015.

http://www.golfprosp...lf-course/news/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

Why am I getting a sense of deja vu...

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

Why am I getting a sense of deja vu...

The update is that they have three groups looking at it, and none will keep it as a golf course.  And an announcement by Halloween.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:10 AM

http://www.timescolo...clear-1.2191255

I think we knew this 3 weeks ago.

#25 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

Just confirmation. I'll buy it if I win the lotto max.

#26 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

Relative to our population the CRD has/had far too many golf courses as it was, given our modest size and the decline in the interest of the sport in general among younger demographics especially. The pro at Cedar Hill GC was quoted as saying even before the Royal Oak announcement that we were 20% "over" in terms of the number of courses that a region of our size typically supports in terms of capacity. I could care less since I am completely indifferent to golf, but it will be interesting to see what happens with the Prospect Lake and now Royal Oak properties.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 08 March 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#27 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

Is Glen Meadows closed yet?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#28 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

Relative to our population the CRD has/had far too many golf courses as it was, given our modest size and the decline in the interest of the sport in general among younger demographics especially. The pro at Cedar Hill GC was quoted as saying even before the Royal Oak announcement that we were 20% "over" in terms of the number of courses that a region of our size typically supports in terms of capacity. I could care less since I am completely indifferent to golf, but it will be interesting to see what happens with the Prospect Lake and now Royal Oak properties.....

What are the comparisons there though?

Does that take into account that we are an older demographic (that usually means more golfers), and that we have better weather than pretty much anywhere else in Canada for golf?

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

Does that take into account that we are an older demographic (that usually means more golfers), and that we have better weather than pretty much anywhere else in Canada for golf?

I was going to say that too. We probably have a higher boat owning population than many other coastal centres.

Wealth too. I'm not surprised we'd have more golfers than Red Deer.

#30 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:30 AM

Talking North America wide, not merely Canada. Fact is the number of "new" golfers is down right across the continent just as the numbers of golf courses closing in both the US and Canada rises. Simply put fewer aging boomers are taking up the game than did their parents and interest in the sport is even lower among millennials......

#31 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:59 AM

The Steele family has partnered with www.powertobe.ca for their Prospect Lake Golf Course.

#32 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:28 PM

Power To Be and the Steele Family are teaming up to turn the former Prospect Lake Golf Course into an accessible recreation hub, that'll offer outdoor activities for people with disabilities.

Power To Be Executive Director Tim Cormode says the property is exactly what they were looking for.

"We wanted waterfront property," said Cormode. "I think kids and families like being on the water and this seemed to be the most suitable. And it was very affordable, this is a very philanthropic family that was aligned with our values and we've negotiated a very affordable lease that's going to be able to allow us to grow our programs and make our programs affordable for the people that we serve."

Cedric Steele says it's a perfect partnership, and they're looking forward to supporting Power To Be as it grows.

http://www.cfax1070....spect-Lake-Golf

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

Glen Meadows is for sale for about $6M.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

Interesting that when I wrote the Royal Oak closure story for Citified Glen Meadows contacted me regarding a mention about their course. They did not speak to a sale, although we did touch on future development plans at the course and they maintained nothing was afoot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

You know, when you think about it...

$7M for 131 acres on the Peninsula... that's a bit crazy.   Can you build one residence on it?  A big house and a 100-acre lawn might be appealing.

http://www.cfax1070....s-on-the-market

EDIT:   looks like you can.

http://www.alc.gov.b...ownership-faq-s

6. How many dwellings are permitted per parcel?

One single-family dwelling per land registry parcel is permitted within the ALR provided it is permitted by zoning.

#36 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:38 PM

I believe you can build 2, actually, so long as its more than 25 acres of land. You can't subdivide it though, you have to own both.

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

Mike K., on 04 May 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

Interesting that when I wrote the Royal Oak closure story for Citified Glen Meadows contacted me regarding a mention about their course. They did not speak to a sale, although we did touch on future development plans at the course and they maintained nothing was afoot.

They have been trying to sell it for years. There is a map at the golf course that shows what they want to develop, not the least of which is housing along McTavish road.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:49 PM

They have been trying to sell it for years. There is a map at the golf course that shows what they want to develop, not the least of which is housing along McTavish road.

I'm not sure if the Gorge Vail is ALR, but they managed to get the municipality to allow them to carve some housing out of it a decade ago.

#39 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:51 PM

Awww. .. my golf course ain't worth no money anymore. Opps! My mistake... I guess?@?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#40 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:52 PM

^Vale, and yes, even a cemetery in the middle of it. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users