Photo

Why do some condo strata corporations allow for smaller dogs but not larger ones?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

I received this question via email from a potential out of town buyer and I thought I would throw it on here to get some thoughts?  Are smaller dogs not usually louder and more aggressive than larger ones? 

For those not familiar with the topic matter many condo buildings have a weight or size restriction bylaw pertaining to dogs, for example, many have a 10kg (22lb) maximum for dogs.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

My friend's sister lived in a townhouse complex with a weight restriction on dogs.  Their dog, a pug, was putting on some weight and the owner was told that should the dog get too heavy, they'd be told to move the dog out of the complex.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

Any prolonged barking is irritating - regardless of the size of the dog.

With my strata, when they brought in the size restriction they were citing 'wear and tear' on the hallways.  Which always seemed silly to me.  I think what they were really trying to avoid were pit bulls.

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

I think what they were really trying to avoid were pit bulls.

I was looking at a new construction condo for s***s and giggles one day and asked about dogs.  Weight limit of 20lbs and I quote "this is to prevent pitbulls from being in the building".

I swear some of these strata rules were though up by people who didn't get enough nutrients in the womb.

Any prolonged barking is irritating - regardless of the size of the dog.

That's what noise bylaws should deal with, not outright bans on pets.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#5 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Their dog, a pug, was putting on some weight and the owner was told that should the dog get too heavy, they'd be told to move the dog out of the complex.

Wouldn't the dog be grandfathered?  

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

Wouldn't the dog be grandfathered?

You'd think. But this strata also sent them a letter asking them if they had a permit for the light fixture they changed. Someone from the strata was watching them change it through the window.

In my building, our bylaw is worded "These bylaws do not allow pets in any strata lot". Nothing to say I can't tie up a dog in the hallway :)

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

You'd think. But this strata also sent them a letter asking them if they had a permit for the light fixture they changed. Someone from the strata was watching them change it through the window.

What was the justification for being upset about a light fixture? That it wasn't a professional electrician doing the work?

It's been said before here, small dogs are way worse than big one. Large dogs are generally easy going oafs. The occasional "woof" if they hear a sudden noise is the most common. Sometimes they get rambunctious when they meet another dog in the lobby. But the little dogs in my experience are a huge pain. They yap all day and if they mess in the hallway or elevator the owner thinks it's too tiny to bother cleaning up. Seriously. 

Pitbulls, I don' know. There are good ones and bad ones. Almost all are great, and the few bad ones are deadly. 

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

My friend's sister lived in a townhouse complex with a weight restriction on dogs.  Their dog, a pug, was putting on some weight and the owner was told that should the dog get too heavy, they'd be told to move the dog out of the complex.

Well they do have weight limits on the elevator.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

When you have a rule that Hitler would have been upset about you know your bylaws may be a little strict.

• concorde, sebberry and grantpalin like this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

I have two small dogs, one barks when the doorbell rings, the other barks if you are a little too slow getting her dinner to her. That's it.

There are people that leave their dogs out on their balcony and let them bark/howl all day long. That drives me nuts. I see people sitting in their condo/house and watch their dog bark at everything that goes by without any attempt to shut them up. Incredible.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

Our first purchase was a townhouse in 1991 which was a brand new strata so the rules were being developed. I couldn't believe the uneducated opinions that tried to influence the rules.
The dog rule for this townhouse complex with no enclosed common areas and lots of green space was 'not more than 12" at the shoulder and no more than 1 dog and no more than 3 cats (????)'
Being that this was pre-interweb I had to do some actual research.
I wrote to them indicating that this rule was ridiculous as I could not get my golden retriever that stood 14" ( or something like that) but could get a pitty etc etc
Needless to say common sense prevailed and the rule was changed to '2 pets which must be in the owners control at all times, leashed in common areas etc'
When I brought my Doberman pup home they all fell in love with him and his goofball antics.
Rules that are unreasonable are usually the result of uneducated biased opinions with no real basis
  • Nparker and jonny like this

#12 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

Doesn't make much sense in a townhouse but I can see the logic in a condo. Big dogs will need to be moved through the halls regularly for walks and could be a nuisance to others. Also I find the bigger the dog the bigger the smell. Small dogs are more likely to be "lap" type dogs. Yes they can be yappy but thinking of those little furry things that old people have they are usually more like cats

#13 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

More people are bitten by small dogs than large dogs. As for dogs that smell, that's the owner not grooming properly, not the dog. I agree thatn it can make some folks uncomfortable when walking down a hallway when Marmaduke is pounding towards them but really the rule that is most important is not size or breed but 'must be under the care and control at all time'

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

'must be under the care and control at all time'

Isn't that pretty much a city bylaw everywhere outside of the confines of your property?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

To be fair, big dogs have more fun in big mud puddles and require a lot more toweling off.  There's also a "wear and tear" concern with common area carpets. 

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

Honestly, dogs are pretty far down the list of wear-and-tear perpetrators, after clumsy movers, incontinent drug users, people that leave garbage bags in stairwells, et cetera. The most common sin is a muddy dog shaking himself in the lobby but that's an easy clean.

Although I wouldn't want this dog loose in the garage:

http://www.dailymail...ton-Martin.html

#17 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

More people are bitten by small dogs than large dogs. As for dogs that smell, that's the owner not grooming properly, not the dog.

Sign me up to be bitten twice by a Schnoodle than once by an Irish Wolfhound. As for grooming, sure it can be done properly. Are all your neighbours so diligent?

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

I don't know why anyone would want to have anything bigger than a chihuahua living with them in a tiny apartment, but that's just me.

As for barking and such, if it's a nuisance and animal control is contacted, do the same rules not apply that someone living in a house would be bound by (ie unless the dog stops barking the owner will be fined with the possibility of an escalation in penalties/consequences if the animals behaviour doesn't change)?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

I don't know why anyone would want to have anything bigger than a chihuahua living with them in a tiny apartment, but that's just me.

I don't know.  If you're going to invest in a dog bed, crate, bowls, food, toys, leash, licence, brush, and vet bills I don't think the size of the dog makes much of a difference.

It's more of a lifestyle choice.  If you're an outdoorsy, hiking, biking beach-going 30 year old, a bigger dog might be perfectly suited to your lifestyle.  If you're 80 with arthritic ankles and waiting for a hip op, then perhaps a toy poodle is the right choice. 

The owner should be able to pick the dog that's best matched for their lifestyle, not the knitting club that calls itself a strata council. 

• jonny likes this

#20 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

I swear some of these strata rules were though up by people who didn't get enough nutrients in the womb.

Control freaks with nothing better to do than make rules and try to control other people's lives.

I know my strata council has one. Unfortunately, she is the President.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users