Full name streets

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

Help create the definitive list of Victoria-area streets with full names and a short explanation of the person's claim to fame. The street must contain both first and last names.

I'll start with Arthur Currie Lane, an obscure little street beside the Gorge. Lane was a controversial and heroic Victorian who served as a General in the First World War.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

Nancy Hanks Street is off Cedar Hill X-Road near at Gordon Head. I am assuming it's named after Abraham Lincoln's mother, Nancy Hanks Lincoln? 

Edited by SamCB, 10 February 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

^Strange, there seems to be no famous Canadian "Nancy Hanks". Perhaps it's the wife or daughter of a housing developer in the area?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:58 AM

Cecil Blogg Drive in Colwood cuts between Jacklin and Veterans along Sooke Road. Blogg was an early pioneer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

Nancy Hanks Street is off Cedar Hill X-Road near at Gordon Head. I am assuming it's named after Abraham Lincoln's mother, Nancy Hanks Lincoln? 

I believe the name is a legacy from when a horse track was in that area. Nancy Hanks was the name of Lincoln's mother, but it was also the name of a racehorse in Victoria in the early twentieth century. I'd always wondered about the name of that street and then came across a reference to the horse while doing research in old issues of the Colonist.

#6 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Paul Kane Place in the Songhees development in Victoria.

Wikipedia describes Paul Kane as an Irish born Canadian artist (1810-1871) known for paintings of First Nations peoples.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Paul Kane Place in the Songhees development in Victoria.

Wikipedia describes Paul Kane as an Irish born Canadian artist (1810-1871) known for paintings of First Nations peoples.

I looked it up and apparently there was a Kane St. in Victoria--it's now the part of Broughton St. adjoining Quadra. I suppose that accounts for the slight jog in Broughton where it crosses Douglas--originally they were different streets. What I don't know is whether old Kane St. and Paul Kane Place are named after the same painter.

Which brings up the question--why only certain streets get the full name treatment?

I believe the name is a legacy from when a horse track was in that area. Nancy Hanks was the name of Lincoln's mother, but it was also the name of a racehorse in Victoria in the early twentieth century.

That's an excellent find. I never thought one of the names on our list would be a horse!

Another Saanich one is Stan Wright Lane. Wright was a long-time magazine and postcard distributor. Here's an overview of his postcard career. And for something more bizarre, an online jigsaw puzzle featuring one of his classic delivery vans.

#8 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

And of course Broadmead boasts Emily Carr Drive.

• Mike K. likes this

#9 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I've noticed Henry Eng Pl in Langford & Lyman Duff Pl in Rockland.

1745 Rockland Avenue Ashton1900-01

Rattenbury designed this mansion for his lawyer, Lyman Duff. Duff defended the architect when he was charged with misappropriating goods from his commission at Government House. One of Rattenbury’s finest domestic works in the Chateau style, this house has pointed dormers and crenulated bay. Lyman Duff became the Chief Justice for BC, then the Chief Justice of Canada in the 1930s. He was knighted by George V.

link

Edited by amor de cosmos, 11 February 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

A bit off topic, but an Oak Bay Municipal worker once told me the most stolen sign has been at the corner of Beach Drive and Somass.

#11 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

I found Chief Robert Sam Lane in Esquimalt.

As a point of interest, googling 'Saanich history of place names' brought up a list of every one on record for that municipality. Looks as though Emily Carr and Nancy Hanks are the only two first-name-surname streets in Saanich. And yes, Nancy Hanks Drive is named for the race horse, according to the document.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

James White Blvd in Sidney.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

As a point of interest, googling 'Saanich history of place names' brought up a list of every one on record for that municipality. Looks as though Emily Carr and Nancy Hanks are the only two first-name-surname streets in Saanich. And yes, Nancy Hanks Drive is named for the race horse, according to the document.

Stan Wright makes three in Saanich.

I confirmed the Nancy Hanks origin with Saanich archives and they added that Persimmon is another horse name while Epsom, Ascot, Goodwood, Doncaster and Derby are named after race courses.

• Kikadee likes this

#14 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Frederick Norris in Oak Bay former Reeve

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

Lyman Duff Lane.

It is not a pudding made of Lymes and duff, and it is not a lane named after Duff Lane.

It is named after the Eighth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Lyman_Duff

#16 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

Myles Mansell Rd in Langford.

I knew him and his family quite well. He was the 12th Canadian killed in action in Afganistan

Edited by History Buff, 11 February 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

Paul's Terrace....

#18 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:09 AM

Caleb Pike Rd. in the Highlands. http://www.calebpike...istory_home.htm

What about Bradley Dyne in North Saanich?

Wise Victoria Mortgages - Offering honest & reliable mortgage advice to Victorians.

www.wisevictoria.com - 225 Dundas Street at the corner of Bay and Catherine - 250 388 9473

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

It's not a street but Victoria will build David Foster Way along the harbour.

Know it all.

#20 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

Smokey Smith Pl in the Royal Oak area.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 12 February 2014 - 07:36 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users