Full name streets

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

There's an Ed Nixon lane on Westshore Parkway at the Harley dealership.

#22 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Cyril Owen and Sarah Owen Place in Prospect Lake.

Wise Victoria Mortgages - Offering honest & reliable mortgage advice to Victorians.

www.wisevictoria.com - 225 Dundas Street at the corner of Bay and Catherine - 250 388 9473

#23 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

You guys can list street until the cows come home but what about the rest of what is asked when posting...a short explanation of the person's claim to fame or is it too difficult to look it up and share it with the readers here????

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

I can't find anything on this Ed Nixon guy.

It seems that these full name streets are a recent phenomenon--when new streets are named after a person the whole name is used for some reason. Probably because the name becomes distinctive. Smith Place is pretty generic but Smokey Smith Place is very memorable and specific.

Nice list we have!

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#25 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

Ed Nixon was a member of the Nixon family that owned the land at the north end of Langford lake. The Nixon family had a gravel operation there and when the gravel supply was exhausted the land was point  off and subdivided into the industrial park we find there now.The industrial park contains a number of business's including Steve Drane HD , A CSIS Office, Mainroad Contracting Sysco and many others . At the rear of the old Nixons pit bordering the railway right of way you can find the Kettle Creek Legoland subdivsion with front yards the size of a postage stamp and backyards the size of a hockey card.

the nixons owned the land from about the 1930s

Across the highway up on Skirt Mountain the Nixons own the rock crushing plant up there. So if you ever wanted to knwo where that road goes now you know. You can see the rock crushing excavation from the Westhills area.

A lot of teh land you see in teh first picture is what used to be the Nixon property and gravel pit. I took thsi shot before Kettle Creek was started.

In the 2nd picture you can see the rock Quarry on the lower slope of Skirt Mountain up behind Ice Cream Mtn. Eventually that complte west facing slop of Skirt Mountain will have homes from top to bottoms.

The same Nixon family I believe Ed used to own a Heavy Duty Truck repair business called Nixons on Burnside rd at Dupplin. P&R Western Star resides there now.

Also the entrance to Nixons pit was on Amy rd which is now blocked off.

Edited by History Buff, 12 February 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:14 AM

The discussion on CSIS in Langford has been moved here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

Paul's Terrace....

Along with Arsen's Place adjacent it's named for Paul Arsens of Paul's Motor Inn fame.  Maybe he developed the area?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 fenian

fenian
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:22 AM

Back in this thread there was a query about "Bradley Dyne" in North Saanich.  The Bradley-Dyne family (intermarried with the Payne family) were pioneer farmers in North Saanich.  Both families had settled on Saturna in the 1880s, where a Payne sister married a Bradley-Dyne, with the families moving to North Saanich a few years later.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

Back in this thread there was a query about "Bradley Dyne" in North Saanich.  The Bradley-Dyne family (intermarried with the Payne family) were pioneer farmers in North Saanich.  Both families had settled on Saturna in the 1880s, where a Payne sister married a Bradley-Dyne, with the families moving to North Saanich a few years later.

Excellent.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#30 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

"The street must contain both first and last names." -- so spake Holden West.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

"The street must contain both first and last names." -- so spake Holden West.

Holden West is dead to us now.  He can show back up and correct us if he wants, but his ship has apparently sailed.

• Nparker likes this

#32 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

Lemme just update "Deaths of Notable Victorians...."

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#33 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

^^^ Henry Eng Place. 

• Nparker likes this

#34 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

Holden West is dead 

I heard that he survived that ugly ordeal. 

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:26 AM

Holden West is dead to us now.  He can show back up and correct us if he wants, but his ship has apparently sailed.

His spirit lives on. But after all, isn't there a little Holden West in all of us? 

• Sparky likes this

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:30 AM

...But after all, isn't there a little Holden West in all of us? 

Clearly you had a more personal relationship with HW than some of the rest of us.  :P

• Mike K. likes this

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:43 PM

Maybe I'm the only one who thought he was a pretentious windbag?

(Just trying to provoke him enough to make a return. It didn't work for Oxford Sutherland but you never know...)

• VicHockeyFan and Sparky like this

#38 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

Whatever happened to gumgum?

#39 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

Chewed up and spit out?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:16 PM

This board does that to people.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users