710 replies to this topic

#621 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:03 PM

Wow, looks like CARS has a point!!! 

Oh, wait. Compliance is pretty good.  Unpossible! 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#622 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:34 AM

Wow, looks like CARS has a point!!! 

Oh, wait. Compliance is pretty good.  Unpossible! 

Yup, replacing emotion with data shows that most roads there isnt a problem....CARS will hate this

#623 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

Those bad drivers running red lights in Richmond were undercover anti-gang police following a suspect vehicle.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#624 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

At two different intersections?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#625 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:07 PM

Yup, Van Police say they were lawmen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#626 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

I was at a red light at Tillicum & Craigflower last week when I was surprised to see a COP at the window of my car peering in at me.  I guess this is just one of their methods for checking to see if you are using a cell phone or if you have your seat belt on.  Caught it on my Dash Cam.  He was just strolling between cars.

https://youtu.be/eLHRRGDAOAo

Edited by Star Dust, 09 February 2018 - 05:58 PM.

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#627 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

B.C.’s attorney general has hinted that distracted drivers could possibly lose their privileges behind the wheel.

Speaking with Shane Woodford of Radio NL on Friday, David Eby was asked whether, in cracking down on distracted driving, the province might consider taking a page from impaired driving enforcement and implement immediate roadside prohibitions.

“Absolutely,” Eby said.

“We’re escalating the penalties and consequences of distracted driving to try and to try to get the message through to this hardcore group that just will not put their phones down.

https://globalnews.c...s-its-possible/

Edited by Cats4Hire, 09 February 2018 - 06:22 PM.

#628 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

^ so he's still fixated on penalties through false interpretation of the data....

• sebberry likes this

#629 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

To heck with the roadside prohibitions, take their cellphone away.

• rjag likes this

#630 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

To heck with the roadside prohibitions, take their cellphone away.

How would you report a distracted driver then?
  • rjag likes this

#631 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:50 PM

^Semaphore.

#632 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

^Semaphore.

ii.png

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#633 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:20 PM

I was at a red light at Tillicum & Craigflower last week when I was surprised to see a COP at the window of my car peering in at me.  I guess this is just one of their methods for checking to see if you are using a cell phone or if you have your seat belt on.  Caught it on my Dash Cam.  He was just strolling between cars.

https://youtu.be/eLHRRGDAOAo

And this is exactly why you don't use $1,000+ penalties, IRPs, impounds, etc... to punish cell phone users. 

Good idea to be using your phone while stopped at a light?  No.  Worthy of the punishments they're talking about?  Hardly.

For everyone using their phone at  light, there's someone else using it while operating a moving car.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#634 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:38 PM

And this is exactly why you don't use $1,000+ penalties, IRPs, impounds, etc... to punish cell phone users. 

Good idea to be using your phone while stopped at a light?  No.  Worthy of the punishments they're talking about?  Hardly.

For everyone using their phone at  light, there's someone else using it while operating a moving car.

Last weekend I was listening to an Excellent interview on C-Fax with a retried police officer who is against ticketing cell phone users while at red lights etc.  Boy, you should have heard the interview, and the statistics he pulled up to PROVE that the actual amount of deaths in BC Caused directly by cell phone use distraction is actually extremely LOW in comparison to all the other kinds of distracted driving accidents.

You see, distracted driving is a definition this retired cop wants to change in BC Laws because it involves too many aspects. Things such as eating while driving, looking down to change the station on your radio, reaching over to grab your cup of coffee from the coffee holder etc.  And he gave stats on how many accidents in BC were caused by alternative forms of distracted driving other then cell phone use, and they out-numbered the accidents caused by cell phone distraction by quite a bit.

Great interview.  And I hope he is able to get through to our Minister of Transportation.

#635 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:47 PM

Do you recall when that interview was? Wonder if they have it recorded.

When even David Eby can't call it by its proper term, there's no hope.  There's a big disconnect between the lawmakers at the top and what's happening on the ground. 

IMO, if you're using a phone in a non-moving car, the cop should have to prove distraction before writing a ticket (fail to get moving for a green light for example).

• Star Dust likes this

#636 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:50 PM

Do you recall when that interview was? Wonder if they have it recorded.

When even David Eby can't call it by its proper term, there's no hope.  There's a big disconnect between the lawmakers at the top and what's happening on the ground. 

IMO, if you're using a phone in a non-moving car, the cop should have to prove distraction before writing a ticket (fail to get moving for a green light for example).

It must have been last Saturday or Sunday. I was driving around and can't remember what time it was on C-Fax, but it was a Dam good interview.  This retired COP even took it to the TOP Brass of the RCMP for BC and they refused to acknowledge him. and this guy was actually HEAD of traffic for years.. He spoke all about it in the interview. One of the best interviews I've heard on C-Fax since they got butt hurt and fired Ian Jessop.  Best bet is to send C-fax an e-mail and ask them

Edited by Star Dust, 09 February 2018 - 11:53 PM.

#637 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:26 AM

While I agree it is excessive for at a red light I never understood why people need to have their phone out at a red light. I've always just put my phone in my pocket and left it there while driving. If I need a GPS I set it before I leave or pull over.

#638 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:32 AM

Folks lie about the cause of accidents. I ran into a colleague just the other day who admitted he was using his phone and smashed into a truck.

Distracted driving is anything related to not looking at the road ahead of you. Like shoulder checking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#639 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

Last weekend I was listening to an Excellent interview on C-Fax with a retried police officer who is against ticketing cell phone users while at red lights etc.  Boy, you should have heard the interview, and the statistics he pulled up to PROVE that the actual amount of deaths in BC Caused directly by cell phone use distraction is actually extremely LOW in comparison to all the other kinds of distracted driving accidents.

You see, distracted driving is a definition this retired cop wants to change in BC Laws because it involves too many aspects. Things such as eating while driving, looking down to change the station on your radio, reaching over to grab your cup of coffee from the coffee holder etc.  And he gave stats on how many accidents in BC were caused by alternative forms of distracted driving other then cell phone use, and they out-numbered the accidents caused by cell phone distraction by quite a bit.

Great interview.  And I hope he is able to get through to our Minister of Transportation.

I heard that interview. The guy was a career traffic cop, who worked for several jurisdictions over his career. I didn't find him particularly credible. Strangely enough he now works for a law firm that defends people charged with MVA offences. Red flag to me. Can't remember exactly when it was.

#640 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

The guy seemed to have the stats.  I'm unclear what his point was exactly though.  I'd guess that anyone that checks their cellphone at a red light is also more likely to check it while rolling.  Unless you are a dispatched delivery driver I'm unclear why you need to check it so often.  And in that case, have a nice big dash display. 

bmw-connecteddrive-reads-e-mail-via-blue   

And Mike is right, who is going to admit to using a phone after a crash, and then get hit with more penalties?   

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 February 2018 - 08:48 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users