BUILT
The Clive
Uses: rental, condo
Address: 1510 Clive Drive
Municipality: Oak Bay
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
The Clive is a three storey purpose-built rental complex situated on a site formerly occupied by a two storey,... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Clive on Citified.ca
Photo

[Oak Bay] The Clive | Rentals | 3-storeys | Built - completed in 2015

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

the context
http://goo.gl/maps/6dWiE

Proposal to build apartments sparks oppostion in Oak Bay

Bill Cleverley / Times Colonist
January 24, 2014 09:43 PM

A controversial proposal to build a 17-unit rental apartment building in Oak Bay will likely go to public hearing in March.

“I don’t think there’s been any kind of multiple-family dwelling proposal in Oak Bay over the last 20 years that hasn’t been controversial on some kind of level,” said Mayor Nils Jensen.

A three-storey building at 1510 Clive Dr./2280 Oak Bay Ave. is being proposed by the JN Development Group.

If approved, it would replace a two-storey, eight-unit apartment at 2280 Oak Bay Ave.

It would also be the first rental apartment project in the municipality “in decades,” Jensen said.

But the proposed change is not without critics.

Eric Wood Zhelka, of the citizen’s group Oak Bay Watch, said the proposal “is beyond the pale” of what’s appropriate for Oak Bay.

http://www.timescolo...ak-bay-1.801600
  • Mixed365 likes this

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

You know you've got a problem in your municipality when the mayor says:

“I don’t think there’s been any kind of multiple-family dwelling proposal in Oak Bay over the last 20 years that hasn’t been controversial on some kind of level"

• Mixed365 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

Wood Zhelka said the well-designed, LEED-certified building would be perfectly suited to downtown Victoria — but is out of scope for Oak Bay.

“It is cart before the horse,” he said. “The OCP [Official Community Plan] has not been changed. This does not fit anywhere in any of the existing OCP or zoning requirements or parking or anything like that.”

Although the proposed building is only a metre taller than the existing apartment, the developer is seeking a number of variances to required setbacks. Instead of the 9.14-metre minimum front setback, 4.78 metres is proposed; in the rear the requested setback is 3.03 metres compared to the required 9.14 metres; the exterior side setback would be reduced to 2.88 metres from the required 9.14 metres; and the interior side setback would be 2.21 metres, not the required 6.00 metres.

Some critics worry that if the variances are granted, the Clive building would almost fill the whole 1116-square-metre lot.

“The result of the reduced setbacks would create a building with much reduced green space, very close to the neighbours and the public side walks; with an inevitable increase in traffic and parking problems,” says the Friends of Oak Bay Neighbourhoods website.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.bpz9HR8D.dpuf

That's just humorous stuff.  People LIKE the village because the storefronts have no setbacks.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

I wish these ultra NIMBY groups would stop calling themselves "friends of this & that". Their irrational fear of change makes them nobody's friend. Is it just me or does our region seem to attract a larger percentage of these loons?

• jonny and Mixed365 like this

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

I can't think of any reason why someone would want to demolish this thing of beauty in the heart of Oak Bay Village.  It's just so fitting for the neighbourhood. 

The Clive (Custom).JPG

:confused:

• Bingo likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

before & after, which the TC unhelpfully left out

before_f840x559_1357533230.jpg

2013-11-14-after.jpg

new-before-2_f410x182_1381098042.jpg

2013-11-14-proposed-2(1).jpg

new-before-3_f410x263_1381098042.jpg

2013-11-14-proposed-3.jpg

new-before-4_f410x182_1381098041.jpg

2013-11-14-proposed-4.jpg

http://www.theclive.ca/
  • Mixed365 likes this

#7 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

I like what's there better.

• Bingo likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

With the removal of the ugly retaining wall at the corner of Oak Bay & Clive, the public realm is actually being increased with this project. I am at a loss as to what drives these NIMBYs.

• sebberry likes this

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Ya I wonder if they show people the before and after before they ask them to sign the petition.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

the clive rendering.jpg

the clive rendering 2.jpg

The Clive is a 17 unit rental at 1510 Clive Street in Oak Bay. Architect is Cascadia Architects.

Website

The Clive redevelopment proposal is to build a new, three-storey, LEED® certified rental apartment with 17 units, replacing an aging, 8-unit building of no historic value. The Clive redevelopment responds directly to all the key criteria that organizations such as Canada Green Building Council (LEED) and SmartGrowth BC identify as necessary to create sustainable, healthy communities for future generations. These are just some of the key reasons to support the redevelopment of the Clive:

- Provides more rental opportunities in Oak Bay. Not only does this include the renewal of the existing 8 aging and inaccessible rental units, but also adds 9 more units, for a total of 17 fully accessible, energy efficient, LEED® certified rental units for Oak Bay.

- Accessibility means mobility for the elderly, those with disabilities or dependent on scooters, and young families with strollers. The addition of an elevator and covered parking creates rental options for everyone.
Improves the pedestrian walkway and frontage on Oak Bay Ave. This includes removing the concrete retaining wall, widening the sidewalk and undergrounding the overhead wires. These aesthetic changes also improve visibility and pedestrian safety at the corner of

- Oak Bay Ave and Clive Drive. Similarly, improved streetscape and increased landscaping along Clive Drive will also be part of the beautification process.

- Features LEED certified sustainable design and construction elements such as on-site stormwater retention and management to reduce the infrastructure load. Residents will have automatic membership in the car share co-op at Monterey Center and access to a secured, heated bike room at street level.

- Scored an 89 out of 100 on Walk Score’s website. Located next to Ottavio’s Italian Bakery & Delicatessen, the building’s proximity to the Village is a realistic location for residents to adopt a car-free lifestyle.

- A manageable and appropriate increase in the population base supporting Oak Bay and Oak Bay businesses. 11 additional units is an incremental but welcome and necessary increase to Oak Bay’s tax base, creating purchasing power and economic benefits.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

The owner should have removed the stylized Clive sign from the building and let the paint go a bit sappy over the last two years to make the current building less appealing.

Anyway, this goes to hearing tomorrow.

• Mixed365 likes this

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

And NIMBY-ism lives on... http://www.timescolo...sition-1.888765

#13 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

I bet this is what the people in Oak Bay don't like, the increased mass at the rear

new-before-4_f410x182_1381098041.jpg

2013-11-14-proposed-4.jpg

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

^ The "people of Oak Bay" or the well less than 1% of them that would ever go up Clive Street in a year?

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Not that anyone will admit to this, but it probably has to do with increased rentals. We're Oak Bay...no one rents here. :whyme:

• AllseeingEye likes this

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

^ The "people of Oak Bay" or the well less than 1% of them that would ever go up Clive Street in a year?

Not even a hand-full, as it is a dead-end street.

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Not that anyone will admit to this, but it probably has to do with increased rentals. We're Oak Bay...no one rents here. :whyme:

There are many rental apartments, as well as basement suites in Oak Bay. I have lived in both.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:07 AM

Clive was approved in a 6-1 vote, with about 46 speakers for and against.

• Nparker, sebberry, Bingo and 1 other like this

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

Part of the approval is a "housing agreement" that says only so many cars can be owned by tenants of the building, ie. of the 17 suites, they can have 12 cars or something (I don't know actual numbers).  I'm not clear how that is enforced etc.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Clive was approved in a 6-1 vote, with about 46 speakers for and against.

Sanity prevails. 

• Mixed365 likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users