BUILT
Azzurro
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1950 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Azzurro is a seven storey, mixed-use affordable rental and commercial building developed by the Greater Victor... (view full profile)
Learn more about Azzurro on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Azzurro | Rentals, commercial | 7-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:47 PM

Yes, exactly, that's a part of it, but normal workforce laws still apply just as they do with every other non-unionized position.

Yes, in theory, but not in practice.  Non-union workers are not often, for example, paid extra time for every hour they work over 40 in a week, which is legislated.

They work an extra 6 hours on a Saturday at Townline, they are not getting time and a half.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:12 PM

They get whatever the laws require they get.

Unless you know that Townline is breaking labour laws I don't think assuming they are is to insinuate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

They get whatever the laws require they get.

Unless you know that Townline is breaking labour laws I don't think assuming they are is to insinuate.

I'm sure Townline isn't breaking the law.  But I'm sure the workers are not getting the extra overtime pay.  They are mostly subcontractors I'd assume.  And they might get bonused out in other ways.  It's all good, two willing parties to the arrangement, suits me.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

Ok, so to clarify you're hypothesizing.

For the record none of us know what agreements are in place between Townline and a slew of sub contractors amd sub trades.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

For the record none of us know what agreements are in place between Townline and a slew of sub contractors amd sub trades.

Correct.  But I know dozens of guys in the construction trade here in town (do not know if any currently work on Townline projects).  They don't get overtime.

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:57 PM

Do you know who they work for?

Know it all.

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

Do you know who they work for?

Most of them, yes.  They work for various sub-trades.   Roofers, concrete guys, framers, finishing carpenters, flooring, tiling contractors etc.

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

But I mean nothing against Townline here.  I've worked with them a few times, nothing but professional in my dealings.

Sub-trades have other programs with their employees to make sure all is well for all parties.

#109 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

A self-erecting tower crane is going up at this site today.

Attempted to get video but there was a delay due to technical difficulties with the erection re: an electrical issue

#110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

This is a very slow moving project.

#111 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

Some of the delays were due to contaminated soil from buried fuel storage tanks from the gas station that used to be at the corner now housing a car stereo shop

#112 Victoria Contractor

Victoria Contractor
  • Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

Regardless this job is moving at a pathetic pace.  Further for a government funded project, it was given to Knappett without any public tendering

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:55 AM

January 27th, the day the crane was setup on-site.

Azzurro-January-27-2016a.jpg

Know it all.

#114 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

#115 Victoria Contractor

Victoria Contractor
  • Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

Wow, I love the tonka toys, let me know if they need a real contractor to take over

• Nparker likes this

#116 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

The Janion went up with one of these and recently two Condos in Langford whats the problem

#117 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

Looks like it's pointed the wrong way.

#118 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:31 PM

well it would be extremely difficult for it to pick something up from the Blanshard St frontage road if it were point the opposite direction

• nagel likes this

#119 Victoria Contractor

Victoria Contractor
  • Banned
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

The Janion went up with one of these and recently two Condos in Langford whats the problem

Tiny capacity compared to a real hammerhead.  Its like going to the lumberyard in your Honda Civic and wondering why the guy next to you has ten times more material in his truck

• Mike K. likes this

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:23 PM

How do the rental rates compare between the two different types of cranes?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users