BUILT
Azzurro
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1950 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Azzurro is a seven storey, mixed-use affordable rental and commercial building developed by the Greater Victor... (view full profile)
Learn more about Azzurro on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Azzurro | Rentals, commercial | 7-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#201 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

What was the final time line from shovel in the ground to completion it seemed like 3 years

I think both Hudson Walks were started and completed in this time.

#202 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

$1600 for a one bedroom! Link here: https://victoria.cra...6311101852.html

Attached Images

• Capture.JPG

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#203 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:51 AM

I gotta say, $1600 seems pretty high for what is being offered. Heck, it doesn't even have insuite laundry.

• Rob Randall and Mattjvd like this

#204 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

I gotta say, $1600 seems pretty high for what is being offered. Heck, it doesn't even have insuite laundry.

Agreed, couldn't you get a higher-end one bedroom across the street at Townline's building for the same price?
  • Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

I believe you could. I know that a top-floor, 16-storey ~400 sq. ft. studio facing south was recently available and it went for $1,510. In-suite washer dryer, full mid-range appliance package (it looks like Azzurro does not provide a microwave and the appliances are entry-range) and mid-range finishings with a sizeable balcony (the balcony is approximately 10'x2.5 or 3').

• Mattjvd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#206 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

Agreed, couldn't you get a higher-end one bedroom across the street at Townline's building for the same price?

Here is what is currently advertised on Craigslist for 1BR in Hudson Mews:

Sizes: between approximately 565 and 641 square feet.
Rent rates: between $1,350,00 and $1,450.00 per month.
Rates depend on the suite size, condition and location.

Suites in Hudson Mews feature all the amenities of modern living. You will enjoy convenient layouts, nice finishes and other features:
- Open concept kitchen and living room. 
- Beautiful black appliances including built-in microwave and dishwasher.
- Vinyl plank flooring throughout.
- Large windows with window coverings.
- In-suite washer and dryer.
- Large balconies with nice views of the city or the beautiful courtyard.
- Secure fob access system in the building.
- Storage lockers are available for rent for $25.00 per month. 
- Underground parking stalls area available for rent for $150.00 per month
- Bike racks are available free of charge on a first come first serve basis.

Utilities that are not included in rent:
Hydro (including suite heating), Internet, Phone, TV, etc.

Hot & cold water are included in rent.

This is a Pet friendly and 100% non-smoking building with an on-site manager. One pet is permitted with pet deposit. One-year lease required.

https://victoria.craigslist.ca/apa/d/beautiful-one-bedroom-for/6279903470.html

• Mattjvd likes this

#207 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

^ And there's a 1BR at the Union available for $1450. Pricing of Azzurro makes no sense at all! 

• jonny likes this

#208 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:36 PM

Here is what is currently advertised on Craigslist for 1BR in Hudson Mews:

Sizes: between approximately 565 and 641 square feet.
Rent rates: between $1,350,00 and $1,450.00 per month.
Rates depend on the suite size, condition and location.

Suites in Hudson Mews feature all the amenities of modern living. You will enjoy convenient layouts, nice finishes and other features:
- Open concept kitchen and living room.
- Beautiful black appliances including built-in microwave and dishwasher.
- Vinyl plank flooring throughout.
- Large windows with window coverings.
- In-suite washer and dryer.
- Large balconies with nice views of the city or the beautiful courtyard.
- Secure fob access system in the building.
- Storage lockers are available for rent for $25.00 per month.
- Underground parking stalls area available for rent for $150.00 per month
- Bike racks are available free of charge on a first come first serve basis.

Utilities that are not included in rent:
Hydro (including suite heating), Internet, Phone, TV, etc.

Hot & cold water are included in rent.

This is a Pet friendly and 100% non-smoking building with an on-site manager. One pet is permitted with pet deposit. One-year lease required.

https://victoria.craigslist.ca/apa/d/beautiful-one-bedroom-for/6279903470.html

Thanks for the info and link

#209 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

Some interesting numbers, below.

CoV defines Affordable Rental Housing as not costing more than 30% of household income, so Azzurro would be deemed "Affordable Rental Housing" for a family with a household income above $72,000. Median household income was $77,820 in the last census. That said, Victoria's Affordable Housing Strategy is focused on families in the $18,147 to $57,772 income range, far below the market Azzurro seems to be chasing. For reference, "Affordable" in this case would be $453-1,444/mo. By that metric, Hudson Mews and Union could both qualify as Affordable Rental Housing under the Strategy.

• Nparker likes this

#210 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

465-480 feet too.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#211 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

The rental development society says that 43 units in the Azzurro would be for low-income residents and 22 for moderate-income with rental rates to be set at no more than 30 per cent of household income.

The proposal includes underground parking for 27 vehicles to be accessed off Discovery Street. Twenty spaces would be available for residents; two for visitors and seven for commercial uses.

The society planned to provide Car Share Co-op memberships to all units, provide free bus passes to residents for a year and contribute $20,000 to a transportation fund to provide financial assistance to residents who use the car share or rent or buy bicycles.

After an earlier review of the project, councillors had asked that the advisory design panel review the proposal and that consideration be given to providing tenants with bus passes for five years instead of just one.

But the society said that would cost $66,300 a year — an estimated $331,500 over five years — and would be prohibitively expensive. After negotiating with city staff, it was decided to suggest the $20,000 transportation fund instead.

Young also raised concerns about the lack of parking.

“To me, I am still troubled by the suggestion that it can do with such a minimal amount of residential parking,” Young said.

Several councillors and Mayor Dean Fortin said they were pleased with design changes made in the wake of the review by the design panel.

He also said it’s important to advance 65 units of affordable housing.

“That’s important to our community,” Fortin said.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#212 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

Funding:

Project partners and funding include:

• The B.C. government is arranging $14.8 million in construction financing.
  • The City of Victoria will provide $544,000.
  • The Capital Regional District’s Regional Housing Trust Fund will provide $495,000.
  • The Greater Victoria Rental Development Society is providing $600,000 and $331,000 in development costs for the project.

https://webcache.goo...n&ct=clnk&gl=ca

#213 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

Bottom line, we have a building with basic finishing renting for top dollar. I'm not sure what the point of this experiment was.

• Nparker, jonny and Kungsberg like this

#214 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

Bottom line, we have a building with basic finishing renting for top dollar. I'm not sure what the point of this experiment was.

The ad says nothing of income testing, so how does that work?

#215 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

^If you're wearing pleated slacks from Winners, you're in.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and jonny like this

#216 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

Oh, I did not originally see it's also $200/mo. extra if you want parking.

#217 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

I guess it all depends on your perspective and what you are used to; the guy in the workstation opposite from me just moved here from Seattle to work at our firm and wound up moving into a 7th floor 1 bedroom unit in Azzuro - facing west and no deck. Too bad!

Anyway in response to my question the other day he thinks its a steal: at my clearly incredulous look he pointed out that the average 1 bedroom unit in Seattle is currently $2100 US (~ $2500 CDN) per month, a 4% increase over 2016. Doesn't have or need a car, is single, and loves the fact he can walk anywhere downtown - < than ten minutes to the office - and doesn't seem fussed about the apparently sparse amenities or laundry facilities. To each their own...

#218 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

...the guy in the workstation opposite from me just moved here from Seattle to work at our firm and wound up moving into a 7th floor 1 bedroom unit in Azzuro ....he thinks it's a steal... the average 1 bedroom unit in Seattle is currently $2100 US...

Were there no available units in Hudson Walk I or II?

I sort of wish I could rent out my 2 bedroom, 900 square foot condo - with stainless steel appliances, granite counters, in suite laundry, 2 fireplaces and plank flooring. It looks like I could easily get 2K/month, far more than my mortgage & strata fees. Of course if I did rent it, I'd be homeless.

• sebberry likes this

#219 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

I guess it all depends on your perspective and what you are used to; the guy in the workstation opposite from me just moved here from Seattle to work at our firm and wound up moving into a 7th floor 1 bedroom unit in Azzuro - facing west and no deck. Too bad!

Anyway in response to my question the other day he thinks its a steal: at my clearly incredulous look he pointed out that the average 1 bedroom unit in Seattle is currently $2100 US (~ $2500 CDN) per month, a 4% increase over 2016. Doesn't have or need a car, is single, and loves the fact he can walk anywhere downtown - < than ten minutes to the office - and doesn't seem fussed about the apparently sparse amenities or laundry facilities. To each their own...

That's all fine I guess.  But what did us local taxpayers get for our $1M contribution towards this thing?

• Kungsberg likes this

#220 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

That's all fine I guess.  But what did us local taxpayers get for our $1M contribution towards this thing?

That of course is another discussion - based on Matt's early days impressions it certainly isn't a refuge for street people thereby making them "ex"-street people. Too pricey for that. The other tenants like him appear to be mostly of the white-ish collar downtown office variety folk.

Perhaps a question you could pose to Her Honor whenever you have your 1-to-1 fireside chat....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 18 September 2017 - 07:35 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users