BUILT
Azzurro
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1950 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Azzurro is a seven storey, mixed-use affordable rental and commercial building developed by the Greater Victor... (view full profile)
Learn more about Azzurro on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Azzurro | Rentals, commercial | 7-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:37 AM

Gotta hand it to GVRDS. The project might be quite a ways behind schedule, or at least inching along compared to other projects, but the light display they've installed is pretty cool.

Azzurro-Victoria-BC-night-lights.jpg

A dazzling art installation at a nearly completed affordable rental development on Blanshard Street at Caledonia Avenue is a feast for the eyes.

Affordable rental dev adds more than housing to downtown Victoria

http://victoria.citi...ntown-victoria/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#162 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

This is a cool way to dress up an otherwise blank wall, but between this and the giant SOFMC sign, the folks on the north side of HW2 are going to need to keep their blinds and other window coverings pulled closed every night.

#163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:50 AM

The intensity isn't all that bad, actually, especially when you compare it to the SOFMC screens. Those are insane. 

Townline will be installing blackout blinds in the HW2 units that face in that direction. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#164 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

This is a cool way to dress up an otherwise blank wall, but between this and the giant SOFMC sign, the folks on the north side of HW2 are going to need to keep their blinds and other window coverings pulled closed every night.

I am sure that the leds are in compliance with the City's signage bylaws!

#165 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

...Townline will be installing blackout blinds in the HW2 units that face in that direction. 

That only makes sense. I am 2 blocks away from the SOFMC and my bedroom window faces perpendicular to the sign, but even I can see the flashing of the lights and the way the north and east facades of HW2 are illuminated.

#166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

Oh yeah, it's crazy. Hudson Mews gets all illuminated when a white ad suddenly appears. That the City has no teeth here is so odd.

Know it all.

#167 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

...That the City has no teeth here is so odd.

Agreed.

#168 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

I am sure that the leds are in compliance with the City's signage bylaws!

I am sure that this is considered a "public art contribution," so it can skirt the bylaw. Gotta love technicalities and loopholes!

#169 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

Methinks there's no need for this sort of illumination to be particularly intense/annoying. The more subtle that it is, the more pleasant that it will be. A faint coloured glow can actually be very relaxing.

#170 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

I am sure that this is considered a "public art contribution," so it can skirt the bylaw. Gotta love technicalities and loopholes!

I don't know, the whole story is confusing. Is it actually part of the public art component? Or just a temporary pretty decoration? Was it really the creation of an artist, or was it thrown together by an architect or ordered online?

#171 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

Oh yeah, it's crazy. Hudson Mews gets all illuminated when a white ad suddenly appears. That the City has no teeth here is so odd.

The City has teeth in the form of bylaw enforcement at $250 a day. They just choose not to enforce bylaws they don't want to.

I don't know if there is a permit in place here or if the rules have changed, but the City used to be very strict on signage and anything that blinked, moved or was electronically controlled need to follow certain rules and be permitted.

#172 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

Mods:  let's update the thread status to 'Under Construction.'  :banana:

#173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

Lol. Ok.

Know it all.

#174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

The City has teeth in the form of bylaw enforcement at $250 a day. They just choose not to enforce bylaws they don't want to...

True that. Pot shops get a pass, dogs on door steps are verboten.

#175 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:15 PM

I don't know if there are any plans for more housing along that side of Blanshard but whatever they put there will have great views to the west. The land slopes away nicely there giving great views of the Inner Harbour and Vic West even for people on the 2nd floor. 

• Nparker likes this

#176 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

I don't know if there are any plans for more housing along that side of Blanshard but whatever they put there will have great views to the west. The land slopes away nicely there giving great views of the Inner Harbour and Vic West even for people on the 2nd floor. 

I never thought of that, but you're totally right. They must see quite the sunset. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#177 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:32 PM

If it was twice as tall we might be able to see it above the trees on Blanchard ... now I have to wait till fall !!!

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#178 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

If it was twice as tall we might be able to see it above the trees on Blanchard ... 

It never ceases to amaze me that trees are the standard by which "tall" buildings are measured in this region.  :whyme:  World class city we are not.

Other than cost of construction, I can see no logical reason why this building couldn't have been twice as tall in this location.

• 2F2R likes this

#179 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

I suppose this development is just about done...

#180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

I'm very curious to see what the starting rents will be.

The price quoted when the project was making its way through the municipal process was for apartments priced from $795 to $950.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users