Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3741 replies to this topic

#2301 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

So even when females make advances in non-traditional industries, they still end up "working for the Mann".  Sigh...

Only to be dumped.

#2302 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

I had some garden soil delivered a few years back by a female dump truck driver.  Name of the company was "Dumped By A Girl". I chose them because they had a small truck that could back into my back yard. The clever name didn't hurt either.

• Nparker likes this

#2303 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

In December, staff presented mayor and council with designs for the bi-directional Fort Street bike lane, as part of the city’s multi-million-dollar project to implement an all ages cycling network by 2018. The first 1.2-kilometre protected bi-directional bike lane is currently being built along Pandora Avenue from Cook to Store streets and is expected to be complete by the spring.

The two-way bike lanes proposed for Fort Street would see the addition of raised medians, on-street bike parking, bollards and street furnishings to provide a protective barrier for users. However, the lane would bring the traffic down from two lanes to one between the 500 and 600 blocks on Fort, while 30 parking spots are expected to be lost as well.

“You take the street down to one lane, how does The Keg get supplied? How does Koto get supplied? Ourselves? To me, that’s the number one piece,” said Gillespie, noting he’s also expressed concern about loss of business while the lane is being constructed, noting he relies heavily on tourists in the downtown core in the summer months.

Gillespie has since started a petition calling on the city to put the brakes on the project until data can be collected from the bike lanes currently being built on Pandora Avenue on rider usage and its affect on businesses.

More than 100 business and property owners have signed the petition, which Gillespie hopes to present to council soon.

Robert Simon, who owns a business in the 600-block of Fort Street, is one of the people who signed the petition. He said the high volume of traffic that uses the corridor, such as shuttle services, double decker and transit buses, as well as people parallel parking on the street will create a bottle neck if the street is reduced to single lane lane traffic. That congestion could pose a problem should an emergency vehicle need to get by, he said.

http://www.vicnews.c.../412687953.html

#2304 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

New crosswalk going in from Our Place to the Legal drug store across the street

#2305 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

And yet, I imagine most of the people from Our Place will still stumble out and cross Pandora wherever and whenever they like.  :wacko:

#2306 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

That's the funny part of the story

You can't teach an old crackhead new tricks
  • Nparker likes this

#2307 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

And yet, I imagine most of the people from Our Place will still stumble out and cross Pandora wherever and whenever they like.  :wacko:

Yet people everywhere fight for crosswalks and lights to keep children and adults safe sometimes for years without success.
A new candy store goes in across the street bam it's done .
I say it not enough to keep them safe how about a 24hr crossing guard or a closed in run so they don't get hurt going to spend there allowance.
  • Midnightly and Awaiting Juno like this

#2308 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

WTF?! Is this something you've heard or something you have seen?

We went through this back in 2012. Engineering decided it was a bad idea and Thornton-Joe worried that a crosswalk at that location could actually backfire by giving crossers a false sense of security. Stupid idea.

What happened?

#2309 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

...Is this something you've heard or something you have seen?...

I can take a walk past there on my break in an hour or so and report back if I see any signs of crosswalk activity

#2310 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

I can take a walk past there on my break in an hour or so

OK, but don't take too long, those Big Macs aren't going to flip themselves.

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#2311 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

saw it part of the bike lane thing with mid block crosswalks

#2312 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

...and NParker was never heard from again.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2313 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:21 PM

WTF?! Is this something you've heard or something you have seen?

giving crossers a false sense of security. Stupid idea.

I hit one a few  years ago ....thankfully I hit here in front of about 12 vicpd who were standing nearby.

I was free to go

#2314 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

...and NParker was never heard from again.

I survived.

I can confirm HP's message regarding the construction of a crosswalk in the mid-900 block of Pandora. Notice the overhead pedestrian crossing light that has recently been erected.

cross.jpg

#2315 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

OK, but don't take too long, those Big Macs aren't going to flip themselves.

I am on deep fryer duty today.

#2316 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

Here is a photo I took earlier where it is easy to see

Edited by HB, 17 February 2017 - 03:55 PM.

#2317 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

Here is a photo I took earlier where it is easy to see...

You are more daring than I am - I almost never walk on the south side of Pandora.  :eek:

#2318 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

I'm just aware of my surroundings when I choose to walk on that side.  It's pretty safe.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2319 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Times Colonist, 2012:

Coun. Charlayne Thornton-Joe wondered whether a crosswalk might give pedestrians a false sense of security. Quote "When there's no crosswalk and someone is crossing, they are more apt to keep an eye out for traffic and proceed a little more carefully. I think there's been some evidence found - [that] when there's a crosswalk, people just walk out expecting traffic to stop," Thornton-Joe said.

[...]

"What's occurring there right now is there's a flow of traffic along Pandora Avenue and then the light changes at Vancouver Street and holds up the traffic. There's a long gap in traffic that allows pedestrians to cross the street," [said] Brad Dellebuur, the city's manager of transportation and infrastructure design

[...]

A crosswalk could cost anywhere between a couple of thousand dollars up to $100,000 for something lit with pedestrian activation lights, he said.

Times Colonist 2016:

A number of crosswalks on Pandora Avenue will also be upgraded as part of the citys Biketoria project to construct eight bike corridors.

There's significant interest in the community around the issue of crosswalks, said Brad Dellebuur, the citys assistant director of transportation

Sounds like Brad had a change of heart.

Edited by Rob Randall, 17 February 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#2320 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

^ Sounds like Brad doesn't have the guts to stand by his convictions.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)