Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2341 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

....If you're watching crossings and the sidewalks for approaching pedestrians you will never have an issue...

This. All too often drivers are only looking for other approaching vehicles and not for pedestrians. I see this a lot with drivers making right turns that take them into an active crosswalk. They look to their left for oncoming cars but not towards the right for what might be ahead of them in the crosswalk.

#2342 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

...Brown coat guy is distracted not by a phone...

That's not a fair example. Those "puzzle" pieces are known to cause hallucinatory effects on anyone within a few metres of them.

#2343 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, I've seen that with regularity where folks will just linger at a pedestrian crossing. Really? That's the best place for you to stop?

A pedestrian was struck earlier in the week and is in serious condition. I think it was on Quadra? Dark clothing, sudden jolt out into the street and wham.

Quadra near Cloverdale and was crossing NOT in a crosswalk.

#2344 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

Quadra near Cloverdale and was crossing NOT in a crosswalk.

Inverness. There is a crosswalk there.

#2345 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:34 AM

even if there is not a marked crosswalk any intersection where one road comes to another is a legal place to cross a road. So many drivers are clueless to that fact

• Nparker, Daveyboy, nagel and 1 other like this

#2346 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

Inverness. There is a crosswalk there.

Quadra near Cloverdale and NOT in the crosswalk

She had witnessed the accident about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the 3400 block of Quadra Street near Cloverdale Avenue.

Muller huddled into her coat while standing on the sidewalk later and recounted what had happened.

The man was taken to Victoria General Hospital after being struck by a car heading northbound on Quadra Street.

The accident happened in front of a bus stop on Quadra Street and there were a number of witnesses, Zielinski said.

“Some of the witnesses indicated to us that he may have been trying to cross the road.

It is between marked crosswalks. But it is a distance from the closest crosswalk.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.QjlXF81l.dpuf

#2347 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

That is hardly conclusive and weak...

"some witnesses indicated "

"may have been trying to cross road"

ask the witnesses what colour jacket he was wearing and you'll get many answers all different colours

#2348 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

Oh I know that spot. Used to be my bus spot. I jaywalked it every time. Definitely not safe.

#2349 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

The knowledge about what is or is not a crosswalk is really lousy among both pedestrians and drivers - pedestrians wave through when they shouldn't and drivers blow past when they shouldn't.  For the most part it doesn't result in harm, but when it does - well it's really terrible.  Here's a good video blog on crosswalks in BC: https://youtu.be/H_k9hwfWEuI

• jonny likes this

#2350 Karma2017

Karma2017
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

Perhaps this should be clarified "an addict with a sever mental health problem, or an addict who is currently high on an illegal drug" - there are many addicts, some are very rational and logical, they just tend to be those addicted to things other than illegal drugs and without concurrent psychosis.

if you are that screwed up on drugs you can't push a simple button and walk an extra FIFTEEN FEET to the crosswalks ALREADY at Pandora and Quadra St and Pandora and Vancouver, you need to be picked up by the cops and LOCKED UP til you sober up, just like they do with mostly working contributing members of society after going too far on a night out (ironically)...oh but WHY doesn't that happen??? Because the cops want all their rat informants on the streets finding all the info they can for them...

#2351 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

So office people walking across a street from an office building to a lunch place not in a crosswalk should be locked up?

• http likes this

#2352 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:54 AM

Yeah, last I checked Pandora isn't dedicated to the homeless. Other people actually do walk it, and the distance between Quadra and Vancouver is too long without a ped crossing in an urban environment. Jaywalking on this stretch is very high and no it's not all homeless people.

#2353 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

Mid block crosswalks increase carbon emissions.

There :)

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2354 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

... the distance between Quadra and Vancouver is too long without a ped crossing in an urban environment...

Seriously? One block is too far to walk to cross a street? i'm a pretty lazy SOB, but I can still manage to avoid j-walking 99.9% of the time.

#2355 Jenn P

Jenn P
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

That's not a fair example. Those "puzzle" pieces are known to cause hallucinatory effects on anyone within a few metres of them.

Ha. I don't think it was the puzzle pieces.😀

#2356 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

Seriously? One block is too far to walk to cross a street? i'm a pretty lazy SOB, but I can still manage to avoid j-walking 99.9% of the time.

Quadra to Vancouver is a looooooooong block. Probably like 300 meters.

#2357 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

Quadra to Vancouver is a looooooooong block. Probably like 300 meters.

Have mercy!

#2358 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:16 AM

There will be a pedestrian crossing at least every 100 metres on Fort Street after it gets done for bike lanes.  Includes 3 new mid-block crossings for each of the easternmost blocks and potentially a raised crossing by the Bay Centre Starbucks (to calm traffic).

#2359 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

There will be a pedestrian crossing at least every 100 metres on Fort Street after it gets done for bike lanes...

In other words, it is essentially being closed to vehicular traffic.

#2360 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

...Includes...potentially a raised crossing by the Bay Centre Starbucks (to calm traffic).

Good heavens, with the narrowing of the street for bike lanes and far more pedestrian crossings than currently exist, how much more "calming" does the traffic need?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users