Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2381 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

I was thinking the other day. Home depot should just be drive in. This way I can just drive around the store and never get out of my car.... 

Slegg is, the Sooke Road one.  I feel so wrong driving inside the building but you totally can so I do.

• Mike K. likes this

#2382 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

...I'm sure you've jaywalked the Jack Davis crossing a couple times in your life...

It's not j-walking if it's an intersection of 2 roads.

#2383 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

Slegg is, the Sooke Road one.  I feel so wrong driving inside the building but you totally can so I do.

That's true! We should be converting all our retail to this. Less need for sidewalks and parking. Just think of the infrastructure cost savings! 

#2384 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

That's true! We should be converting all our retail to this. Less need for sidewalks and parking. Just think of the infrastructure cost savings! 

2223053698_54a089d9ed.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2385 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gy44ax2Ylg

#2386 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

And if all cars were electric it might be so bad, but as soon as one guy brings his 1970's Ford truck in you've got some serious health problems for everyone.

Edited by nagel, 21 February 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#2387 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:27 PM

Yes Uptown Walmart should be drive in style someone already tried...however the escalator will get jammed with cars going up to the second level like shopping cars get jammed everyday

#2388 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

The difference in the CoV is Eng actually has the backing of the people (based on budget consultations)

I'm sorry but with the current council we all know those "consultations" are a joke.
they are about as indicative of public opinion as Lisa Helps facebook page
  • Nparker and rjag like this

#2389 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

Although two other entities collect gas tax in Victoria (BC Transit & the federal government), from the provincial perspective at least Gas Tax revenues don't cover operating expenses of the MoTI roadways, let alone capital costs or muni streets:

MoTIBudget2017.png

http://www.bcbudget....nistry/tran.pdf

#2390 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:29 PM

And those taxes didn't cover the local roads 50-60 years ago either when they were developing outlying areas of what is now the core yet they somehow were built with all underground services and not 1/2 of the properties to pay property taxes.

I'm glad that 50-60 years ago councils were of a different caliber than today otherwise there would be a serious conflict trying to fit 350,000 folks onto 8' wide goat tracks ;-)

#2391 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

The Saanich project along Lansdowne from Foul Bay to Shelbourne is still ongoing at a speed reminiscent of the JSB. Saanich website still states it to be complete fall 2016.

They still have to finish paving the trail/path section on Camosun campus and fix-up landscaping, as well redoing the NE street corner at the entrance to the campus.

#2392 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

I was thinking the other day. Home depot should just be drive in. This way I can just drive around the store and never get out of my car....

Why not open one in Victoria that will only sell to customers on bicycles? Nothing is more virtuous than picking up plywood, a BBQ, or top soil on a road bike wearing spandex.
  • Nparker likes this

#2393 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

I think those were considered 2 separate projects but I could be wrong.

#2394 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:57 PM

Why not open one in Victoria that will only sell to customers on bicycles? Nothing is more virtuous than picking up plywood, a BBQ, or top soil on a road bike wearing spandex.

Maybe not on a road bike but people have picked up some insane things on cargo bikes.  Sheet of drywall (8x4), lumber, mitre saws.

Top soil could work if it was bagged.

One time I went blackberry picking with my 3 kids and we brought a 6 foot stepladder with us on the bike.

#2395 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

The Saanich project along Lansdowne from Foul Bay to Shelbourne is still ongoing at a speed reminiscent of the JSB. Saanich website still states it to be complete fall 2016.

They still have to finish paving the trail/path section on Camosun campus and fix-up landscaping, as well redoing the NE street corner at the entrance to the campus.

This project required not one but two new right of way agreements - one with the school board and one with Camosun. Both took time to complete, hence why it appears to take a while.

• VicHockeyFan, thundergun and shoeflack like this

#2396 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

Didn't know that, thanks!

It would be nice if they updated their website to reflect that . Also, they've been under construction on the college campus for months so not sure that entirely explains it (if they needed the right of way to break ground).

#2397 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

We took two lounge chairs home on our electric bike.... We also took two kids to school in it.... 

Urban_Arrow_bakfiets_riding.jpg

#2398 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

https://news.gov.bc....RAN0039-000389#

The construction tender to extend the northbound bus lane along Douglas Street to Saanich Road has been posted on BC Bid. Work is anticipated to start this spring.

“I’m happy to see this key B.C. on the Move project moving forward to the tender phase,” said Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Todd Stone. “This extension to the northbound bus lane will reduce travel time for bus users on the busiest transit corridor in the Victoria region.”

When construction is complete from Tolmie Avenue to Saanich Road later this year, there will be continuous northbound transit priority from Fisgard Street to Uptown. Design work is continuing on the section that will run north from Saanich Road and tie into the future interchange at Admirals and McKenzie.

“The extended bus and bike-priority lanes on Douglas Street will improve on-time performance and make transit a more effective and efficient transportation option,” said Manuel Achadinha, president and CEO of BC Transit. “By reducing travel times, the existing bus and bike priority lanes have helped us better connect people and communities.”

The B.C. government is making record investments in modern, safe infrastructure projects throughout the province. In doing so, these construction projects are creating well-paying, family-supporting jobs. These investments are possible because of the fiscal plan of the B.C. government.

Quick Fact:

• The estimated total cost for the northbound bus lane from Tolmie Avenue to the McKenzie interchange is $10.05 million, with the Province contributing $5.425 million and the Government of Canada providing up to $4.625 million under the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF).

#2399 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

http://www.cheknews....ulation-285154/

GRIDLOCK 2020 Part 1: Number of cars in Greater Victoria increasing faster than population

• sebberry likes this

#2400 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

I would add to that CHEK story that "way" better transit is needed if they expect or hope to alleviate the traffic snarls which are now routine. I catch the bus daily on a major route (#14 Craigflower-UVic) and in a word the service blows, pure and simple.

Actual service rarely reflects posted schedules especially in the morning at the height of the rush hour. This morning was a perfect illustration.

At the stop nearest to me I can either hop on the 7:28 or 7:38 bus. In less than two months experience has already taught me not to rely on "posted" schedules. They're basically meaningless. This morning as I hit the corner of Craigflower and Arcadia, across the street and about 100 meters east from the bus stop at 7:32, I saw a #14 leaving and heading into town. Figuring it was the 7:28 that was 5 minutes late I thought "no problem" the next bus will be along in five minutes. Au contraire! It was in fact the 7:38 bus leaving 5 minutes early. So did the 7:48 bus come along next, as advertised? Nope. What about the 7:58 bus? Sure - and jammed to the gills and thus it sailed by our stop unable to pick us up.

Finally after standing at a stop on one of the busiest commute-routes in the system for over half an hour, I got on the 8:09 bus and would up being 5 minutes late for work when, if the system actually worked as advertised, I would've actually been there with nearly 20 minutes to spare. This is not atypical and is in fact quite commonplace. Hey Manny....your bus service sucks dude. Fix it......

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users