Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2421 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Houston has the largest freeways in the world and terrible congestion.

Vancouver has pretty much the same problems any major city has. In some ways its transportation infrastructure is worse than other cities, in other ways it's better. Vancouver's challenges have been exacerbated by geography and fast growth. Bridges are super expensive.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#2422 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

Houston has the largest freeways in the world and terrible congestion.

Vancouver has pretty much the same problems any major city has. In some ways its transportation infrastructure is worse than other cities, in other ways it's better. Vancouver's challenges have been exacerbated by geography and fast growth. Bridges are super expensive.

Geographical difficulties are the best problems to have because they force alternative solutions.

Transportation systems fail when there's a lack of alternative options.  When options are provided, peoples actions do change.

I used to drive into downtown Vancouver and stay at hotels there, paying far too much for parking and hotels as well as getting stuck in traffic.  Now I just drive from the ferry to hotels near River Rock, or bus to that point, stay there, and take the Canada Line in in less time than I could drive to downtown, at far less total cost and zero stress.

#2423 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

Oh it's bad. It's one of the worst on the continent. To travel between north Richmond and just across to North Van via the Lions Gate can take 1.5 hours during an average rush hour, which is insane considering the distance is only 20km.

It would take slightly over an hour using public transit and walking. It would be similar driving (via the Second Narrows).  1 1/2 hours would be a slow day. If you insisted on going through downtown on the way it would also be slower.

#2424 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

Travel from downtown Vancouver to White Rock-proper can take up to 2 hours during rush hour. Two hours! That's bewilderingly insane for a distance of less than 50km.

It's a city thing.  Look at Seattle. Lots of freeways but driving from downtown Seattle 50 km in any direction at rush hour is still going to take you a while. Probably not a lot shorter than the typical 1.5 hours to Whiterock from downtown Vancouver.

• rjag likes this

#2425 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

Driving into Manila from 45 km away from the City takes about 5 hours.

#2426 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

It's a city thing.  Look at Seattle. Lots of freeways but driving from downtown Seattle 50 km in any direction at rush hour is still going to take you a while. Probably not a lot shorter than the typical 1.5 hours to Whiterock from downtown Vancouver.

Seattle has lots of freeways and so do lots of other big US cities. And yet driving still isn't fast. Most recent widenings have been utter failures to do what they said they would do - remove traffic (Katy Fwy in Houston, I405 in LA for starters)

#2427 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

Highways are for getting from A-B when they are built driving times are not factored in because there are so many random variables

People are spoiled I suppose a 15 minute commute from Millstream to McKenzie is reasonable but Victorians with their sense of entitlement would complain about pretty much anything just to make their day complete.

• Nparker likes this

#2428 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

Not sure what routes you drive Mike but I've never had an issue commuting in Vancouver; the average one-way commute as of 2015 is just under 30 minutes - more than acceptable given the geography and distances, and volumes of traffic, involved. It isn't Victoria after all; the GVRD is geographically far larger with many more challenges (a major river, multiple bridge crossings, and a tunnel for starters) than Victoria drivers will ever experience. Then again I readily admit having lived there twice I know my way around better than most....

And if you think Richmond to North Vancouver or White Rock to Vancouver is bad you should try on Anaheim to Universal Studios-Hollywood for size; far less distance and last time I did it took me well over 2.5 hours, much of it sitting still "like lemmings in shiny metal boxes", to quote Sting. And not much fun in 105 F I should add. I've also driven in Houston - no thanks to that model either. Sure traffic moves ok but only because they've built a butt fugly concrete universe of elevated overpasses and highways wide enough to land a fleet of Airbus 380's on simultaneously. Looks like hell too....

• lanforod likes this

#2429 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

I made the mistake of driving from LA to Palm Springs on a Friday evening, once. Let me tell you, I won't be making that mistake ever again. That 90 minute drive took almost five freakin' hours.

• Nparker and nerka like this

#2430 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

However the examples noted above and other experiences go, they only apply to the planning in those locales. Sure we can learn lessons from them, but it in no way should negate the need for a serious study of our regions transportation needs from Sooke to Sidney and it should in no way be managed by any municipal politician.

The one thing I can guarantee here, our traffic problems will not resolve themselves and they will not be resolved at the municipal level as there is zero cohesiveness in that department when it comes to transit, transport, roads or even bike lanes. The Goose is about the only successful thing that has come out of any discussion in the last 30 years. 

• Nparker, dasmo and lanforod like this

#2431 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

However the examples noted above and other experiences go, they only apply to the planning in those locales. Sure we can learn lessons from them, but it in no way should negate the need for a serious study of our regions transportation needs from Sooke to Sidney and it should in no way be managed by any municipal politician.

The one thing I can guarantee here, our traffic problems will not resolve themselves and they will not be resolved at the municipal level as there is zero cohesiveness in that department when it comes to transit, transport, roads or even bike lanes. The Goose is about the only successful thing that has come out of any discussion in the last 30 years. 

You might be surprised we have the same issues with the Goose/Regional Trails.  It's a battle whether it's roads, highways or trails, and the real problem is they're not controlled by a well funded central agency.

• rjag likes this

#2432 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

http://www.vancouver...2912/story.html

The link is to a story in the Vancouver Sun that Vancouver has the worst traffic congestion in North America.

I travel to Vancouver once a week or two and can tell you that to me, the traffic seems much worse than even a year ago.  My trip from Coquitlam to VGH can take anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours.  Hard to plan what time to leave to be there for an appt.

Edited by GabriolaGirl, 08 March 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#2433 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

Stupid question, but why not just millennium line it to Cambie and then B-line to Willow or cab from Cambie.  I'm sure it's quicker on average and would cost you less. 

#2434 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

sorry, commericlal not cambie.

#2435 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

http://www.vancouver...2912/story.html

The link is to a story in the Vancouver Sun that Vancouver has the worst traffic congestion in North America.

I travel to Vancouver once a week or two and can tell you that to me, the traffic seems much worse than even a year ago.  My trip from Coquitlam to VGH can take anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours.  Hard to plan what time to leave to be there for an appt.

TomTom's index is garbage. Their methodology makes no sense. % difference between free flow and "congested" isn't a great measure because it fails to record how long somebody commutes, not does it look at all the non-driving commuters. City of Vancouver's planners comments are spot on - they basically ignore TomTom, Inrix and the other indicies of "congestion"

#2436 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

TomTom's index is garbage. Their methodology makes no sense. % difference between free flow and "congested" isn't a great measure because it fails to record how long somebody commutes, not does it look at all the non-driving commuters. City of Vancouver's planners comments are spot on - they basically ignore TomTom, Inrix and the other indicies of "congestion"

I think one of the challenges with the validity of Tom Tom's data is that they only - or typically at least - collect it exclusively from users of their GPS units. I highly doubt Vancouver is more congested than LA or Toronto. Purely at a guess I'd suggest anyone advocating that position hasn't sat (literally) in rush hour traffic on the 400-class highways in TO....

• Nparker and jonny like this

#2437 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

Stupid question, but why not just millennium line it to Cambie and then B-line to Willow or cab from Cambie.  I'm sure it's quicker on average and would cost you less. 

Because I'm a cancer patient with a low immune system & don't want to be subjected to the germy environment on public transportation.

• Matt R. likes this

#2438 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

Dammit, look what just happened. Going to Vancouver in a couple of days, good luck trying to get an ancient windshield like this replaced.

Happened on the TC Highway, a big rock flew off a dump truck.

17199199_10154183985101851_756526896_n.jpg

#2439 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Because I'm a cancer patient with a low immune system & don't want to be subjected to the germy environment on public transportation.

Hey GG, hope the cancer thing is going okay...God speed.
  • Mike K., sebberry, GabriolaGirl and 1 other like this

#2440 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

Dammit, look what just happened. Going to Vancouver in a couple of days, good luck trying to get an ancient windshield like this replaced.

Happened on the TC Highway, a big rock flew off a dump truck.

17199199_10154183985101851_756526896_n.jpg

if you got the plate number or company and unit number you can put in a claim and have them pay. Its called insecure load and you would have a good case . Did you speed up to get beside it to get the info?

Also it looks like a stone not a big rock hit it the impact spot is smaller than a big rock.

Good luck

Edited by HB, 09 March 2017 - 07:14 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users