• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2441 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:24 AM

Not sure what routes you drive Mike...

The exact routes I described in my post.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2442 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

The exact routes I described in my post.

Quote -

"......To get from Broadway to the north shore you have to cross through downtown Vancouver and its maze of stalled traffic, then you get onto the bridge, only to face further congestion because the darned thing was built as a two-lane crossing that only managed to have a third lane squeezed in...."

This tells me nothing; there are a multitude of routes "through downtown" to get to the bridge (by which I presume you are referring to the Lions Gate? There is another bridge to the North Shore as well which may be preferable depending which part of the "north shore" you're trying to get to). And some of those "downtown routes", again presuming the goal is the LGB, take considerably longer than others....

#2443 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

ASE!!! Go grab another coffee or something. It's too early for this stuff!

:)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2444 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

^ it wasn't too early yesterday when he posted this though! 😆
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2445 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

Quote -

"......To get from Broadway to the north shore you have to cross through downtown Vancouver and its maze of stalled traffic, then you get onto the bridge, only to face further congestion because the darned thing was built as a two-lane crossing that only managed to have a third lane squeezed in...."

This tells me nothing; there are a multitude of routes "through downtown" to get to the bridge (by which I presume you are referring to the Lions Gate? There is another bridge to the North Shore as well which may be preferable depending which part of the "north shore" you're trying to get to). And some of those "downtown routes", again presuming the goal is the LGB, take considerably longer than others....

Indeed. And Seattle has two giant freeways running right through the centre of the city. And yet their traffic is as bad as Vancouver's. Actually, it is much worse, because the freeways are massive single points of failure:

http://www.kiro7.com...truck/497984963

• AllseeingEye likes this

#2446 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

I'll take seattle's freeways over Vancouver's nonsense any day. I don't think you've actually driven in either of those cities during rush hour, Corey, nor are either of those two cities comparable in terms of population.

Know it all.

#2447 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

I'll take seattle's freeways over Vancouver's nonsense any day. I don't think you've actually driven in either of those cities during rush hour, Corey, nor are either of those two cities comparable in terms of population.

Having driven in both during rush hour (and a whole lot of other US cities over the years), Vancouver isn't that bad. And sorry, free-flowing traffic isn't the only thing that matters. Vancouver is actually doing something about people who don't drive. And sorry, it's actually popular. NPA has run on explicitly anti-bike platforms for two times running and, hey!, Gregor is still mayor.

#2448 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

So the truth comes out, hey?What are you doing driving around cities during rush hours? You're supposed to be a die-hard cycling advocate!?

J/k. Anyways, Seattle is a horrible example. Just because it's close to Vancouver doesn't mean it's comparable to Vancouver. I'd put their network well ahead of Vancouver's, by a mile, but it's definitely not perfect.

Know it all.

#2449 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

NPA has run on explicitly anti-bike platforms for two times running and, hey!, Gregor is still mayor.

If there's anything Hipsters do well, it's mobilizing a small army of beards, bikes and craft beer to the polling stations. 

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2450 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

If there's anything Hipsters do well, it's mobilizing a small army of beards, bikes and craft beer to the polling stations. 

Except that voters in muni elections, like most elections, skew older

#2451 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

So the new LED street lights are NOT helping with my insomnia. 

You know how on a full moon night you get a little extra light through the curtains?  Well the damn street light takes that to a whole new level.  I can pinpoint easily the exact location of the light through my curtains.  There's no shroud on them to keep the light shining downwards (you know, to the road where it's needed) and they seem to have jumped on this "blue light looks fancier" bandwagon. 

If it was just a little brighter I think I could pick out the colours on my blanket in my bedroom. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2452 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

Except that voters in muni elections, like most elections, skew older

I think the exception to that rule which is normally the case can be claimed by Landslide Lisa and her Fernwood Farmers. I know one of the campaign advisers from that election and he was explaining the planned strategy of mobilizing the Fernwood crowd was a deliberate and some might say successful strategy 

#2453 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

You know how on a full moon night you get a little extra light through the curtains?  Well the damn street light takes that to a whole new level.  I can pinpoint easily the exact location of the light through my curtains.  There's no shroud on them to keep the light shining downwards (you know, to the road where it's needed) and they seem to have jumped on this "blue light looks fancier" bandwagon. 

If it was just a little brighter I think I could pick out the colours on my blanket in my bedroom. 

Time for some aluminum foil on your windows.   :banana:

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2454 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

blinds.ca blackout blinds.  dirt cheap.

• Bingo likes this

#2455 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

Time for some aluminum foil on your windows.   :banana:

Or modify your hat to include fold down eye shades.

• Nparker likes this

#2456 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

Here is what you need seb

http://www.dermstore...campaign=504155

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2457 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

I rode down Prospect Lake Road yesterday.... wow, that road is a mess now! This winter did a real number on it... massive (and many!) deep new potholes, a tonnage of loose gravel and a largish area that's currently underwater made my motorcycle journey pretty treacherous. Hope this road is on the Public Work's radar, it's on life-support as it stands.

#2458 CriticalMass

CriticalMass
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:53 AM

What's BC Hydro up to on Interurban Rd?

Do they have something underground that they are testing?

Something to do with the Substation opposite Camosun?

#2459 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

A picture would say a thousand words...

Nothing about work there on Hydro's Capital projects map

What's BC Hydro up to on Interurban Rd?

Do they have something underground that they are testing?

Something to do with the Substation opposite Camosun?

#2460 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Admirals Rd Safety Improvements - Hallowell to Maplebank

BC Bid has a tender open improvements to Admirals Rd.  Description below.

To improve the safety of the Admirals Road corridor generally between Hallowell Road and Maplebank Road via widening for curb and gutter install, including sidewalks, Capital Regional District trail, improved accesses and turning lanes at Hallowell, See-Nu-Pin, and Maplebank Road including improved corridor lighting, pedestrian crosswalk, and signalization of Maplebank Road. Work includes storm drainage, concrete works, roadway construction, paving, and traffic, quality and environmental management during construction

Edited by Linear Thinker, 04 April 2017 - 07:05 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users