Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2501 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

^ Now now...lets all get along.  Langford has some beautiful lakeside boardwalks, very nice areas...as does Saanich, Sidney, Victoria, Esquimalt etc etc etc...... 

• LocalMom likes this

#2502 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

and clubhouses.  I hear the one on Spencer is really nice!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2503 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:18 PM

Glenwood would never open on San Pen

#2504 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:01 PM

Costco is basically the only reason I go to Langford. And I try and only go at 7pm on a weekday. I am curious what unforeseen mess this second lane causes.
  • LocalMom and sdwright.vic like this

#2505 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

It's typical of the Victorians going g to Langford bashing types.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2506 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

I dunno, Langford folks constantly remind us how everything they need is in Langford, and they only go in to the city for work.

It goes both ways, nobody is bashing anyone if their sole reason to go somewhere is to shop.
  • LocalMom likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2507 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

I dunno, Langford folks constantly remind us how everything they need is in Langford, and they only go in to the city for work.

It goes both ways, nobody is bashing anyone if their sole reason to go somewhere is to shop.

Unclear here....."if there sole reason to go somewhere to shop"?

Open season on families that work for BC (legislated in the core) that can't afford to live downtown?

#2508 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:00 AM

^I guess you've been missing every thing that's happening over on the homeless thread?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2509 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

If residents of the Westshore keep reminding folks that "everything I need is in Langford (except employment)," I don't see why it should ruffle feathers when someone says "everything I need is in the city (except Costco)."

So no, that's not a jab st families, it's a statement to take us back down to earth from the silliness that tends to invade these discussions.

Ok, we've seen enough, back to local roads :)
  • Nparker, rjag, Coreyburger and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2510 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

Uptown-Saanich-Plaze-pedestrian-crossing.jpg

Work starts on pedestrian crossing between Uptown and Saanich Plaza

http://victoria.citi...-saanich-plaza/

• nagel likes this

Know it all.

#2511 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

That will be interesting especially when the ferry traffic hits that spot. An overhead walkway may have made more sense

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#2512 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

That will be interesting especially when the ferry traffic hits that spot. An overhead walkway may have made more sense

Kind of expensive when it would need an elevator.  Also impractical when Saanich is considering redoing Blanshard as 2 way (widening) with a redevelopment of the Save On section to reroute the "highway" off of Vernon.

#2513 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

No elevator here

#2514 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

Maybe get your measuring tape out and find out the length of that to get back to grade on either end.  I think that would put it on Vernon Ave even if it started on P4 of Uptown.

Or we could make a corkscrew ramp.  Who cares what the cost is.  How dare they have a beg button crossing that delays cars by 30 seconds every once in a while.

#2515 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

I think a controlled pedestrian crossing is between 25-200K depending on the level of traffic signalling required.  A ped overpass is over 1 million and would come with a significant grading and space issue on the Save On side.

#2516 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Ignoring your sarcasm for the moment, I was posting this as an opinion and a 'why not' comment. There arent very many folks crossing there and in fact I think more mid-block cross over from Save On to the co-op housing on the other side by Garth Homer. Seems a ramp on the Save On side and it terminating on the upper deck at Uptown where the elevators and moving stairs are already in place. 

• malahatdrive likes this

#2517 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

There's another mid-block crossing going in on Vernon as part of the Nigel Valley redevelopment that is slowly churning through approvals.  Along with, gasp, a lane removal.

Just saw the design on Victoria Buzz.  Nice to see the stop sign is FAR back from the crosswalk and it appears there will be a no right on red signal for turning into Uptown.

http://victoriabuzz....-saanich-plaza/

#2518 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

I think a controlled pedestrian crossing is between 25-200K depending on the level of traffic signalling required.  A ped overpass is over 1 million and would come with a significant grading and space issue on the Save On side.

In 2015 when they installed two uncontrolled pedestrian crossings downtown (800-block Yates, 500-block Pandora), there was a $106k budget for those two projects. A controlled crosswalk across a four lane Blanshard would have to be north of 250k...all of those signals are not cheap. Curious as to who is paying for this all. Seems like Morguard is the lead, but is the Ministry or Saanich contributing I wonder.

#2519 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

It may be Morguard as a condition for approval of Uptown Phase 4.

#2520 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

Here's the aerial, as per today's press release. I didn't see this earlier, it was tucked away in a link at the bottom of the release.

Uptown-pedestrian-crossing-aerial.jpg

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users