Escher on Broughton
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 836-838 Broughton Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 10-storey Escher on Broughton condo is comprised of 84-units of one-bedroom, two-bedroom and penthouse con... (view full profile)
Learn more about Escher on Broughton on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Escher on Broughton | 10-storeys; 29.9m | Condos | Built - completed in 2017

• Please log in to reply
472 replies to this topic

#41 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

I think an 'Escher' will be a bit tougher to build than 'Mondrian'. :P

LW426-MC-Escher-Belvedere-1958.jpg

LW399-MC-Escher-Convex-and-Concave-19551

LW410-MC-Escher-Print-Gallery-19561.jpg

LW439-MC-Escher-Waterfall-19611.jpg

Edited by amor de cosmos, 07 May 2014 - 05:35 PM.

• Holden West and Nparker like this

#42 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

Does Chard have Dutch roots? Wondering whey he has chosen these particular artists to name his projects after.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

Just for the sake of bringing everyone up to speed, here are his project names ordered by date:

Corazon

Juliet

The 834

The Sovereign

Duet (initially Pavo)

Escher on Broughton

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

& then there's this one

LW389-MC-Escher-Relativity-19531.jpg

they managed to make it work in labyrinth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4AERlCDc0

Edited by amor de cosmos, 08 May 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

Press release on the project:

INTRODUCING: ESCHER FROM CHARD DEVELOPMENT

We are extremely pleased to announce our latest downtown Victoria condominium project.

Located at 838 Broughton Street near the YMCA and Royal Theatre, Escher will be a 10-storey, 82-suite building full of modern features and customization options like none the city has ever seen—a completely new take on what it means to live downtown.

Escher will launch with a large selection of one and two-bedroom suites starting at $219,000 , each of which can be personalized to suit your taste and vision. In addition to having three designer-curated style palettes to choose from, you'll be able to modify your backsplash, accent wall colours, built-in furnishings and more. It’s a new kind of condo-buying experience, offering purchasers more control over their new home than ever before.

Escher is Chard’s sixth residential development in Victoria, following the success of Corazon, Juliet, The 834, The Sovereign and Duet. Working alongside our team on the project, we’re pleased to have three of the industry’s finest: MCM Partnership, one of BC’s most respected architectural practices; the award-winning Proscenium Architecture + Interiors; and Farmer Construction, a family-run Victoria company for over 60 years.

You can expect to hear from us again soon with your invitation to Escher’s special VIP Preview, happening this June. Over the coming weeks, you’ll also find more information and news posted on the Escher website . In the meantime, if you have any questions about the project, don't hesitate to contact us by email or by calling 250-590-9940 daily from Noon-5pm.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

http://www.vicnews.c.../258705211.html

#47 cocity

cocity
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

Perhaps the black & white pictures are not doing the building justice, but from what I have seen it looks like a bland building with a lame ground level. The parking entrance is wide & cavernous, the lobby entrance is set way back (in the cavern), and the rest of that level does not seem to have very good street level interaction.

Personally, I think that getting the ground floor right in a building that is llikely going to be around for for over 40 years is much more important to the health of a downtown than bonus-density payments. 

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

Personally, I think that getting the ground floor right in a building that is likely going to be around for for over 40 years is much more important to the health of a downtown than bonus-density payments. 

I wish someone had held this opinion when the Wave (on Yates) was going through the approval process. It has the worst street level facade; set-back, bland, and it has a huge garage entry presence. Pretty much text book on how NOT to create an urban ground floor. 

#49 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

I think we have to be careful forcing a main-street ground floor interaction onto every street in the "downtown" area. I don't think this is a very good site for retail, so live/work townhouses probably require a bit of setback.  That should be done attractively, but I would think 860 View or 1030 Yates would be good models for this.   

I agree that the lobby entrance is pretty cavernous.  I will point out, that there are some security advantages to having your front door offset from the sidewalk.  People try to nip in when residents open the door, and thats harder if they need to be standing obviously next to the door, rather than out on the sidewalk.  

As for the Wave's street interaction I'll argue again that it is hardly the worst downtown, and point out that it is home to three successful businesses.  I think it could have been a lot better, but surely its a huge improvement over most of the stuff built in the 80s and 90s.  

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

We'll be seeing high quality Escher renderings soon.

As for The Wave I'm sure it would have been much better received if it had fronted onto the north side of Yates. A cafe and/or restaurant in one or two of the spaces would have brightened up the frontage.

Know it all.

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

^ It would be a million times better if it didn't have tinted windows.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

My main gripe with the Wave is that the ground floor windows are tinted, which gives the impression that I'm not supposed to see what's going on inside those businesses like it's a big secret or something. It makes them seem very unfriendly/uninviting.

Other than that I think the ground floor is OK.

Edit: G-Man beat me by a second. I guess I need to learn how to be more concise.

Edited by jonny, 12 May 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Oh definitely, tinted groundfloor windows are bad bad bad. 

It could have been far worse but it also could have been so much better. And those blinds at the Rinald space ...yikes.

Know it all.

#54 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

The blinds are bad too.

The tinted windows are unforgivable. I could see if this was Florida or something where intense sunlight is an issue. Tinted windows could help reduce energy consumption. But north facing ground floor windows in BC? No way.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

And it's stuff like this that I wish the planning department paid more attention to. Tinted windows are a bad idea and yet nobody seemed to mind at City Hall.

Know it all.

#56 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

I think we have to be careful forcing a main-street ground floor interaction onto every street in the "downtown" area. I don't think this is a very good site for retail, so live/work townhouses probably require a bit of setback.  That should be done attractively, but I would think 860 View or 1030 Yates would be good models for this.   

I agree that the lobby entrance is pretty cavernous.  I will point out, that there are some security advantages to having your front door offset from the sidewalk.  People try to nip in when residents open the door, and thats harder if they need to be standing obviously next to the door, rather than out on the sidewalk.  

As for the Wave's street interaction I'll argue again that it is hardly the worst downtown, and point out that it is home to three successful businesses.  I think it could have been a lot better, but surely its a huge improvement over most of the stuff built in the 80s and 90s.  

Yeah, I'd agree 860 View is a better model for the bottom floor of this building. It doesn't seem like a good site for retail. All the Fort st retail is just one block down.

#57 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

^ Agree. Chard only has to look at the 834 for a model actually. Though that has a pretty bad garage entrance but the townhouse portion is good, save the colour.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

This is at council for rezoning tonight.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

That would explain why I ran into Dave Chard today.

Know it all.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

This is at council for rezoning tonight.

Passed unanimously.  Only 2 public speakers, one neutral/unknown, one in support.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users