Photo

CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
959 replies to this topic

#301 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

The article says the deployment is 'nearly' six months, which would mean no free flights.

Another poster mistakenly indicated '6+' months.

I was wrong, entitled starts at 90 days but on a reduced schedule (ie 33% of posted allowance amount).

http://esquimaltmfrc...ploads/HLTA.pdf

#302 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Sounds unreal.

Edited by HB, 06 March 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#303 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Sounds unreal.

Is it fair in my opinion. Service members are less productive if they are worried about affairs back home. This helps alleviate that stress.

#304 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

It's slang, there will be no cocktails as we now have a dry navy of course, it means this is not part of any mission or operation; think of more of a goodwill and training deployment.  All the details - including the countries they are visiting! - are here on page 2 of the Lookout Newspaper

http://www.lookoutne...17-03-06-09.pdf

The ships will stop in China, South Korea, Japan, the Philippines, Malaysia, India and Sri Lanka. Poseidon

Cutlass 17 includes participation in multinational task group interoperability exercises, and above and below water warfare training, and an ambassadorial role for the ships’ company with international engagements at their ports of call.

#305 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

It's slang, there will be no cocktails as we now have a dry navy of course, it means this is not part of any mission or operation; think of more of a goodwill and training deployment.  All the details - including the countries they are visiting! - are here on page 2 of the Lookout Newspaper

Too funny - that is my neighbor Chris in the red jersey to Trudeau's immediate left in that pic. Seems he didn't get the memo about not pulling ahead of JT on the run whiel the media was present. Poor b**tard is probably now doomed to 90 days' KP duty. Maybe that explains why we haven't seen him around the neighborhood now in several days?

#306 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

If you look at pictures released by the media, there are plenty of folks ahead of him at all times, there was no 'don't run in front of Trudeau and make him look bad in front of the PM' directive and the VV video shows dozens ahead of him from the start line. When you have hundreds of people running/walking, stick the fast at the front, the moderate in the middle and slow and walkers towards the back to avoid congestion in the narrow areas. Keep in mind traffic is still operating throughout the route.

#307 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

Ok, phew. HB can relax now that the veil of secrecy that was thrust upon him has been removed  :rtfm: *

From the article: The ships will stop in China, South Korea, Japan, the Philippines, Malaysia, India and Sri Lanka.

*just razzing you, HB. All in good fun :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#308 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

First the tot and then the beer, it's just not right I tell ya.

• AllseeingEye likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#309 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

First the tot and then the beer, it's just not right I tell ya.

Hard to be believe its been 45 years since the RCN dispensed with the "tot", and even longer for the RN which of course initiated the practice in the 17th century....

#310 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Used to be able to trade your "tot" for people to cover your watch in foreign ports. Heck of a deal.

#311 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:45 AM

Canada Defence Minister was onboard HMCS Winnipeg in Malaysia For a Visit yesterday

Edited by HB, 25 April 2017 - 05:46 AM.

#312 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

I see our defense minister is being roasted for embellishing his accomplishments in Afghanistan. 

Should be calls for his resignation Monday.

#313 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

Why should he resign.he just embellished big deal  who has never done that? .. Justin Trudeau is a Liar Christy Clark is a liar, should they resign too?

#314 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

Why should he resign.he just embellished big deal  who has never done that? .. Justin Trudeau is a Liar Christy Clark is a liar, should they resign too?

In an ideal world yes. Stolen valour is fatal for a politician though. 

With respect to Sajjan, there should be no surprises. Many of us commented at the time that given his background and his role in the reserves his contribution would have been pretty limited.

Edited by spanky123, 29 April 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#315 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt has blocked an advertisement in the base newspaper asking survivors of sexual harassment, assault and discrimination to come forward, saying it might “amplify the sexual harassment issue.”

The rejection conflicts with statements by Canadian Forces top brass that they are committed to rooting out sexual misconduct in the military ranks, lawyer Rajinder Sahota said.

http://www.timescolo...tims-1.20012987

Of course, now by refusing the ad it has created more publicity than the ad ever would have. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#316 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

http://www.timescolo...tims-1.20012987

Of course, now by refusing the ad it has created more publicity than the ad ever would have. 

It makes sense to me that a law firm who is suing the military should not be permitted to run ads in a military paper to try and further their case. I guess that Helps' / Desjardins' decision to pay for Elsner to sue them has created the perception that this should be some sort of precedent!

#317 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

It makes sense to me that a law firm who is suing the military should not be permitted to run ads in a military paper to try and further their case. I guess that Helps' / Desjardins' decision to pay for Elsner to sue them has created the perception that this should be some sort of precedent!

How autonomous is the newspaper though?   They charge other companies to run ads, so it's not like it's just a staff newsletter.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#318 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:22 AM

It's not independent by any realistic measure.

It's run by DND Public Affairs. Issues are vetted before publication.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#319 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

I found it interesting that the "Lookout" published stories about the court marshal of two separate incidences that involved sexual harassment.

Have a look at page 14

http://www.lookoutne...17-05-15-19.pdf

EDIT: plus an awareness seminar on page 13

#320 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

I found it interesting that the "Lookout" published stories about the court marshal of two separate incidences that involved sexual harassment.

Have a look at page 14

http://www.lookoutne...17-05-15-19.pdf

EDIT: plus an awareness seminar on page 13

Nothing out of the ordinary there, they routinely publish many types of court marshals and summary trials in The Lookout and full lists of charges and results can be viewed on the intranet. Public shaming can be a good deterrent for some.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users